Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dyson Vacs

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2011, 09:11 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dyson Vacs

Ok so long ago we had the original Blue dyson all floors, it started smoking so we threw it in the garage and bought one of them new super small dyson ***** Vacs, which are about 250 300 quid, anyway its been ok, till it broke, i rang Dyson and as always exemplary service guy came out from homeserve replaced the part and walla done.

Whilst he was here i asked about the old un, yeah sure he said 69 quid to reapir, or 79 for 1 year warrenty and i,ll reapir as well. so i went for warr

and walla new motor so i now have 2 Lucky me eh.

Anyway the old one is FAR superior than the little new one, just be aware dont expect the new compact ones, to be the same, even though NO LOSS OF SUCTION advert

the old school yellow Blues Purples in my book are still the best and totally outclass the DC24

DC 33
Dc 34

best

ted
Old 07 November 2011, 09:16 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are quite easy to repair. The motor went in mine and £20 for an uprated turbo version ( ) of the motor and about an hour to strip down the vacuum cleaner and put it back together again.

Videos were all over YouTube.

Steve
Old 07 November 2011, 09:16 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Is it trolling if I say I think Miele are better?
Old 07 November 2011, 09:18 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

heh yeah Miele are good, but when i got my others i actually didnt know they made Vacs, only washing machines.
Old 07 November 2011, 09:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

DC04 is the daddy IMO: We have the model with better quality motor. There are two different DC04s (with exception to various available sub models in various colours) one has reportably a weaker motor so doesn't take nicely to blocked/neglected pre and post filters, which gave it a bad name, but the better motor can be retrofitted, its a £40 part - sort the filters first though...especially the post motor one as it clogs with carbon brush dust).

Our old DC04 is still being bashed about our offices with little care or sympathy. I'm tempted to take it back home actually as the filters don't need cleaning out as regular as the DC07 we have at home. Seems the older dual cyclone trap smaller dust particles better than the newer multiple cylcone vacuums. Parts are fairly priced, and easy to obtain too, so its win win.

Of course what the cyclone doesn't trap goes straight into the filter, however I suspect its partially due to the dust container on newer ones being overfilled, the DC04 hold loads, but the DC07 is beyond full after giving the whole house a once over. Obviously the cyclone thingy won't work properly if there is no room to spin the air if the crap in container is above the full line. However try telling 'her' that.

My grans Miele vacuum went into the skip; Cleaner was ok (barring the cord retract drum kept breaking the wires), but the bags were too expensive. She tried using unbranded ones, but they just kept tearing or leaking so just reciculated the dust back into her house! I got her a DC03 instead.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07 November 2011, 09:31 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude

Indeed, 10 year warranty on ours
Old 07 November 2011, 09:38 AM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

I got a Samsung a few months ago, looked at the Dysons but was going for as much power as possible. The Samsung has something like 2000 watt motor and 2300 air watt - it sucks like a beast!
Old 07 November 2011, 09:43 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChefDude
I agree
Old 07 November 2011, 09:50 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

We've still got the original DC01 (yellow & grey) - about 12 yrs old now I think

My wife is desperately trying to break it, as she wants one of these new 'Ball' type ones - are they any good - they look horribly brittly plastic to me...?

But I have fixed & replaced parts on that DC01 for years - theres pretty much nothing you cant get for less that £20 online that you cant fit yourself....
Try telling my missus that tho

I bought her a new set of of wheels for it for her Wedding Anniv
Old 07 November 2011, 10:06 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by pigSTi
I got a Samsung a few months ago, looked at the Dysons but was going for as much power as possible. The Samsung has something like 2000 watt motor and 2300 air watt - it sucks like a beast!

I salvaged a Samsung cylinder vacuum fro a skip. I use it to clean the car with

Some feejit had tried using carrier bags instead of dustbags, so obviously no airflow= overheated motor. Luckily it has an overheat thermal trip so saved the motor, but it would cut out after 5mins of use. Took it apart cleaned it out, retrofitted a decent HEPA bag from an old Phillips Mobillo that had since died (via overheating and eating the motor brushes - I couldn't obtain new ones ). Works a treat! I'll ebay it when I run out of bags as the proper Samsung bag aren't that cheap (still have 20bags left from the old Philips which I can make fit).

This is getting a bit sad/obsessive, but I realised I have a load of vacuum cleaners in addition to the above ones:

A Vax 2000 3in1: I usually use that get the leaves and gunk out of the oustide drains.
Bissell powerwash (for wet-cleaning carpets)
Karcher Puzzi (Italian crap used for wet-valeting car interiors)
Shop-vac wet and dry; converted for use as a dust collector with the power sander/circular saw.
A Hoover Senior (antique)
A Dirt Devil Infinity VS 8 cylinder in Spain (rebranded Vac Mach III dyson copy, but with a DC motor)
And a Vax Mach 6 dyson rip-off in the other office (sucks like a good'un but totally clogs up the filters within the space of a few weeks. The DC04 can go for over 6months before it'll need cleaning).

