Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Not Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2011, 12:03 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Impressed

Went away for the weekend to a wedding and left my 2 year old son with my mother in-law and her partner, decent folk (well the mother in-law is anyway).

We arrive to collect him and it seems his vocabulary has expanded, and not for the better!! He was walking around the play room saying "Oh ****" repeatedly...

Didn't make a deal of it but we then get home to find that he's also saying "Bugger hell!" whenever anything doesn't go his way. Now I'm annoyed!!

We DO NOT use any sort of bad language in front of him, or within ear shot, so we know it's not from us.

Don't wanna make a scene as the Mother-in-law has been very good to us but her partner... well, lets just say that he gets me frothing at the mouth sometimes. If I raise it, you will see the mushroom cloud for miles, the Mrs is already uncomfortable with us being in the room same room together for too long.

How do we approach this one then??
Old 06 September 2011, 12:08 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Make as little fuss about it as possible to the child, and don't repeat the words or correct him. He'll soon forget at that age. Quiet word with the M-I-L to make sure it wasn't done deliberately - hopefully not.

That's what i did anyway, and it worked.
Old 06 September 2011, 12:13 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Annoying, but that's life. Whether you use the language at home or not, wait til he gets to school...
Old 06 September 2011, 12:27 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's been the approach so far... we've been ignoring it. I doubt very much it was deliberate. The thing is, my son's like a sponge, you only have to say or show him something once and that's it. He's like a little genuis, memorising books and stuff.

I don't if you've ever watched The Middle? we've nicknamed him Brick after their little lad.

I think it's more a case that it's been said forgetting that he's around.

The M-I-L has him on Wednesday's and Thursday's when the miserable one isn't around and not normally on the weekend and it's not been a problem before so I kind of have an idea where it's come from.
Old 06 September 2011, 12:33 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Many kids are sponges (or bricks) at that age. He hasn't got a clue what he's saying or its context, but if he doesn't keep hearing it, it will drop out of his vocabulary (till about 11 or 12, anyway)...