Tumble dryer AEG Zanussi or miele

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2011, 10:38 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tumble dryer AEG Zanussi or miele

Right the times come to buy a tumble dryer got a washer dryer but it's pap

So I was in the mind of getting a 300 quid hotpoint but then I started googling and worked out the power they use some use 5.4 kwh a cycle which is quite a bit , i then found aeg and siemens do one that only uses 1.2 a cycle but as always these are 650 quid I'm now in the realms of miele

So any experts here, I know miele are like the rolls Royce of White goods, aeg is Zanussi

Would you go for the 650 a+ rated aeg or take a b rated miele anybody know quality reliability etc the a rated miele is 1200 so no way

Cheers

Last edited by Littleted; 17 September 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 17 September 2011, 11:12 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miele.
Old 17 September 2011, 11:17 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I need more lol why are they that much better ?
Old 17 September 2011, 11:20 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

For quality and reliability go for Miele
Old 18 September 2011, 12:11 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

There you go

It'll cost more upfront but will last a lot longer, operate better and have a service plan that will show the others up for what they are.

We bought an Amana Fridge Freezer (not inexpensive at all) 5 years parts and labour warranty for anything going wrong - after that - pay £60 a year for extended warranty
If it goes "pop" and they can't fix it - they replace it and warranty starts again.
Old 18 September 2011, 12:12 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now this is a new one on me,we have probably had everything so far on this site,except tumble dryers.
Old 18 September 2011, 12:42 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see

you pay more, you get better quality

THEN buy a yearly warranty
something not right there mate
some people have more money than sense

Last edited by LeeMac; 18 September 2011 at 12:47 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 18 September 2011, 08:56 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by WRXBOB
For quality and reliability go for Miele
All the applicances in our kitchen are Miele and based on the last 5 years experience what so you say there isn't right. It was all very expensive and quite pretty too, but the gas hob has been repaired twice now and the dishwasher baskets are starting to rust. On the otherhand, the washer and dryer stack in the utility room are 7 years old AEG units and haven't missed a days service in 10 years.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its a dryer! Most use 3000 watts so ALL guzzle power. Thats how they work - heater element plus a fan (on the end of the drum motor), thats all that it is to it: The ones that use less peak energy take longer to dry. But beacuse its running longer it will use the same amount of KW/h. Unless its one of those condensing types which I have no experience of.

Or if they 'say' they use less. Look carefully at the figures...it maybe tested with drying 3kg of washing instead of 7kg. Obviously 7kg will take longer to dry. I would say AEG and Siemens are fudging their figures to make it look good. Unless it uses cold fusion or something
The only difference bewteen a cheap one will be its quality and features. A high-end maybe auto-sensing and will turn off when it thinks the laundry is dry, whereas as £100 Creda will just have a mechanical timer....there is always a temptation to run the latter for much longer than needed (its a 120minute timer, but it only needs to run for 30mins on average).

I've had both:

A £100 Creda. Which did exactly what it said on the tin. Obviously you set the timer to how long it needs and away you go. Durability of components like the door catch and filters is a bit iffy (so don't slam the door), but a new one was sourced for £20. My gran has it now and its in almost daily use (She's a wash-a-holic).

My current dryer is a Miele. I bought it second hand as I needed a matching dryer to stack on our existing Miele washing machine in our new laundry/kitchen (the Creda looked out of place and wouldn't stack ontop of the Miele properly). Its fully automatic which will save energy from not over-drying laundry by some feejit who sets the timer to 120mins for drying a pair of socks.

BUT, on small loads it can't detect it and stops prematurely. And manual mode is either 30mins hot which is too much or 15mins cool which is not enough. It could do with a 15mins hot mode.

It also has an automatic filter/blockage detection. This doesn't work. Every odd cycle it turns off saying the filter/outlet is blocked; it isn't. I've had the damn thing apart and can't find any blockage or build up of fluff anywhere, so either its a sensor/PCB fault or the 2metre exhaust duct is too long (which is a bit poo if thats the case - the Creda didn't mind).

