Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Noisy phone line.

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2011, 02:13 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noisy phone line.

Not sure if this counts as DIY or Computer Related so I'll stick it in here for now for a bit of coverage.

Our phone line has been quite noisy for a few months now, at first I thought our cordless phone (digital) was on the blink but after a bit of faffing around at the weekend I tried a corded phone in the main socket and the noise is still there though slightly better than the cordless.

To remove all uncertainty I took the face plate off the socket and plugged the corded phone straight into the master socket thus taking all ADSL, extension wiring etc. out of the equation - the noise is still there.

Now time to ring BT you would think but I just want to try an rule a few other things out....

A long time before this problem started I moved our master socket (yes I know you're not supposed to but BT's charges are extortionate). This has moved the phone wiring nearer to some mains cabling for some sockets etc. Could that be causing the noise? But if so why has it only recently become a problem? Also at the time of moving the master socket the drop cable looked like it was partially severed (may have got caught in the garage door), so I carefully stripped it back to reveal that a few of the wires were broken, I carefully soldered the broken ones back together but again no noise at the time.

More recently we've had our broadband upgraded to fibre to cabinet (FTTC) and at the time I was still convinced the cordless phone was the problem. That all works fine so would suggest that the line itself isn't that bad?

If I have to get BT out then we'll obviously just tell them that was how it was when we moved in with respect to the damaged drop cable and the master sockets current location The bloke who did the FTTC installation didn't mention anything about it.
Old 31 October 2011, 03:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It sounds as though it could be due to a poor line connection somewhere. We had a similar problem and it turned out to be a poor connection at a junction box about 1/2 a mile away.

You seemed to have confirmed that the fault is on the outside line and if that is so then BT have to stand the cost of fixing it.

It might still be worthwhile to borrow another phone to check for sure that your phone is serviceable, if not you will get charged.

Les
Old 31 October 2011, 03:08 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be inclined to agree with Les too.

I had similar problem about a year ago.

Its started off noise on the line, broadband speeds gradually became crippled.

Turned out I had two problems.
Problem one was that at some junction box several hundred yards away, it was partly underwater.

Second problem found by engineer is that my line was on the wrong cable strands.
He desccribed it to me as you should be on strands 1&2, or 3&4 whereas I was on 1&3, or 2&4
Old 31 October 2011, 03:51 PM
ChrisB

Ring 17070 and run a quiet line test (option #2) when in the test socket - if it's still noisy, log it as a fault
Old 31 October 2011, 03:58 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Ring 17070 and run a quiet line test (option #2) when in the test socket - if it's still noisy, log it as a fault
I have tried this and sometimes it seems okay but it's always bad when on the phone to anyone and seems especially bad when I'm talking to my partially deaf Dad

The wiring for the two mains sockets that run close to the telephone line are from a spur off another socket so as an experiment it would be easy enough to temporarily disconnect it all so might try that later.

As mentioned really just want to rule everything else out before calling BT as I know they are quite happy to charge you ££ if they can show it to be your problem not theirs.