Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Microsoft" Phone Scam - BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2011, 09:25 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Microsoft" Phone Scam - BEWARE

my dad just rang me, saying earlier in the day when my mum (who is recovering from breast cancer) has a phone call from "microsoft" saying "turn your pc on you have a virus, we will clear it for you".

My mum being my mum, not technical at all goes and does what they've asked.

Now i work and use computers and have done for the last 26 years, if she had rung me i would have told her to put the phone down on them. I know its a scam, but the problem is, im 150 miles away from their house so i cant go checking it for spyware (i bet the bathplugs have installed a keylogger). I dont want to connect remotely as i dont know what these gits have put on the computer.

ive told my dad not to use paypal or his credit card. hopefully he'll listen. He's running spybot so ive given him instructions on how to update it and run scans and immunize and fix, hopefully that'll clear what crap they would have transferred onto it.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, do you know what ****e they put on your PC so i can advise me pops if his computer is going to be ok after spybot has done its thing (he's got avg free too)

If you've never heard about this before, please beware as there are people ringing up pretending to be microsoft and offering to clean your computer (for money of course) but what they do is access your pc first after giving you instructions on how to remote assist. Please just put the phone down if you get that type of call.

Carl
Old 04 August 2011, 10:32 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

The crunts called me the other day - Indian bloke on the other end.
I let him talk for a couple of minutes up to the point he asked me to go to a web address that he was going to ask me to tap in.

I'm 100% aware of this scam.

I just said that he must think that I am a fooking moron to fall for his **** - fvck off and never ever call me again.

Getting sick and tired of these types of calls - We are registered with TPS and still get calls from so-called legitimate companies who say they are allowed to call as TPS only restricts companies calling who are trying to sell something.
Old 04 August 2011, 10:33 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

run malwarebytes on the machine
Old 05 August 2011, 09:01 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

im going down next month so i'll do a manual check of files, registry, clear his temp directories and run some online scanners.

luckily dad was aware of this, he said he was shouting at them on the phone. good on him.

Luckily for THEM my mum didnt know about this scam, if she did, she would have tore them a new as5hole over the phone line (she's a feisty woman) lol
Old 05 August 2011, 09:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
The crunts called me the other day - Indian bloke on the other end.
I let him talk for a couple of minutes up to the point he asked me to go to a web address that he was going to ask me to tap in.

I'm 100% aware of this scam.

I just said that he must think that I am a fooking moron to fall for his **** - fvck off and never ever call me again.

Getting sick and tired of these types of calls - We are registered with TPS and still get calls from so-called legitimate companies who say they are allowed to call as TPS only restricts companies calling who are trying to sell something.
I think TPS can only deal with calls made in UK. dl
Old 05 August 2011, 01:34 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

My wife got a call like this while she was at her parents yesterday. She told em no, goodbye.
Thought they might just call random numbers but maybe I should check out their laptop