Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bank of America (formerly MBNA) plan to exit the UK

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-29241862/

Not good news, Mrs' works there
Old 16 August 2011, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They might even have to do the same in America too yet.

Les
Old 16 August 2011, 11:46 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

MBNA are pretty good and have a good portion of the market, so I expect they will be bought. Whether that'll save the 4000 jobs is a different matter...

Steve
Old 16 August 2011, 11:46 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Hope my interest free deal stays on my card!
Old 16 August 2011, 11:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by boxst
MBNA are pretty good and have a good portion of the market, so I expect they will be bought. Whether that'll save the 4000 jobs is a different matter...

Steve
Totally ruthless when it comes to customers who can't keep up on their CC payments though. Moreso than other companies. Also highly qeustionable on the practices involved in giving people credit when really they shouldn't qualify (although that's no different to most other credit companies though). But one highly critical thing that differs from others is they are often not even willing to negociate a reduced payment plans even for minor difficulties (whereas most other CC companies do). So maybe this had led to more of their customers defaulting on credit agreements forcing them to sell the debt to a third party on at a loss.

That's not a bad business model if you can sell the debt and make some profit inbetween. Problem is in this day and age everybody is at it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 August 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 16 August 2011, 12:01 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

They used to aggressively sell credit cards back in the day.

I used to get junk mail all the time when I was a skint student for example.
Old 16 August 2011, 12:17 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Good news. Complete shower of ****ers. Not often do I get irritated, but MBNA have pushed my buttons over the last 6 months. I pay my CC on time, every single month and I have done since day 1 of having an MBNA card (about 5 years). They are trying to stuff me for £££ in interest because my cheque did not clear for 20+ days. It was sent 10 days before the payment due date. I even called them 2 days before the due date to say the payment had not cleared and what was going on. Was told there is a back log and they would sort it. Took another 2 weeks to clear. They then had the cheek to refuse to re-fund the late payment charge and the interest charge. I cancelled my card (they did not bat an eye), and I refused to pay. Currently waiting to see what they do in terms of trying to get the late payment fee and interest - they have already made verbal threats on the phone. They can go and jump off a cliff for all I care. And the staff, whilst I dont wish anyone to lose their job, are so far stuck up their own **** that I dont have much sympathy.

Trending Topics

Old 16 August 2011, 12:34 PM
Scooby Senior

So my wife is stuck up her own **** There are 4000 people that work in Chester and you know them all? none of the people I know from her works are stuck up their own *****, but non of them deal with customers either,. they are all behind the scenes, I don't wish any of them to lose their jobs, and possibly homes if they can't pay their mortgages
Old 16 August 2011, 01:05 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Perhaps what I said is in anger, but like I said I don’t want *anyone* to lose their job.

However, that said, never EVER in my life have I been spoken too like how MBNA staff and a manager have spoken to me. I am a very polite and calm person. I made multiple attempts to explain the situation over the period of weeks, by phone and in writing. I have never missed a single payment on my account. I have several cards on one account. I would consider myself a perfect customer.

Every single person I have spoken too in relation to this matter has spoken to me like I am something on the bottom of their shoe. Honestly, hand on heart. To make matters worse, they refuse to reply in writing - 3 letters sent - all get a standard "we cant process your request please call...." they know what they are doing is wrong.

In terms of staff losing their homes, again I dont wish it on anyone, however the threats I was on the receiving end of from their staff were not that far off threatening my home, and my livelihood - "this will ruin your credit rating, you wont be able to get a mortgage ever again etc etc...." and said with real malice.

Best wishes to your wife, and I hope she keeps her employment - but I hope MBNA are gone forever. I guess someone will buy them out.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:12 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Every single person I have spoken too in relation to this matter has spoken to me like I am something on the bottom of their shoe.
Happens to everyone at one time or another, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it....except plot your revenge slowly.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
So my wife is stuck up her own **** There are 4000 people that work in Chester and you know them all? none of the people I know from her works are stuck up their own *****, but non of them deal with customers either,. they are all behind the scenes, I don't wish any of them to lose their jobs, and possibly homes if they can't pay their mortgages
Nothing wrong with the people. Its the company they work for and their operational tactics. The people who are involved in creating the operational procedures that steer customer hatred is another thing.

Our experience is similar to Billy's, whoever told call centre staff to act in the manner that they do and also how they handle customers who honestly have difficulty but ARE willing to pay however have had a change of circumstances (Stroke in our case...of which they were notified both on phone and in writing as soon as payment difficulty arose) needs severe redress.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 August 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Hope my interest free deal stays on my card!
Same here. I got an Amazon Mastercard (run by BoA/MBNA) a few years ago as doing some deal. Every month I get a new offer extending 0% for 12 mths. Shame about the fee but the same almost everywhere nowadays.

Only thing I dont like is its impossible to tell from their statements how much you have left outstanding on each 0% code. Have to keep track manually or call them up.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:49 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Dont like MBNA as a company, absolute showers of S***e and the way some of their staff talk to you. Had a CC card with them, never again. If they go under wont lose a moments sleep.

Richard