Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Regtranfers !!

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2011, 11:06 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regtranfers !!

New copy off Regtransfers magazine arrived last week and been having a good look thru it over the weekend and honesty cant belive what some private numbers are being valued at !!

H15 BMW- Yep nice plate for the bmw owner who want to tell the world its his but worth 30k ??!!

J444 ATX - 2K what ??!!

WES 50N - 30K

The list goes on !! do they ever sell these plates ?? massive mark up and a very well known company but do folk still spend masses off money on plates like this ??

anyone here sold a plate via them ?? have a plate up just now so hope they are good at selling but get the feeling a lot sit for year after year in the hope that some day some rich guy will pay there 30k asking price !!
Old 25 October 2011, 07:38 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. From time to time I have a look on the web for plates relating to my name/job and stuff I could have picked up for as little as £600 about a year ago is now on the market for £10k+

These are not timeless plates but of the type aa51 bbb

Either these are massively over priced and will never sell or I missed out on making a fortune!!
Old 25 October 2011, 07:59 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I recently found my exact initials embodied in

1 DT

Interesting...

...but not at £200k
Old 25 October 2011, 08:10 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

So how come they are still in business some 30 years later, they must surely be selling a decent amount of plates every week / month / year ??

as I say having a plate up for sale with them myself I really do hope they are good at selling but cant help but feel you have more chance off winning the lottery and I dont mean 3 numbers !!
Old 25 October 2011, 08:15 AM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

I got a new private reg the other month £400 from DVLA including all fees, its only 4 letters 1 number nice short plate, and it is my nick name which is just my shortened last name..

I would only buy from the DVLA site they seem to always be the cheapest, these other places must make some mark up on plates...
Old 25 October 2011, 09:58 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

H16 NFY

Bargain!

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2011, 10:02 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive sold a plate through them. I was very happy with the price I got and they must have made there pieces of silver too.

Just looked at they have my other 2 up at £27k and £60k ......
Old 25 October 2011, 11:04 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Ive sold a plate through them. I was very happy with the price I got and they must have made there pieces of silver too.

Just looked at they have my other 2 up at £27k and £60k ......
Okay but surely you must be getting a hefty sum if these plates priced at 27 k and 60k sell ?? for instance the plate I have with them they offered me £600 upon it selling and its up at 1k so thats £400 profit for them or room for negotations as they put it !!!

they must have surely offered you around 25k / 58k on the two above plates upon them selling yep ??
Old 25 October 2011, 12:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Jono, you're not taking into account that lots of plates on there have been valued by their owners who are probably not necessarily bothered about a sale but would happily take the inflated price if offered. Also Regtransfers make more commission if some mug is willing to pay the inflated price or thereabouts. I can log into my account there now and change the prices of the plates I have listed if I so wish.

I've recently sold a plate through Retransfers and it was for little less than advertised because I told them the first 2 offers were not acceptable and that I'd keep it myself if I didn't get what I wanted. Similarly I said if the person didn't want to pay it then fair enough it is their prerogative and I wouldn't be in the slightest offended if they withdrew all offers. Once a price was agreed the rest was quick, painless and very professionally handled.

Like anything worth buying you simply let someone know what you want to pay, that is the important figure. If the offer is mutually agreeable then all is good. You can easily buy for several thousand pounds less than advertised if the seller genuinely wants to sell.

Your example of your plate up at £1000 is never worth taking any notice of because depending on your circumstances you might accept an offer of £400 to sell which changes all the figures associated with the sale. That to me is still £380 more than some plates advertised for similar figures are worth though!
Old 25 October 2011, 12:31 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Cammy5106
I would only buy from the DVLA site they seem to always be the cheapest, these other places must make some mark up on plates...
Same here. I only use DVLA site as it's hugely cheaper than the other well known ones.

TX.
Old 25 October 2011, 12:51 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Jono, you're not taking into account that lots of plates on there have been valued by their owners who are probably not necessarily bothered about a sale but would happily take the inflated price if offered. Also Regtransfers make more commission if some mug is willing to pay the inflated price or thereabouts. I can log into my account there now and change the prices of the plates I have listed if I so wish.

I've recently sold a plate through Retransfers and it was for little less than advertised because I told them the first 2 offers were not acceptable and that I'd keep it myself if I didn't get what I wanted. Similarly I said if the person didn't want to pay it then fair enough it is their prerogative and I wouldn't be in the slightest offended if they withdrew all offers. Once a price was agreed the rest was quick, painless and very professionally handled.

Like anything worth buying you simply let someone know what you want to pay, that is the important figure. If the offer is mutually agreeable then all is good. You can easily buy for several thousand pounds less than advertised if the seller genuinely wants to sell.

Your example of your plate up at £1000 is never worth taking any notice of because depending on your circumstances you might accept an offer of £400 to sell which changes all the figures associated with the sale. That to me is still £380 more than some plates advertised for similar figures are worth though!
Okay with you now mate, thanks for the full explanation !! the only thing I will say is surely most folk get a valuation first before going ahead and thinking off a price to try ?? ie. take for instance " WES 50N " yep fair enough probably one off the better ones, but the owner when getting regtransfers to value that plate surely did not get told we will give you 25k and have it up for 30k did they ??!! you saying they possibly got told we will give you 1k, sell it for say £1700 but they thought nope will try 30k instead ??!!

and yep going back to my own plate, up for sale at 1k but if someone wants to offer me £600 then they can have it as thats what RT are going to give me anyway and £600 is more attractive than 1k for the buyer for what is the exact same item !!

is there anything to stop you advertisng your own plate elsewhere at a lower price than Regtranfers are selling your plate at ??
Old 25 October 2011, 12:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Same here. I only use DVLA site as it's hugely cheaper than the other well known ones.