So IMO; the Meile is good, but just a bit too clever for its own good. Worth the extra money? Nah. For a Washing machine, yes, but for a dryer, No.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 September 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:25 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

BTW:

Creda = Hotpoint = Indesit

AEG = Zanussi = Electrolux = Tricity Bendix

Bosch = Siemens = Neff

Hoover / Otsein = Candy

Something to know as they often parts share between them and have the same parts/repair networks.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 September 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:31 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Siemens and Bosch also do A Rated dryers, using from memory1.2 KW to do a complete load. I've got both of them in stock. We retail them at around £650. Although there are always deals to be done.
Miele would certainly be better made (we stock these too) but the price difference is IMO not worth the outlay.
Siemens comes complete with 5 year warranty.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:44 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Bought a Zannussi from John Lewis (price matched)and got 3 years warranty on it. Condenser type so no pipes etc and its fitted in the old airing cupboard. Mrs Chip thinks its wonderful.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231192578/Product.aspx

Has an A energy rating as well. 1.85 KW per cycle.

Chip

Last edited by Chip; 18 September 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:47 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Amazing how many blokes post about tumble driers. We'll be discussing steam irons next
Old 18 September 2011, 10:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

If the socks are wet from walking the dog and 'she's' gone shopping - what else do you use?

(apart from the microwave )
Old 18 September 2011, 11:03 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Siemens and Bosch also do A Rated dryers, using from memory1.2 KW to do a complete load. I've got both of them in stock. We retail them at around £650. Although there are always deals to be done.
Miele would certainly be better made (we stock these too) but the price difference is IMO not worth the outlay.
Siemens comes complete with 5 year warranty.
+1

when we were looking for tumble dryer and washing machine, the guy said that Miele washing machines are just the best, but not worth the extra for the Tumble Dryers and to go for a Siemens. We did and not regretted the choice.
Old 18 September 2011, 12:20 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

+1 for siemens. Bought a condenser type from john lewis 6 years ago.
As i remember cost about 500 quid. Never missed a beat
Old 19 September 2011, 10:24 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
+1

when we were looking for tumble dryer and washing machine, the guy said that Miele washing machines are just the best, but not worth the extra for the Tumble Dryers and to go for a Siemens. We did and not regretted the choice.
Blimey a Mod agreeing with me
Old 19 September 2011, 11:13 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Probably something I wouldn't spend a huge some of cash on mainly because we either dry our washing outside or if it's raining indoors in front of a radiator. Even now with the sprog who generates a huge amount of washing it still rarely gets used.

The dryer we currently have was from the missus old house and was left there by the pensioners who were moving out into an old folks home It's not the prettiest of things but then it's out in our utility room so who cares. If / when that goes bang will probably get a Bosch or similar to replace it but would expect it to last 20 years+.
Old 19 September 2011, 12:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Miele, after several Hotpoints and Indesits we decided to bit the bullet and spend £800 on a Miele, basically as the disruption to a family of 5 when a washer is out of action and you are waiting for a repair to be done is not worth the agro, £800 and a ten year guarantee so its ten years at £80 a year to do the washing and have them come out to fix it, reasoning being that anything after ten years is a bonus and they wouldnt warranty them for ten years if they only last three, so strangely its probably actually cheaper in the long run. I have to say it sounds well engineered and of high quality, the old one had a bit of a Starship Enterpise "She Cannae Take it" feel when at full tilt.

I think the buy cheap, buy twice rule applies here, should have bought a Miele Dishwasher to replace the Neff one that lasted 13 years but got a Bosch and its not been that great, they have been out to it to fit a new drain motor at 18 months, luckily a two year warranty but I cant see it lasting as long as the old one, the Neff, same group apparently but that never missed a beat, was still working just all the fixings were knackered.
Old 19 September 2011, 12:35 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Spooky, just this minute brought a Boosh washing machine :- Bosch WAE24367GB

Wasnt sure what make to go for, but went for this type / make due to reviews etc. I do tend to find this field a bit of a nightmare, so many different makes, models, sizes, etc etc.

SBK