Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dale Farm

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2011, 01:03 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dale Farm

I was just listening to Jeremy Vine and he was interviewing Vanessa Redgrave regarding the Dale Farm traveller site and that are due to be evicted.
The local council have been fighting this case for 10 years, as the travellers did not have permission to build on the site, although they do own the land.

I was absolutely shocked at Vanessa's responses to some of the questions asked by callers.
I have had dealings with travellers in the past so I feel I have the right to have a well formed opinion and I detest them. I have been threatened as was my father some years ago.

If you or I built something without planning permission, we would be forced to pull it down and quite rightly so.

And more the point, why do 'travellers' need a permanent site?

Or am I missing something here?
Old 01 September 2011, 01:06 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

they need somewhere to store all of the tarmac they always "just happen to have left over", I have wondered about this too, if they don't travel then they are not traveller's anymore.

windyboy
Old 01 September 2011, 01:13 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I'd like to ask some of these defenders about taxes. The traveller kids go to local schools etc. They had to close Crays hills school in the end. I wonder what taxes they pay for their education?
Also, they own the land, but do they pay for their electricity etc? Or do they steal it?

Where do their incomes come from, and do they pay income tax?
Are all the cars on site properly registered, taxed and insured?

Would be a good time to check out some of those details
Old 01 September 2011, 01:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I believe many of them have houses/property back in Ireland. I suggest that they are sent back there although of course that would break all the EC rules

I feel very sorry indeed for the decent folk who have to live anywhere near them.

dl
Old 01 September 2011, 01:20 PM
forister
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down i hate

i hate the bas---ds gipo tw--s
Old 01 September 2011, 01:22 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantom
I'd like to ask some of these defenders about taxes. The traveller kids go to local schools etc. They had to close Crays hills school in the end. I wonder what taxes they pay for their education?
Also, they own the land, but do they pay for their electricity etc? Or do they steal it?

Where do their incomes come from, and do they pay income tax?
Are all the cars on site properly registered, taxed and insured?

Would be a good time to check out some of those details
Some get Council paid for school transport !
Old 01 September 2011, 02:03 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

i bet Vanessa Redgrave dos,nt live close to them
Old 01 September 2011, 02:12 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by MrJim
i bet Vanessa Redgrave dos,nt live close to them
Good old Vanessa.I am sure she has a big house somewhere with plenty of land.She will end up letting them stay on in her house & on her land because they will be such perfect tenants.
Old 01 September 2011, 02:18 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard that on radio 2 as well. That Vanessa Redgrave is not plugged in!

I think it would interesting to do as Fantom says and delve a little deeper. No one should get any services if they are eligible to pay and don't. Ultimately they can live as they like, just as long as they don't milk the taxpayers for schooling and health care etc.
Old 01 September 2011, 02:36 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

This is the same Vanessa Redgrave who was against Israel building on land where they didn't have permission.

She also helped two terror suspects walk free when she paid £40,000 towards their bail fee. Source.
Old 01 September 2011, 02:50 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

The reason they have sites is because people don't like it when they just pull up on the local playing field and then proceed to cover it in crap - that bit I understand, some sort of hard standing so different groups can come and go, maybe even given as an address for tax/utilities etc.

However permanent buildings? no chance. They are saying they'll move to a site 50 yards down the road though so this will do very little.

FYI this has also been a big money making scam for the 'travellers'. They buy a greenbelt site for chips, move on it, put in drains etc and then apply for retrospective planning permission thus getting a change of use and making the land a lot more valuable.

5t.
Old 01 September 2011, 04:03 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

it's a bit like all the support for the one that's on Big Brother, all very well watching him on tv but if they lived next to you you'd soon change your tune. They are a pain in the ****
Old 01 September 2011, 04:21 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
I heard that on radio 2 as well. That Vanessa Redgrave is not plugged in!

I think it would interesting to do as Fantom says and delve a little deeper. No one should get any services if they are eligible to pay and don't. Ultimately they can live as they like, just as long as they don't milk the taxpayers for schooling and health care etc.
Agreed.

They kept appearing on a piece of public land near to where I used to live. Kids used it as a cut through to school (which they were totally entitled to do as the land was for public use) and I used to use it as part of my running route. Turned in there late one night and didn't realise until I was a good 20 yards in that pikeys had set up camp. Two young men approached me in a threatening manner, making comments and laughing which at 9pm on a winters evening, can be a little unnerving to say the least. As I continued to run through (as fast as I could), a beer bottle landed a couple of feet in front of me.

Reported it to the Police as soon as I got in but they couldn't do anything and the pikeys eventually left after a few weeks, leaving all their crap including burnt out cars behind them.

The local gym had issues too. If they didn't let them use the facilities, the gym would have been smashed to bits the next morning.

They are scum, plain and simple.
Old 01 September 2011, 04:22 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
it's a bit like all the support for the one that's on Big Brother, all very well watching him on tv but if they lived next to you you'd soon change your tune. They are a pain in the ****
I stamped my feet this year and have banned that ****e along with xfactor from being played on my TV!

After 10 years of the Mrs watching both shows, I threatened divorce if she watched them again!
Old 01 September 2011, 05:12 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Agreed.

