Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2011, 09:52 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay

Is it just me or is eBay getting worse to use? As a seller you are pretty much s*****d. For example you can no longer leave negative feedback for a buyer. So if they endlessly mess you around, or as I have had recently, fail to pay postage there's basically no way of warning others.

Postage is another issue as they set limits in certain categories, for example in books. I sold a guitar tab book and the most I could charge was £1.00 under what Royal Mail charge, and that was before I paid for packing.

It seems to me it's all weighted in the buyers favour. Paypal is easily abused as well. I've had people claim they've not received there item and claim through Paypal for the money. I've had to refund and also lost the item. Normally I try to send it recorded but some people refuse to pay it so you're stuck.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this, or even a way around it all?
Old 23 July 2011, 09:57 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a pain in the arris. nSelling vinyl is the same, they have put a ceiling on what you can charge for delivery, so when you send in packaging that mirrors the amount the buyer pays, you know it is substandard. That doesnt even take into account box sets.

I very very rarely sell on ebay any more, even though there is a good chance you will sell for over the odds on just about anything. Its just not worth it.
Old 23 July 2011, 10:13 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
It is a pain in the arris. nSelling vinyl is the same, they have put a ceiling on what you can charge for delivery, so when you send in packaging that mirrors the amount the buyer pays, you know it is substandard. That doesnt even take into account box sets.

I very very rarely sell on ebay any more, even though there is a good chance you will sell for over the odds on just about anything. Its just not worth it.
I sold off my vinyl collection a wee while ago and netted £1400 if I recall correctly. Like you say they put a ceiling on it. What I did was state in the listing that if you're buying a collection of 10 records there is no way I could post for what eBay set as the ceiling. I had quite a few people moan but it seemed to work. The problem is you shouldn't have to do that. There's no point seeking assistance from eBay if it goes wrong either. They are robots who struggle with basic English
Old 23 July 2011, 10:15 AM
FurballPhil
Scooby Regular

I think the postage price limit is to stop sellers avoiding paying ebay their % comission on the value of the item sold.

IE - Selling a Book that`s worth £10 for just 10p, but making the postage cost £10.
The seller only pays Ebay % of the 10p... The postage is not taken into account when paying Ebay their fees.
Old 23 July 2011, 10:16 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FurballPhil
I think the postage price limit is to stop sellers avoiding paying ebay their % comission on the value of the item sold.

IE - Selling a Book that`s worth £10 for just 10p, but making the postage cost £10.
The seller only pays Ebay % of the 10p... The postage is not taken into account when paying Ebay their fees.
That makes sense, but it also penalises honest sellers who cannot physically send an item for less than the ceiling.
Old 23 July 2011, 10:16 AM
jonnyrex
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with your comments ,I only tend to buy things now,unless i dont care what i get for it ,too many time wasting people asked daft questions,seller's and paypal fee's etc all and up to you not getting a great amount anymore ..
Once got neg feedback as he'd thought £10 p+p was too much on a brand new set of ladder clamps which were quite heavy(sold for about £10),It cost me about £17 to post the bloody things!!..which it clearly had marked on the package he received...what a twirp
Old 23 July 2011, 10:20 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyrex
Totally agree with your comments ,I only tend to buy things now,unless i dont care what i get for it ,too many time wasting people asked daft questions,seller's and paypal fee's etc all and up to you not getting a great amount anymore ..
Once got neg feedback as he'd thought £10 p+p was too much on a brand new set of ladder clamps which were quite heavy(sold for about £10),It cost me about £17 to post the bloody things!!..which it clearly had marked on the package he received...what a twirp
That's pathetic. If I end up paying more than what I've received for postage I copy the receipt and email the buyer. On the odd occasion people have given me the difference. In the main though they just ignore it. Too many people on there forgetting it's not business people selling items, it's just ordinary people wanting to shift stuff.