Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a new car and phoning dealers for quotes - do they take you seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2011, 08:18 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a new car and phoning dealers for quotes - do they take you seriously?

We are thinking of buying a Fiesta Metal for the wife.

I have a price for one off Drivethedeal.com and I have a Glass Guide price for our part ex. Audi A3.

Do you think dealers will start serious discussions over the phone? I don't have the time to drive around 10 dealers and drink their awful tea, listen to their crap and play their games (you know, the going to speak to their manager for 3 mins, pretending they are your friend).

Regards

Steve
Old 14 October 2011, 08:22 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I would say 'no'.

You should do it in person...

Steve
Old 14 October 2011, 08:26 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

That's what my head says too. Do I need to reserve a weekend or has anyone successfully got a good deal over the phone?

Steve
Old 14 October 2011, 08:31 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Always speak face to face.
Old 14 October 2011, 08:38 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I have bought two new cars in the last 8 months from dealers and got to the drivethedeal.com price eventually. Took a while.
Old 14 October 2011, 08:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SHUGSTERC
try webuyanycar.com put my reg in and car type....340 quid...sweet no bad for an impreza prodrive vgc just blew the turbo but they never knew that..and 1 of 25 ever built..prob 1 o the rarest subarus u can get...muppits
? Eh
Old 14 October 2011, 08:52 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

When I was buying my last Sti I rang a few dealers and told them I was definately buying a new Sti and asked what their best price was for cash. I got 3 written quotes then went to my local dealer with these and basically said "beat that" which he duly did.

Chip
Old 14 October 2011, 08:56 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
? Eh
That's what I thought...

In my experience (3 cars this year), dealers will only take you seriously face to face.
Old 14 October 2011, 08:57 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

choc obrian http://www.iwoc.co.uk/prodrive1.html read half way doon
Old 14 October 2011, 09:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SHUGSTERC
choc obrian http://www.iwoc.co.uk/prodrive1.html read half way doon

I believe you, just can't understand what the **** you typed in some semi English-Scottich text lingo.
Old 14 October 2011, 09:52 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

The last new car we bought we went round 3 dealers, asking their best price etc. Ended at the one nearest home where we were most likely to buy.

If you don't take credit or buy "Armorguard" protection treatment, you won't get such a good price.

Anyway having been round them twice and got the absolute best possible deal we ordered the car. About a month later get a call from one of the unsuccessful dealers, told him the price we paid less a bit, and he said "You should have contacted us again, we could have beaten that." Sorry mate but how many chances do you want?
Old 15 October 2011, 07:36 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I think it can be done over the phone to some extent. Ring at a quiet time ie not at the weekend and be very clear that you are in the market to buy this week and not just dreaming.

Tell them if an agreement on price can be reached you will send email confirmation immediately and drive down in the next 48 hours to sign it off.

Make it clear that you want to give them business right now and people usually respond.

Good luck
Old 15 October 2011, 08:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I do it face to face. Yes, allow a weekend, unless there is a specific car/model you want.

And I'm sorry, but the moment HE gets up "to speak to the manager", I'm following........since I have to DEAL with the manager, I will do THAT face to face too.

Feks up their little game.

BTW: the reason I now have a Scoob is because a dealer didn't take me seriously IN THE DEALERSHIP. He was VERY off hand, so I fekked him off and went to speak to his boss.

HE asked me what I was looking for, and when I told him I was unimpressed with a Pug 306 GTi6, he asked if I'd test-driven a Subaru?

I stil remember his words: "But a bit of advice: find out if you can afford one BEFORE you go for a test drive, since afterwards, you'll not be satisfied with anything else!"
Old 15 October 2011, 12:45 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I believe you, just can't understand what the **** you typed in some semi English-Scottich text lingo.
It's either a parody of moses or the man himself....
Old 15 October 2011, 06:15 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Steve, I think it can be done over the phone to some extent. Ring at a quiet time ie not at the weekend and be very clear that you are in the market to buy this week and not just dreaming.

Tell them if an agreement on price can be reached you will send email confirmation immediately and drive down in the next 48 hours to sign it off.

Make it clear that you want to give them business right now and people usually respond.

Good luck
Do you think they will offer a px value on the car over the phone? I know that the key is the price to change not the new car discount or the px price.

Do they really care? The wife's A3 is of an age where it will be on the first transporter to the auctions even though it is in great condition.

Steve
Old 15 October 2011, 06:28 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I got some quotes online and then told the dealer at Shepshed Ford, what I wanted. I ordered my Fiesta Zetec-S and paid only £80 more than it cost the stealer to buy the car from Ford.
Old 15 October 2011, 06:33 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I got some quotes online and then told the dealer at Shepshed Ford, what I wanted. I ordered my Fiesta Zetec-S and paid only £80 more than it cost the stealer to buy the car from Ford.