Thats in addition to all the ones in the past that have died (Henry, Phillips Mobillo piece of crap, Sealey piece of crap, Karcher piece of crap, Electrolux piece of crap etc )

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:09 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

yeah just check my 1 thats awsome is a DC07,

Id personally get a full size one if any dont got for that small thing like us.

Id hope the new DC33 full size are as good as the DC04 07 that me and Ali pray to
Old 07 November 2011, 10:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I like my old Vax..........great suction and it uses a CLOTH bag, so when it' starts to get full, I empty it, turn it inside out, give it a good shake and away I go again.

About every five empties I wash it, and use the spare.

Saves me a load in bags.

Got a decent Electrolux-made aqua-something in France, costs us €14 for FIVE bags!!
Old 07 November 2011, 12:06 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

What's a vacuum?

I'll ask the wife

She says it's the Vax that she uses and apparently it works a treat.
Old 07 November 2011, 12:56 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

My Mum had a Hoover Constellation for about 20 years.
Very good never went wrong.Don't know if the new ones are any good.
Dyson go on about their 'ball' but this thing uses hovercraft technology to float around!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=hoo...1t:429,r:1,s:0
Old 07 November 2011, 01:27 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
We've still got the original DC01 (yellow & grey) - about 12 yrs old now I think

My wife is desperately trying to break it, as she wants one of these new 'Ball' type ones - are they any good - they look horribly brittly plastic to me...?

But I have fixed & replaced parts on that DC01 for years - theres pretty much nothing you cant get for less that £20 online that you cant fit yourself....
Try telling my missus that tho

I bought her a new set of of wheels for it for her Wedding Anniv
I'm the same, have an original (1996 I think) DC01 Absolute - running nicely as a "garage" vac. Was the first domestic vac with HEPA filters IIRC, but probably has no filters in at all these days, but sucks well and seems to do the job for the car. It's had the odd part from eBay over the years, to keep it going - and has certainly taken some abuse. Keeps on running though.

The wife wanted something newer, so last year I bought a DC25 Overdrive - and the ball works really well (very "steerable"). Good that the brush bar is now driven by a switchable electric motor (so you can turn it off on hard floors) and the accessories seem to fit on the machine better than on the DC01 (which tends to drop them as you wander around). She likes it... but it doesn't seem quite as solid as the DC01 (but still adequate).

DN
Old 07 November 2011, 01:28 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with whats been said the older dysons are the best. I've a DC04 and it just keeps on going. replaced a few of the hoses and thats it. MY mum hs a newer dydson and that keeps getting blocked and parts breaking on it 2x motors etc, and the amount of time the works dyson ball thingy get blocked is amazing, that did a motor in 6 weeks.
Cleaner at work does not like it either - she reckons that a Henry would be better.

Richard
Old 07 November 2011, 01:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by richs2891
MY mum hs a newer dydson and that keeps getting blocked and parts breaking on it 2x motors etc, and the amount of time the works dyson ball thingy get blocked is amazing, that did a motor in 6 weeks.
Cleaner at work does not like it either - she reckons that a Henry would be better.

Richard
Its worth pointing out that a blocked or partially blocked vacuum (filters or otherwise) will rapidily kill the motor due to overheating. Probably the demise of most vacuum cleaners out there.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 02:02 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I salvaged a Samsung cylinder vacuum fro a skip.
Lets get this straight then

You went to the dump, to look through the skips, to see what you could find?
Old 07 November 2011, 02:16 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

We have a large and a ball and I have to agree with you. We basically use the ball for lugging upstairs and in the attic but use the larger one for the hallway/living room/etc...
Old 07 November 2011, 02:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by urban
Lets get this straight then

You went to the dump, to look through the skips, to see what you could find?
Not quite I saw it when passing a skip whilst walking the dog. See here: https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...er-diving.html

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 02:53 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

OK - that's different
I had visions of someone looking forward to his visit to the dump to rummage through skips
Old 07 November 2011, 03:47 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CREWJ
We have a large and a ball and I have to agree with you. We basically use the ball for lugging upstairs and in the attic but use the larger one for the hallway/living room/etc...
eerrr - OK whats the difference between a 'large' and a 'ball'

I thought the Ball was a full size upright cleaner?
Old 07 November 2011, 03:49 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
eerrr - OK whats the difference between a 'large' and a 'ball'

I thought the Ball was a full size upright cleaner?
Like this (I forget the exact model);

And the small one here;