They kept appearing on a piece of public land near to where I used to live. Kids used it as a cut through to school (which they were totally entitled to do as the land was for public use) and I used to use it as part of my running route. Turned in there late one night and didn't realise until I was a good 20 yards in that pikeys had set up camp. Two young men approached me in a threatening manner, making comments and laughing which at 9pm on a winters evening, can be a little unnerving to say the least. As I continued to run through (as fast as I could), a beer bottle landed a couple of feet in front of me.

Reported it to the Police as soon as I got in but they couldn't do anything and the pikeys eventually left after a few weeks, leaving all their crap including burnt out cars behind them.

The local gym had issues too. If they didn't let them use the facilities, the gym would have been smashed to bits the next morning.

They are scum, plain and simple.
Yeah, they want to have their cake and eat it. They play the innocent 'culture' card that appeals to lefties when they want something from everyone, but then they don't have any respect for the fairness of the system when they steal or leave their sh*te on other peoples'/public property.

There's a lot of them around Glasgow and the surrounding areas. One industrial estate near Bellshill has a road they use as a tipping ground, and there used to be a site near Airdie that resembled a tipping ground when they left it.

Having said that, I know and have worked for people you would call 'gypsies' (fair ground folk) and they are very trustworthy, decent people. But I agree they should not get the use of taxpayers money if they don't pay it.

The bad ones do prey on easy targets (i.e. people on their own) when they get the chance. When a mate of mine was doing grass cutting and strimming etc years ago when he first left the school, he was working in an industrial estate in Glasgow. Left his strimmer for 5 mins and they'd taken it. His boss made him go on his own to get it back from a big group of them. To be fair they did give it back after scaring the sh*te out of him for a laugh. They are just a pain in the **** in general.
Old 01 September 2011, 05:12 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

About 10 or so years ago some travelers got on some of my familys land and had sort of dug a bit of a trench round themselves, presumably defensive, we went down there pretty heavy handed and there was a confrontation as that flared up one of our guys used a JCB to trench them in properly before my uncle and his two pals drove round the corner in their tractors towing muck spreaders of manure/slurry which was then unleashed all over the trenched in gypsy scum

The memory still puts the biggest smile on my face, just never gets old
Old 01 September 2011, 05:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the main failing has been the council and authorities letting it get this far, the minute they started building on the land the notice should have been served, not ten years after.

They want a certain amoutn of participation to get benefits and health care but dont want to pay tax or abide by the rules, the reason they could afford to buy that land was that it was green belt/arable, i.e. no planning permission and no possiblility of getting it, building plots cost a fortune for a reason and the council cant just back down and it sets a precident and apparent free reign for anyone to build whatever they want on any land they happen to own. My in laws have a few acres, if they could build a number of houses they would make a packet, but they cant and they dont want to build a load of chinzy garages, hardstanding, piles of ****e and other gyppo nonsense.

Vannessa Redgrave needs to **** off, she doesnt live next door to the dump and put up with the initimidation, mess and noise.
Old 01 September 2011, 06:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I think the main failing has been the council and authorities letting it get this far, the minute they started building on the land the notice should have been served, not ten years after.

They want a certain amoutn of participation to get benefits and health care but dont want to pay tax or abide by the rules, the reason they could afford to buy that land was that it was green belt/arable, i.e. no planning permission and no possiblility of getting it, building plots cost a fortune for a reason and the council cant just back down and it sets a precident and apparent free reign for anyone to build whatever they want on any land they happen to own. My in laws have a few acres, if they could build a number of houses they would make a packet, but they cant and they dont want to build a load of chinzy garages, hardstanding, piles of ****e and other gyppo nonsense.

Vannessa Redgrave needs to **** off, she doesnt live next door to the dump and put up with the initimidation, mess and noise.
+1
Old 01 September 2011, 06:44 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think travellers are wonderful, kind and generous people.

It's just that 99% of them give the rest a bad name

dl
Old 01 September 2011, 07:59 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I think travellers are wonderful, kind and generous people.

It's just that 99% of them give the rest a bad name

dl
Old 01 September 2011, 08:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Say they gave in, do you think they would start paying council tax ?
Old 01 September 2011, 08:05 PM
Joe will
Scooby Regular

leave them there in one place rather then littering them across the contry thefting low lifes! o and save the 18m for a usfull course!
Old 01 September 2011, 09:40 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

if they're irish, why not ****ing travel round ireland, instead of polluting this country. i despise pikeys, always have, always will.
Old 01 September 2011, 10:50 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spudgun GTR
if they're irish, why not ****ing travel round ireland, instead of polluting this country. i despise pikeys, always have, always will.
learn to tell the difference between irish and pikeys.
Old 02 September 2011, 08:29 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

How many "daags" do they own
Old 02 September 2011, 09:28 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Sensationalist ill informed pap I'm afraid. the council has been battling this for years and all appeals have now run out. that is why it is crunch time.

I'll bulldoze it myself if they pay for travel and few days off work.

5t.
Old 02 September 2011, 10:08 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I had the joy of watching Redgrave on the TV this morning - she needs a get well card!

Hampshire CC have given the go ahead for this:-

http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s...r_twoyear_saga

Point them in the direction of Calais and let them really travel ...
Old 02 September 2011, 10:31 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

just seen some councillor on the news saying they have been offered council accomadation,so why is it decent hard working people have now chance or have to wait years to get one makes me sick

Quick Reply: Dale Farm