Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: What would you do about the troublemaker?
Leave it, move on, and keep working together.
0%
Retaliate and kick up some dirt of your own.
27.27%
Confront, discuss, let it go.
48.48%
Nothing.
6.06%
Other
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Retaliate, pity, or just let it go?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2011, 01:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retaliate, pity, or just let it go?

Just found out that a guy at work has been printing off Facebook pages, pages from my blog and other online materials that I have openly published, trying to get the management at work to fire me for misconduct, or take action against me.

This is all during the period where I have been signed off with stress, and caring for my mother when I could, who was end of life.

I left the country for the weekend when there was physically NOTHING I could do, and following a very stressful week of finding a carehome placement. This has been highlighted as misconduct, and he has made every effort to try and get them to pursue this, which has lead to a disciplinary hearing for me on Thursday.

I have a sick certificate to cover me for this period either way.

But when its all said and done, I am left working similar hours in the same office of 6 people, almost facing him.

So what would you do?
Old 06 September 2011, 01:07 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Option #6 Go round to his desk, ask him to stand up and then kick him in the babymakers
Old 06 September 2011, 01:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Other.

Have a chat with your boss, pointing out how petty this bloke is. Your boss will know the situation, and will see this other bloke in a different light.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrange a meeting with the Boss, You and Him ...... have it out, you may as well ....... he sounds like a coward and it will be most awkward for him - yet it shows you in a positive light.

Do it BEFORE Thursday!
Old 06 September 2011, 01:16 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
Just found out that a guy at work has been printing off Facebook pages, pages from my blog and other online materials that I have openly published, trying to get the management at work to fire me for misconduct, or take action against me.
It might help if you explained on what grounds any of the things mentioned could possibly get you into trouble with work. Were you publishing this stuff during work hours, or critical of the company in some way?
Old 06 September 2011, 01:19 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd speak with my boss first and clear the air. Find out what potential problems are going to come from this. Secondly, I'd make it known to the little snake that you're aware of his tale telling.

Unfortunately after this if you want to progress in the same business as the snake, you'll need to be able to work with him even if you cant stand the sight of him. Hopefully he will get disheartened and show himself in a bad light further down the road.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:24 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

other......
Old 06 September 2011, 01:26 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

find out where he lives then order, pizza's currys' taxi chinese, strippers round there,

guy sounds like the typical poo stirer, and they usually are chicken ****s!
Old 06 September 2011, 01:26 PM
NINJA ED
Scooby Regular

DONT do what i did m8 im now sitting at home waiting to find out outcome of my
actions against another employee,if you can try and explain to your boss
Old 06 September 2011, 01:35 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Arrange a meeting with the Boss, You and Him ...... have it out, you may as well ....... he sounds like a coward and it will be most awkward for him - yet it shows you in a positive light.

Do it BEFORE Thursday!
As Pete has said I would make a show of this coward in front of the Boss but in a structured meeting away from others, ask this coward the following:

Why have you attempted to undermine me, and instigated disciplinary proceedings?

As he sits/stands there with his mouth ajar (as he will not expect you to 'call him out').

After that matter has been resolved and you get the disciplinary meeting out of the way, I would then have a word with your co-workers on the QT and let them know what kind of a snake they are working with.

I would imagine they (your co-workers) are aware of what has gone on with your family in recent times and once they know what this weazel has attempted to do then they will keep him at arms length. He won't be party to any private conversations and the atmosphere towards him will be frosty at best which will achieve one of two things:

1. He will leave, as the saying goes nobody likes a tell tale tit.

2. He will stay and will have learned an important lesson; don't **** on people as your crawl your way up the ladder as they will kick you off it given the chance.

Anyway, I hope all goes well for you.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what did you do ?
Old 06 September 2011, 01:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Option #6 Go round to his desk, ask him to stand up and then kick him in the babymakers
Has crossed my mind, but I think im above that one.

Originally Posted by stilover
Other.

Have a chat with your boss, pointing out how petty this bloke is. Your boss will know the situation, and will see this other bloke in a different light.
This is more my line of thinking to be honest. I want the matters raised for the disciplinary dealt with, then will raise the issue of the underhandedness of a supposed work mate, and request it is dealt with.
I am expecting the hearing to have an NFA outcome, so if thats the case, then the 'evidence' produced by said person becomes worthless, and nothing but vindictive, and should be addressed.

Originally Posted by pslewis

Do it BEFORE Thursday!
Its possible to do so, but if I take that route then I will be asking them to discuss matters tied up in the hearing, prior to the hearing, which I am sure will not be the preferred approach for them. I think the best course of action is to leave it til the i's are dotted and t's crossed, THEN raise the spin off issue.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:41 PM
supa
Scooby Regular

If the matieral does not concern your work or put you in any sticky situation , nor has it broken any rules and your work contract.

Then you should raise a greivieance against this person.

