Anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2011, 11:42 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anxiety

Hi All

A quick question.......I am finding myself on edge recently...not sure why but the misses thinks it is anxiety.....

I do not want to go down the diazepam route so if anyone can advise me on effect legal OTC products then that would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old 13 October 2011, 11:47 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar episode recently, and found that intensive cardio exercise really helped.
Old 13 October 2011, 11:54 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lay off the weed for a bit....
Old 13 October 2011, 11:57 AM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Exercise, take 20 mins a day in a quiet room and simply concentrate on your breathing, pamper yourself i.e. Long baths with candles etc, take a break and have a week/weekend away
Old 13 October 2011, 12:04 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Cut down on alcohol, do your best to beat it yourself, dependancy on tablets to fix your problems should be a last resort.
Old 13 October 2011, 03:54 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Kalms are meant to be good, also if you drink lots of coffee or coke try and cut down.

http://www.kalmsstress.com/
Old 13 October 2011, 04:16 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
I had a similar episode recently, and found that intensive cardio exercise really helped.
+1. Exercise will really help. If you're inactive or not getting out as much as you're used to for any length of time there is the tendency to develop things like this. Could be wrong in your case of course.

Trending Topics

Old 13 October 2011, 05:49 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Go to Holland and Barrett and get some valerian extract, preferably liquid or tablets. Its a herbal remedy used as a muscle relaxant and sleep aid. My friend is a herbalist and gave me some and it works wonders but tastes like crap.

It takes the edge off, especially if you cant sleep or feel stressed. Worth a try.
Old 13 October 2011, 07:00 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
Go to Holland and Barrett and get some valerian extract, preferably liquid or tablets. Its a herbal remedy used as a muscle relaxant and sleep aid. My friend is a herbalist and gave me some and it works wonders but tastes like crap.

It takes the edge off, especially if you cant sleep or feel stressed. Worth a try.
Be very careful with Valerian extract as it should not be used for more than 2 weeks. Do your research carefully as IIRC it also affects liver function and has addictive properties.

IMHO anxiety needs to be tackled from many angles. Good advice here already re exercise, then you need to cut down booze, caffeine, cut out weed, address your diet, learn relaxation exercises, take up a new hobby or pick up an old one (Kung Fu, mountain biking and tai chi helped me), learn about the condition (books by Dr Claire Weekes are excellent), get cognitive help and medication if necessary (don't be ashamed), worth trying hypnotherapy if a good therapist is nearby, and most importantly, try and sort out any root cause of your anxiety that you can identify.

The more angles you can hit it from the better.

Simon
(Acute anxiety/panic attacks/depression sufferer for heaps of years, but better these days

Good luck

Last edited by SiPie; 13 October 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 13 October 2011, 07:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yep, as said, avoid booze, it works for a while (few hours) but then, with me anyway I dont get quality sleep, eat smaller meals and avoid crap food, again with me it keeps me up at night,

Exercise, I love my commute, resets me, the wetter and windier the better, I need to feel discomfort to appreciate comfort, I like to feel hungry to enjoy food and I think we all nowadays tend to avoid both.

The natural ways are always the best, I think with Daiazepam you need to be very careful if you do go that route, it can work but its not for those with addictive personalities, it can work to chill you out and let you sleep, to get off the treadmill for a bit but as part of a routine its dangerous and very addictive, you end up needing more and more and it loses its effectiveness, i.e. you just end up with an additional problem.

Oh, and a good tug helps
Old 14 October 2011, 12:35 AM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by SiPie
Be very careful with Valerian extract as it should not be used for more than 2 weeks. Do your research carefully as IIRC it also affects liver function and has addictive properties.
dont worry chap. My friend is one of the most highly respected herbalists in the country, has her own practices, teaches at Lincoln University and is the face of Herbs in a Bottle and Traditional Medicinals. I use Valerian before bed to give me a deeper, more refreshing sleep but i'm by no means Valerian dependant.

Like you say tho, everything in moderation and often anxiety can be attributed to lifestyle, diet and other factors so taking remedies really isnt a proper fix.
Old 14 October 2011, 12:44 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Get a few beers down you and stop being so bloody soft.
Old 14 October 2011, 06:50 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
dont worry chap. My friend is one of the most highly respected herbalists in the country, has her own practices, teaches at Lincoln University and is the face of Herbs in a Bottle and Traditional Medicinals. I use Valerian before bed to give me a deeper, more refreshing sleep but i'm by no means Valerian dependant.
All good Hamster

It's many years since I took it and it certainly helped but the herbalist mentioned that it was best suited to help aid calm in relation to specific events, exam nerves or public presentations etc

Sounds like you've got the best advice possible from your friend
Old 14 October 2011, 11:33 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
+2! Get out running or cycling. Anything to get the heart going for 45 mins/an hour.

Dave
Does that mean for 15 mins my heart does not work????

But seriously....I do not drink that much, nor smoke...I am back at the gym

The problem seems to of come about since I had a car crash in 2004 and then in 2008 my ex and daughter moved back to Argentina..... since then I seem to worry about everything.....it is becoming a pain in the *** tbh

Thanks for the advice.
Old 14 October 2011, 12:00 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Does that mean for 15 mins my heart does not work????
Classic
Old 14 October 2011, 12:01 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

1 hour of exercise per day, at least 3 healthy meals per day, 2L of water a day, 8 hours sleep per night.

No alcohol, no nicotine, no drugs - give it 2 weeks and see if you dont feel the benefits.
Old 14 October 2011, 02:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When I had a similar kind of worry I was told to push it to the back of my mind when I felt it coming on, just ignore it he said. It was hard to do initially but every time you do it you get stronger until it all just goes away.

Les