You think that, I doubt they sold it to you for £80 profit. even if you bought at the end of a reg period or something they would have made more than £80.
Old 15 October 2011, 06:42 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

What about the VAT then? Surely the dealer would have made a huge loss if this was the case or was it £80 over plus the VAT?
Old 15 October 2011, 06:44 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
You think that, I doubt they sold it to you for £80 profit. even if you bought at the end of a reg period or something they would have made more than £80.
I bought it from a very small dealer who only needs to sell a few units to meet their targets, hence how I got such a good deal. The £80 included £10 of fuel and whatever the pre-collection valet costs.

I've posted a thread about it before.
Old 15 October 2011, 06:47 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
What about the VAT then? Surely the dealer would have made a huge loss if this was the case or was it £80 over plus the VAT?
I didn't get it VAT free. However I actually received 2.5% VAT reductionas I ordered when it was at 17.5% and collected it once VAT was reduced to 15%.
Old 15 October 2011, 07:09 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

How do you know you paid only £80 over the cost price? Did he tell you this?
Old 15 October 2011, 08:26 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

What game are they playing when they need to speak to a manager?
Old 15 October 2011, 08:56 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I didn't get it VAT free. However I actually received 2.5% VAT reductionas I ordered when it was at 17.5% and collected it once VAT was reduced to 15%.
No what i mean is.... If the dealer only charged you £80 over the cost price then they would make a huge loss on the VAT that is applicable

i.e. Dealer pays £9920 for the car and charges you £10,000 for it. The dealer then owes the taxman £1304.35 (15% vat)

You see? you couldn't have possibly paid £80 more than the dealer paid for it unless vat was added after. i.e £10,000 + VAT
Old 15 October 2011, 09:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by R 14NS R
What game are they playing when they need to speak to a manager?
Salesman is in with you, makes you an offer, you tentantively agree, off he goes to "speak to the manager to OK it".

Comes back, "sorry manager says that won't fly, what about this?" and you agree again, and off he goes again.

When it happened to me I followed him second time he went, gave him time to leave the office, and I was with him.

He said, "What do you think you are doing?"

I said, "Well, if you need to speak to the manger, so do I. I'm not dealing with you any more, I'll deal direct thanks", and walked into the manger's office.

He, of course, had no idea what I was on about........

They just play mind games, but unfortunately, they think everyone is as dim as they are.
Old 15 October 2011, 10:04 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Salesman is in with you, makes you an offer, you tentantively agree, off he goes to "speak to the manager to OK it".

Comes back, "sorry manager says that won't fly, what about this?" and you agree again, and off he goes again.

When it happened to me I followed him second time he went, gave him time to leave the office, and I was with him.

He said, "What do you think you are doing?"

I said, "Well, if you need to speak to the manger, so do I. I'm not dealing with you any more, I'll deal direct thanks", and walked into the manger's office.

He, of course, had no idea what I was on about........

They just play mind games, but unfortunately, they think everyone is as dim as they are.

I can picture the scene now...
Old 15 October 2011, 10:09 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
No what i mean is.... If the dealer only charged you £80 over the cost price then they would make a huge loss on the VAT that is applicable

i.e. Dealer pays £9920 for the car and charges you £10,000 for it. The dealer then owes the taxman £1304.35 (15% vat)

You see? you couldn't have possibly paid £80 more than the dealer paid for it unless vat was added after. i.e £10,000 + VAT
I don't recall exactly how he did it as it was nearly three years ago now, but he didn't need to make a profit from the car, as with the bonus the dealership would get from Ford for selling their quouta, they would make much more from Ford, so would happily discount just to ensure they got the sale.

I'll dig out my order form after work tomorrow to see exactly how it was priced.
Old 15 October 2011, 10:48 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Again was the only proof he made £80 profit was that he told you that? If so I think he was telling you a little lie. They wouldn't work for that sort of margin, even to meet sales targets.
Old 15 October 2011, 10:56 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

It was sold through the sales chap that dealt with leases. I sorted the deal out for SW. The price paid would be clawed back through other leases. There really wasn't much profit in it, I'm sure it was sold for quite a bit less than list.
Old 15 October 2011, 11:00 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Sold at quite a bit less than list and sold for £80 profit are two entirely different things.
Old 15 October 2011, 11:05 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Picky bunch on here tonight. It was less than list, why does it concern you so much? The OP is looking for a deal, he's getting answers from people with experience.

I offered the OP the chance at getting a better deal the last time he was looking at Fiesta's, I don't know if he recalls it or not but it was there.

Quick Reply: Buying a new car and phoning dealers for quotes - do they take you seriously?