This would be putting him through the same that your going through as it would be a full investigation. It wont be good in terms of mending relations but it will help your records for the future.

make sure that you have evidence to back up what your saying.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
It might help if you explained on what grounds any of the things mentioned could possibly get you into trouble with work. Were you publishing this stuff during work hours, or critical of the company in some way?
The basis of the disciplinary is that I made myself unavailable for work when they feel I should have been, because of a lapse in sick certs. Added to by suggestions from said guy that I had gone on holiday. And producing exerts from my blog, and screen prints off Facebook which have been interpretted as me being away on a jolly up.

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Personally I'd speak with my boss first and clear the air. Find out what potential problems are going to come from this. Secondly, I'd make it known to the little snake that you're aware of his tale telling.

Unfortunately after this if you want to progress in the same business as the snake, you'll need to be able to work with him even if you cant stand the sight of him. Hopefully he will get disheartened and show himself in a bad light further down the road.
Working with him is not an issue for me at all, I am happy to rise above it all. However I will not be letting the matter drop, and will be following it up with my managers, and in a face to face meeting if so deemed necessary.

Originally Posted by NINJA ED
DONT do what i did m8 im now sitting at home waiting to find out outcome of my
actions against another employee,if you can try and explain to your boss
Oops, sounds worrying mate. I can understand the frustration though.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:44 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

As stilover and Cannon Fodder. Get the matter cleared between you and your boss, it is a personal matter and should be handled confidentially. You may not need to do anymore if your other colleagues are aware what this blokes done? Pretty low IMO.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
As Pete has said I would make a show of this coward in front of the Boss but in a structured meeting away from others, ask this coward the following:

Why have you attempted to undermine me, and instigated disciplinary proceedings?

As he sits/stands there with his mouth ajar (as he will not expect you to 'call him out').

After that matter has been resolved and you get the disciplinary meeting out of the way, I would then have a word with your co-workers on the QT and let them know what kind of a snake they are working with.

I would imagine they (your co-workers) are aware of what has gone on with your family in recent times and once they know what this weazel has attempted to do then they will keep him at arms length. He won't be party to any private conversations and the atmosphere towards him will be frosty at best which will achieve one of two things:

1. He will leave, as the saying goes nobody likes a tell tale tit.

2. He will stay and will have learned an important lesson; don't **** on people as your crawl your way up the ladder as they will kick you off it given the chance.

Anyway, I hope all goes well for you.
Cheers mate. Yup the whole office is more than aware of what he has been doing, and are talking openly about what else he has been saying and doing in my absence. I have been back at work 3 weeks now, and they have called the hearing for THIS week, the week that the weasel is off on holiday.
He has shown his true colours now, there is no back pedalling on that one.

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
what did you do ?
As above mate, I was off long term with anxiety and stress while looking after my mother.

Originally Posted by supa
If the matieral does not concern your work or put you in any sticky situation , nor has it broken any rules and your work contract.

Then you should raise a greivieance against this person.

This would be putting him through the same that your going through as it would be a full investigation. It wont be good in terms of mending relations but it will help your records for the future.

make sure that you have evidence to back up what your saying.
I have all the evidence I need mate, and raising a case against him is a piece of cake. I think at a minimum I will throw the evidence he has produced to damn me back at the managers, and insist they go back to source and deal with the malicious way this all came about, and address the intentions of the person who supplied it, stating that I know who the source is.

There are also other glaring errors in the whole arrangement of the hearing which I wont go into yet, but it makes a mockery of the whole procedure, and leaves me just a slightly off shade of white, rather than dragged through the mud and **** that was intended.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:54 PM
dan.evans
Scooby Regular

Ignore it mate, at my place there is loads of snakes and grasses trying to get one over on other people. Thinking it will help them get promotion etc.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [-(o)-]
As stilover and Cannon Fodder. Get the matter cleared between you and your boss, it is a personal matter and should be handled confidentially. You may not need to do anymore if your other colleagues are aware what this blokes done? Pretty low IMO.
The basic plan is to get the hearing done and dusted, and see if the evidence is evven called upon. Me asking for them to show their hand should provoke this. If it is used, then I will request that we have a further discussion about this on a later date (the next day)
If it is not called on, then I will wait until the matter is concluded and then request an immediate discussion regarding the behaviour of my colleague.

Really it rests on how the information he has produced is used. Then I know what relevence it has on the matter, and can deal with it from there. I have good representation on the day, and said person has first hand experience of the underhanded behaviour of said colleague.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan.evans
Ignore it mate, at my place there is loads of snakes and grasses trying to get one over on other people. Thinking it will help them get promotion etc.
The only thing he will get is a demotion, in the ratings and trust levels of our very small work group. Exclusion from discussions about delicate matters, and a big lack of respect from his team.
Old 06 September 2011, 02:00 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Default You are working with a prize bell end!

If I were your boss, I'd turn a blind eye and then make it very difficult for the little **** to continue working there. Noone wants prat like that in their team.

You don't work in the Cabin do you? Is his name Norris? Is your boss's name Rita?

What? Watching Corrie isn't crime
Old 06 September 2011, 02:04 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i don't matter where you work you will allways find a BNB member (brown nose brigade) managers meetings where i work are known as GROUP BUTT SUCKS
Old 06 September 2011, 02:05 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You mention a lapse in Certified Absence from work? Just need to clarify this, as it IS a disciplinary offence to not have certified leave.