TX.
They don't sell what I'd class as decent private plates, just the ones allocated relatively recently to make the DVLA some money. Any figure above £20 for 3 lame initials and a couple of numbers is overpriced. Anything decent will go to auction.
Old 25 October 2011, 01:02 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I did try a DVLA auction once ... quite scary what £'s the plates went for

TX.
Old 25 October 2011, 01:04 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by jono300
and yep going back to my own plate, up for sale at 1k but if someone wants to offer me £600 then they can have it as thats what RT are going to give me anyway and £600 is more attractive than 1k for the buyer for what is the exact same item !!
I'm guessing that if they get less then so will you!

TX.
Old 25 October 2011, 01:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Okay with you now mate, thanks for the full explanation !! the only thing I will say is surely most folk get a valuation first before going ahead and thinking off a price to try ?? ie. take for instance " WES 50N " yep fair enough probably one off the better ones, but the owner when getting regtransfers to value that plate surely did not get told we will give you 25k and have it up for 30k did they ??!! you saying they possibly got told we will give you 1k, sell it for say £1700 but they thought nope will try 30k instead ??!!
Yes, either scenario is possible. There will be a time where RT can refuse to list it I guess, if they feel it makes them look daft but that would mean constant site policing. When I log into my account I state what I want and the price advertised is then seemingly automatically increased by the commission required. Whether or not the software does this or all numbers are manually priced I don't know. I would assume it's automatic though due to the speed it appears and of course due to the amount of overpriced pap you see.
Though of course RT will want something from the hypothetical £600

is there anything to stop you advertisng your own plate elsewhere at a lower price than Regtranfers are selling your plate at ??
Nothing, but then why not just log in and lower the asking price with RT yourself?
Old 25 October 2011, 06:37 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers guess they must have a bank off workers / computer software which can all the plates offered to them and why such an innocent looking plate with slight doctoring can look very appealing and command such a high price !!

take for instance my plate own plate " R555 RAE " possibly be off interest to someone named rae or is it actualy spelt ray ??!! anyway do they have software that can say hang on just now- " 555 was that not subaru related sponsor many years ago ?? and come to think of it rae - was that not part surname off a certain scottish rally driver who drove that particular sponsored car ??!!

hence worth a bit more than just R 555 RAW or similiar ??!!
Old 25 October 2011, 07:38 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers guess they must have a bank off workers / computer software which can all the plates offered to them and why such an innocent looking plate with slight doctoring can look very appealing and command such a high price !!
The plate initially will all be valued by a person knowledgable in the trade. What happens after that is pretty much up to the plate owner though.

take for instance my plate own plate " R555 RAE " possibly be off interest to someone named rae or is it actualy spelt ray ??!! anyway do they have software that can say hang on just now- " 555 was that not subaru related sponsor many years ago ?? and come to think of it rae - was that not part surname off a certain scottish rally driver who drove that particular sponsored car ??!!

hence worth a bit more than just R 555 RAW or similiar ??!!
Software will only possibly calculate a commission percentage increase on a price, anything else will be done via a human valuer taking into account any similarities to anything that potentially could increase its value.
Old 25 October 2011, 07:50 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I saw a big jag just earlier when I went out for a drive, F1 TUP, deliberately mis-spaced as 'FIT UP'.

Lawyer, bent copper, or sports-equipment peddler?
Old 29 October 2011, 11:09 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Often wondered how folk can sell private plates via ebay ?? for instance seen one for sale on there today at 3k buy it now, if this sells what would be the ebay / paypal fees on this sort off money ?? or are the plates classed alongside cars ie. fees are different to other similarly priced non motoring related items ??
Old 29 October 2011, 11:35 PM
555)
Scooby Regular

the one ebay are just waiting for offers imho

i got one for £1k was up for £5k
Old 30 October 2011, 12:57 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yep appreciatte that, but as I say knowing what selling fees / paypal fees are when selling something at a fraction off this price !! would hate to think what the fees would be with selling a plate at say £600 and the buyer paying you via paypal !!

how much would it be ??!! suppose you could just bump the price being asked up to compensate for the fees !!

Last edited by jono300; 30 October 2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:31 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Christ, the spelling on this thread is so appalling I'm totally unsurprised that some feejits will buy plates that only have the vaguest resemblance to what they want.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:35 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Typing errors I call them mate !! you not on the beer tonite yourself ??!!

ps . edited my last post for you !!!
Old 30 October 2011, 01:46 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

ps . edited my last post for you !!!
To add more typos? You did well.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:48 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

How much is KN08 HED going for? or perhaps BEll END?
Old 30 October 2011, 01:49 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Or TO55 POT?
Old 30 October 2011, 02:00 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Guess you are on the beer after all !!!

No wonder you have such a high post count !!

Last edited by jono300; 30 October 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 30 October 2011, 02:08 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Guess you are on the beer after all !!!

No wonder you have such a high post count !!
Tip: You only need one exclamation mark per phrase. How about you stay on the point and debate about pointless, meaningless registration plates, rather than get sidelined into discussions about post counts, which, after all, are immaterial to the discussion?
Old 30 October 2011, 04:00 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yes sorry my mistake I thought it was you who strayed from the point off registrations with your smart remarks about spelling ??........ a well time to call it a nite !! - sorry one exclamation mark !