Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What do you feed your dog?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2011, 07:50 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you feed your dog?

We have had our rescued greyhound now for 2 weeks and shes settled in so well, but the food thing is doing my head in! I spoke to the kennels where we got her from of which told me that she was having 2 cup fulls of this dried stuff with a handful of raw dog mince in the morning and the same for the evening but with pilchards rather than the mince. Now she doesn't really like the morning feed and never finishes it so I have tried tined dog food with a handful of biscuit mix and she goes mad for it but it turns her **** real bad, she still loves the pilchards in tomato sauce which I find funny cause I thought it was the sort of food cats eat
Am I doing the right thing?
Old 21 September 2011, 07:55 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Loads on this site to choose from. Dr Johns has always been a favourite with our Lurcher

http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=8

and

http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=9

Dry food only for my dogs with water always available
Old 21 September 2011, 07:56 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Fed our Labradors on James Wellbeloved for years.
Old 21 September 2011, 07:59 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I have two beagles and one Is allergic to everything. We put them on raw chicken, beef, fish every meat except pork!

Since being on it their poos are how dogs poos should be... White after a few hours.

Google barf diet. Basically give dogs raw food, tuna in sun flower oil NOT salt,

For treats they get carrots, dried liver and dry Paster. They very rarely get any processed foods with additives in...

Someone is going to say raw chicken is bad for them as the bones split. They are wrong.. Cocked chicken bones split! - leave it on the bone as the bone is good for them. Cleans their teeth & is extremely good for them.

What do dogs eat in the wild. Raw and natural is the best for your dog.

Last edited by RobsyUK; 21 September 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 21 September 2011, 08:17 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

as above barf feeding all the way no smelly farts either lol lol
Old 21 September 2011, 08:43 PM
motofox
Scooby Regular

ive got an 18yr old lurcher and which i use to feed fresh fish and all kinds of **** when i use to show him and course.but all he has now is dry food.i use to breed Bullmastiffs aswell and they only had dry,and i have an american bulldog X mastiff which weighs about 8 stone and built like a brick shed and hes only on dry food..its nice to give them a treat now and again but im always careful cuz dont want them to turn into fussy eaters
Old 21 September 2011, 08:47 PM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

different dogs i know ive got 2 staffs tyson and diesel which is only 10 weeks old but tyson is just over 2 now and built like a tank 5,5 stone we feed him on tripe and he loves it

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2011, 08:50 PM
motofox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ad uk
different dogs i know ive got 2 staffs tyson and diesel which is only 10 weeks old but tyson is just over 2 now and built like a tank 5,5 stone we feed him on tripe and he loves it
bet you buy air freshner by the lorry load then lol
Old 21 September 2011, 08:50 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Tripe,although takes some getting use to,the farts that is
Old 21 September 2011, 09:25 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

We feed our Springer Arden Grange dried biscuits, mixed with the gravy/sauce from whatever we've had for tea.

No complaints here, farts are minimal, and the dog eggs are firm and easy to pick up.

Even curries and Thai food fail to upset her system
Old 21 September 2011, 09:46 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Again, try the Barf diet...

We feed our GSD on mainly Beef,Chicken,Tripe and Heart...We also give a small amount of mixer.

He eats about a pound in weight a day and it costs under £7 a week.

He drops a fine log in the morning,and doesnt fart at all.....lol.....

A dry diet is ok,but its not ideal......... Its full of allsorts that arent specifically geared for the good of the dog.

Like giving your kid E numbers...
Old 21 September 2011, 09:48 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feed my dog the annoying tw*ts that ring me everyday at work about electric and phone lines
Old 22 September 2011, 12:11 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I have 2 retrievers one is feed on Symply Salmon and Potato as the other dried foods make her ill the symply foods are UK produced and GM free etc and seem to be a good mid priced food i mail order 4 sacks at a time and get them delivered from the manufacturer at a good price.

The other is fed on Orijen 6 fish or Orijen Red.

Orijen which is highly recommended as it doesn't have a lot of the cheap fillers other dog foods use and is grain free no frozen protein all fresh etc.

There is a good web site well worth a read but also it is worth swapping around if the food doesnt agree with your dog.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

My vet recommended i stay away from Barf diet as my dogs had lived on processed food for years and he didnt think it would be good idea to feed raw meat as their bodies wouldnt have the digestive system to cope with the occasional raw meat contaminated with salmonella etc other than that i would seriously consider Barf diet if you can afford it, i have heard from friends who feed it that it costs a lot more as you have to have a 2nd freezer to store the meat for the dogs to make it cost effective then when you get access to cheap meat you can stock up. also having friends who shoot can help as they might have stuff they wont eat or cant sell but you can feed to the dogs.
Old 22 September 2011, 06:51 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Orijen is one of the best you can get IMHO if you wanna eed packet food...

I will take issue with the price of the Barf diet though.Like i said in previous post its under £1 a day to feed our GSD.He isnt large but is around 30k at the moment.He is around 18 months of age.

Our last GSD we fed on Royal Canin and Hills Science plan.. That cost £20 a week for comparison.

