Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBC bowdlerise The Stranglers

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2011, 10:22 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBC bowdlerise The Stranglers

Driving along minding my own business, earlier this evening I heard Simon Mayo playing "Peaches". The lyrics seem to have changed from anything I remember from the last 34 years. It seems that they are now

"Is she trying to get out of that.......bikini?
On, No! There goes the charabanc!"
Old 13 September 2011, 10:31 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
Driving along minding my own business, earlier this evening I heard Simon Mayo playing "Peaches". The lyrics seem to have changed from anything I remember from the last 34 years. It seems that they are now

"Is she trying to get out of that.......bikini?
On, No! There goes the charabanc!"
The "Peaches" radioplay edit has been around since the song was originally a hit in '77. In fact promo copies were distributed to DJs and radio stations with the code "FREE 4". These copies were often bagged with the rejected "Blackmail lettering" picture sleeve, withdrawn because it was felt that the artwork pandered to the burgeoning Punk movement which the Stranglers felt they weren't part of. The single and its sleeve are now worth upwards of £500 because of their extreme rarity.

I have one.
Old 13 September 2011, 10:52 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Every time I hear that song, I see Ray Winston roasting in the Spanish sun.
Old 13 September 2011, 11:20 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bob

I don't remember radio stations being as coy about this until very recently. I thought I remembered the original "Oh ----" version being the one that was normally played.

When I heard the "radio edit" version this evening I did wonder if it was a recent-rerecording of the vocals over the original instruments. But it really didn't sound like that as it sounded contemporary and sounded like Hugh Cornwell was actually having a bit of fun with the phrasing and delivery of the lyrics.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 13 September 2011, 11:30 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
Thanks Bob

I don't remember radio stations being as coy about this until very recently. I thought I remembered the original "Oh ----" version being the one that was normally played.

When I heard the "radio edit" version this evening I did wonder if it was a recent-rerecording of the vocals over the original instruments. But it really didn't sound like that as it sounded contemporary and sounded like Hugh Cornwell was actually having a bit of fun with the phrasing and delivery of the lyrics.

Thanks for clearing that up.

That's all right, Doug. Reading it back, it looks like Wikipedia or something, but it was all my own work.