Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile airconditioners- do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2011, 08:02 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mobile airconditioners- do they work?

This question is not in relation to our recent heat wave btw!

I've often thought about having ac in a couple of the bedrooms, I know we only have a few weeks of hot weather a year but I find it difficult to sleep when it's hot.

Anyway, I have a loft conversion that has just started and if I were going to fit ac on the first floor this might be a good time to do it as I'll have access to all the ceilings whilst the loft is under construction.

Proper ac will cost quite a lot and so was just wondering whether mobile ac units are equally as effective.

The two bedrooms I particularly want cooled have external walls (I suppose all bedrooms do??) so I could get a hole knocked through these walls professionally such as to allow the hot air exit in summer but perhaps allow them to be covered up in winter? So in winter the mobile unit could be disconnected and stored in the garage.

Advice/experiences please?

Thanks
Old 02 October 2011, 08:13 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats your budget? we bought a very nice two part aircon system with a nice looking internal wall unit and an outside unit. IIRC it was around £800.

I'll dig out the suppliers contacts when Im back in work tomorrow
Old 02 October 2011, 08:30 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Whats your budget? we bought a very nice two part aircon system with a nice looking internal wall unit and an outside unit. IIRC it was around £800.

I'll dig out the suppliers contacts when Im back in work tomorrow

That's cheaper than I thought it would be, did that include fitting?

Thanks
Old 02 October 2011, 08:42 AM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

we have got 2 of the mobile one for the bedrooms and yes they do work well,but are a bit noisey so if you have the chance to fit a proper set up at the right price i would go for that.
Old 02 October 2011, 08:51 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
we have got 2 of the mobile one for the bedrooms and yes they do work well,but are a bit noisey so if you have the chance to fit a proper set up at the right price i would go for that.
Yes. I've just seen the diameter of the exit pipe that is fitted and it's massive. That's quite a large hole to knock out of a wall. Also how do you cover this up in winter or do you leave the unit connected all year?

Thanks
Old 02 October 2011, 08:56 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
That's cheaper than I thought it would be, did that include fitting?

Thanks
No. It required about a 1" x 3" hole for the pipes to go thru but we fitted it to a portacabin so it was easy to drill.
Old 02 October 2011, 08:59 AM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

i just run the pipe out of a window mate.yes we do run ours all yr round even in winter as we have our mutt in the bedroom at night and he just won't settle down if its warm (husky),i also like it really cold aswell, we also got one for my daughters bedroom and now she can't sleep unless its on. you get used to them really quick.
Old 02 October 2011, 09:57 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
i just run the pipe out of a window mate.yes we do run ours all yr round even in winter as we have our mutt in the bedroom at night and he just won't settle down if its warm (husky),i also like it really cold aswell, we also got one for my daughters bedroom and now she can't sleep unless its on. you get used to them really quick.
Can I suggest turning your heating down and opening the windows in the winter!

We have a mobile unit which is noisy but effective. It was at my parents house before and my dad had cut a hole in the wall with a mounting plate for the hot air pipe. Since having it in our gaff, we just aim it out of the window which seems to work fine.
Old 02 October 2011, 10:05 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

The mobile unit I had for a while was big and noisy and the exhaust was big which meant having the window open which sort of negates the idea of AC.

The split system that replaced it is a million times better and well worth the additional expenditure, especially if you use it a lot.
Old 02 October 2011, 11:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Motorbikes work well.

Les
Old 02 October 2011, 11:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

We had one of those mobile wheel-around units but it was noisy as hell and elephant trunk outlet hoses were a pain. Also heavy to cart up stairs and take up space for 11 months of the year when not required!! NOT recommended.

I then had a heat exchanger unit fitted into a sunny room I used as an office. OK but fairly pricey and expensive to run.

I don't think they are worth it but if you really want "air" then get some proper advice but be prepared to spend a few quid and don't forget running costs. Shady curtains and a fan seem to do the job.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 02 October 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02 October 2011, 06:09 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Good advice thanks.

Sounds like I should avoid the portable option due to noise etc. The proper stuff will cost more but I'm only doing a couple of rooms so not the end of the world

Thanks again
Old 02 October 2011, 06:28 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Reverse cycle A/C is the way to go . Cold air in the summer and hot air in the winter.
Old 02 October 2011, 09:13 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

We have a Daikin heat pump Clicky cost about £1800 fitted but worth every penny. One thing to think about Ding if you're thinking of going this route is power supply. These things do need a fairly heavy cable feed to them when you get to a certain size. I think when we bought ours the VAT was only 5% due to a government incentive scheme as they're supposed to be quite efficient.
Old 03 October 2011, 04:31 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

I've got a local company coming around tomorrow to give me a quote
Old 03 October 2011, 06:51 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

seriously get a reverse cycle split system, the co efficient of performance will out do any heating system!!!! Cant wait for natural gas to run out, im gonna be rich rich rich. The plumbers are already quakin in their boots about this!! people are already seein the benefits!!!! just get a six monthly maintainance plan on it an you will get at least ten years out of it! team it up with a solar FIT system and it will pay for itself!!! be ahead of the crowd. more dough to blow on your motor will be the end result!
Old 03 October 2011, 07:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The worthwhile element of our climate is that you nearly always only have to wait a week before its all change