We buy 7lbs of meat a week that is already in 1lb bags and frozen. Normal freezer,and a bag is left to defrost overnight.

Simple,easy and very cost effective..

Apart from the lack of smelly crap and farts,our GSD's coat is significantly better and has a great gloss compared to when he was on dry food. Im yet to find a downside.

That said,im sure it wont work for everydog but ours loves it.

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 22 September 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 22 September 2011, 07:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Royal Canin. Sometimes mix in a bit of chicken.

Our dog (Terrier/Chihuahua Mutt) is allergic to fish - throws it straight back up - not quite the barf I had in mind
Old 22 September 2011, 08:46 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

We feed our dog the raw offal of local homeless and unemployed people. Only pick the good bits mind you.

When that supply dries up a mix of dry James Wellbeloved biscuits with a big spoonful of cooked rice as the dry food is too concentrated. Feed him twice a day and it the healthiest he has been since we had him (8 years).

And he does not obviously fart - the kids are much worse.
Old 22 September 2011, 10:40 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Skinners Field & Trial Duck and Rice dry biscuit for my Labrador.
Old 22 September 2011, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Our lovely old Labrador was fed on a balanced diet of household leftovers and he lived well beyond the normal lifespan and was always as fit as the proverbial

Les
Old 22 September 2011, 12:38 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I soak dry feed for 60 seconds in boiling water. This removes the fats and the flavourings they put on it. I then drain and allow to cool. I have 3 dogs... so make up a batch each night for the next day.

I feed twice a day, and then mix the above with either tuna, sardines, cod, coley, cooked frozen mince (pork, beef or lamb), cheese (they love it!), chicken, or any left overs from our meals. I also make sure they get a little veg from time to time, not OTT though.

I also give cod liver oil, about once a fortnight.
Old 22 September 2011, 12:39 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Oh and they get James Wellbeloved and Pro Plan mixed together.
Old 22 September 2011, 12:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rambo, out little Terrier/Poodle/Mongrel type thing gets Arden Grange something or other but prefers left overs, which we give him but with consideration to what it is and quantity, Dogs shouldnt have certain things and nothing salty or excessively sugary except in tiny quantities, occasionally but left over veg, meat, gravy etc I think it fine, our last dog lived 15 years. Think its imporant for them to enjoy life and a bit of variety diet wise is part of that.
Old 22 September 2011, 05:02 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Skinners Field & Trial Duck and Rice dry biscuit for my Labrador.
Another vote for Skinners here. Mad active Springer!
Old 22 September 2011, 05:59 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Royal Canin Giant Puppy, soon to be going straight on to Royal Canin Giant Adult, by passing Junior.
Old 22 September 2011, 06:58 PM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

I used James wellbeloved for years but is very expensive an am now using skinners large bite which seems just as good and she loves it they also do loads of different types of dry food for all different breeds worth a look as about £15 cheaper aswell 15kg bag
Old 22 September 2011, 07:05 PM
topdogkelvin
Scooby Regular

Feed My 5 month old Boxer Royal Canin looking at other types at the moment as he is growing ok length and hight wise but not putting much fat on though
Old 22 September 2011, 07:09 PM
s33aru
Scooby Regular

Beta Greyhound you can get this from my pet and reptile shop
Old 22 September 2011, 07:16 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if your loaded Royal Canin for your breed of dog

if your not loaded then james wellbeloved and in all honesty thats enough, BUT i do feed mine the odd meat puch as a treat along with scraps from the table, just need to be careful not too much scraps as they then tend to not eat from the bowl but leave it there for a day or 2 and ignore him and they will go back to it.

meat will always make your dogs ****e runny and it will fart like hell, if you stick to dry its turds will be like cuban cigars and easy to pick up and manage.

but Royal Canin is the daddy
Old 22 September 2011, 07:19 PM
hoyty
Scooby Regular

Burns for my springer 3 handfuls if dry and half a pouch of wet . Twice a day perfect coat health and poo .
I will say that when you do change dog food their poo can be runny fir a few days until they get used to it stay away from Bakers it full of e numbers and sends dogs hyper trust me I know from experience and others have said the same
Old 22 September 2011, 08:15 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
meat will always make your dogs ****e runny and it will fart like hell, if you stick to dry its turds will be like cuban cigars and easy to pick up and manage.
Absolute rubbish.

Unless you mean canned dog food...?? Thats just the poorest of the poor.

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 22 September 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 22 September 2011, 09:45 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

I have a beagle and we give name Naked Dog Food co. The breaders we got him from do alot of work within the dog food industry against the amount of crap they put in it. The Naked Dog Food stuff has no crap in it. My monther in law feed their dog pedagree (I think) and their dog is mental, like a child on E numbers.

The dog breaders where telling us how vets are complaining in America that they are having to use more and more stuff to put dogs to sleep as (believe it or not) the dog food is made from dogs which have been put down therefore are building up a tolerance. I do not know how true this is I must say I find it hard to believe.

Anyways I would not give me dog anything other than the naked food stuff we use

Quick Reply: What do you feed your dog?