Do you have, or have you supplied work with your Doctor's certs covering the ENTIRE period of sickness? If not, was this agreed with work, or did you have unpaid leave for the times not covered?

Sorry to drag this back to reality and away from tales of what sharp and hot thing you're going to poke up the colon of the sneaky little toe-rag, but if you're going to come out of the disciplinary cleanly, you MUST have this covered.

This initial meeting is to list the details of the misconduct against you and and the evidence available. It's not for you to defend yourself (unless you've already had this meeting and I've missed it in the description)

Just for the record - I was off sick with stress for 3 months in my old job and I was TOLD by my Doctor go on holiday and have a jolly! I can't actually think of a better way to recover from stress.
Old 06 September 2011, 02:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would turn the tables on him, obviously he's been wasting time surfing the web and checking out facebook regularly during company time and mis-used company property for printing out facebook pages. Check with your IT dept to bring up a log of how much company time he spent doing this. Obvously his behaviour could be classed as harrassment, so throw that at him too, you were off sick and this person showed no compassion.
Old 06 September 2011, 02:22 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoober-Dubs
If I were your boss, I'd turn a blind eye and then make it very difficult for the little **** to continue working there. Noone wants prat like that in their team.

You don't work in the Cabin do you? Is his name Norris? Is your boss's name Rita?

What? Watching Corrie isn't crime

lol it does sound like something from the queen vic
I would be surprised if he commands much respect from management after this either way.

Originally Posted by madscoob
i don't matter where you work you will allways find a BNB member (brown nose brigade) managers meetings where i work are known as GROUP BUTT SUCKS
How true.

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
You mention a lapse in Certified Absence from work? Just need to clarify this, as it IS a disciplinary offence to not have certified leave.

Do you have, or have you supplied work with your Doctor's certs covering the ENTIRE period of sickness? If not, was this agreed with work, or did you have unpaid leave for the times not covered?
Sorry to drag this back to reality and away from tales of what sharp and hot thing you're going to poke up the colon of the sneaky little toe-rag, but if you're going to come out of the disciplinary cleanly, you MUST have this covered.

This initial meeting is to list the details of the misconduct against you and and the evidence available. It's not for you to defend yourself (unless you've already had this meeting and I've missed it in the description)

Just for the record - I was off sick with stress for 3 months in my old job and I was TOLD by my Doctor go on holiday and have a jolly! I can't actually think of a better way to recover from stress.
Kieran, yes mate, initially there was no certification, but on request from work, after a few weeks I managed to get this covered of. The total blanket certificate issued covers from June til August. In a meeting after the expiration of the certificates it was discussed in brief and no emphasis put on the production of it. However a few days later I was given 3 hours to produce one by the end of the working day, which is pushing it at any pace. Turns out this was when the 'evidence' was thrust upon them, and pressure applied to management to act on me. They have acknowledged receipt of a copy of the certificate, and accepted it as valid.

The idea of the trip, short as it was, was to relax for a couple of days, and find myself. All I found instead was a total breakdown, and a phonecall to the doctor and being advised to double my medication immediatly.

Not sure of the format that the meeting will follow, so thanks for the heads up. Either way, just coming away with a job and some respect will be fine by me. I dont think that should be too much of a problem.
Old 06 September 2011, 02:24 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

When the time is right, confront, discuss then let go, otherwise you will never really be able to let go. To retaliate is a normal human instinct, but this in itself will cause anxiety.

Talk it through get your feelings and reasons across, let them have their say, normally this will come up with some positives but what ever the result of this move on.
Old 06 September 2011, 02:25 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I would turn the tables on him, obviously he's been wasting time surfing the web and checking out facebook regularly during company time and mis-used company property for printing out facebook pages. Check with your IT dept to bring up a log of how much company time he spent doing this. Obvously his behaviour could be classed as harrassment, so throw that at him too, you were off sick and this person showed no compassion.
I will indeed ask when this evidence was produced, im sure his PC and the printer will tell all. lol
As for compassion, there has never really been any, just some false questions here and there. I dont care for falseness anyway, if he doesnt offer compassion thats fine by me. But to disrespect me in such a way......
Old 06 September 2011, 02:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickWrx
When the time is right, confront, discuss then let go, otherwise you will never really be able to let go. To retaliate is a normal human instinct, but this in itself will cause anxiety.

Talk it through get your feelings and reasons across, let them have their say, normally this will come up with some positives but what ever the result of this move on.
Have you or anyone else reading this thread watched The Inbetweeners? If you are familiar with Jay who constantly talks rubbish, even when confronted with the truth..... This is him!
He is unlikely to ever admit any wrong doing, will blame the cleaner, deny slagging me off to colleagues, and dismiss any responsibility.
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for your boss - what a load of old bollockś.
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
+1

Very good point!!

Get yourself in the clear 1st though
Old 06 September 2011, 02:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Best of luck with this, snazy, mate. I can't offer any better advice than has already been offered, but I sincerely hope it goes well for you, and that your situation with your mum gets sorted too.

best, Alcazar.

Quick Reply: Retaliate, pity, or just let it go?