Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Baby Vacinations

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2011, 11:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Vacinations

I know it might not be the most interesting subject but hey, I need to talk about Poo!

Our 9 week old baby boy had his first set of vacinations about 10 days ago.
Straight away we noticed that his movements went from 1 a day to 10 a day!
Went to the doctor on Monday and he said it is not related but come back if not cleared up after couple of days. By last night, he was still going 6 times a day so we went back this morning.
A different doctor today said that it IS related and has probably got a form of gastroenteritis which may lead to him becoming lactose intolerant!

He gave us a small tub of of Lactose free SMA but I am pretty pissed off with the whole affair. We were aware that he might get a few minor symptons but nothing about permenant changes to my sons health!
It's making me wonder if I should let him have the next lot of injections.

Any thoughts apptreciated.
Old 22 July 2011, 11:24 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL

I came in here expecting to see a post on "baby holidays"!

Missread thread title FAIL!
Old 22 July 2011, 11:50 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our kids have had all the planned vaccinations.......all sorts of upsets but I've not heard about the lactose intolerance, that's a new one on me.

You can argue all day long about risk / benefit, the altruistic nature of vaccinations being for the general good (avoiding epidemics) and all that. At the end of the day it's down to your choice as a parent as the kids obviously can't make up their own minds and you have the responsiility..

Shaun
Old 22 July 2011, 12:13 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Not sure how you'd get gastroenteritis from a vaccination. Sure he didn't just pick something up around the same time? Great place for picking up all sorts of diseases are doctors surgeries especially as they never look that clean to me, hence why I actively avoid going anywhere near the places.

Our lad have his second round of shots yesterday and he's been as right as rain so far. They did say after the first lot that he may be a little feverish and that we could give him Calpol but it didn't seem to effect him.

I would seek a second opinion.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:16 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid the state has a long history of withholding the facts on vaccinations.
They have also give the vaccine manufacturers complete immunity (excuse the pun) from any prosecution arising from injury or death related to vaccines, which is unheard of for any other drug.
Also, doctors and nurses have the highest rate of unvaccinated children of any profession.

My kids have not had any jabs and never will:

This is a good book on it if you want to do some research:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaccine-Safe...1333273&sr=8-2
Old 22 July 2011, 12:20 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Symptoms tend to take a while to appear after the second set, if they do at all.

It's a new one to me as well, but im no doctor. As Dodger said, second opinion would be the best route.

Dont worry too much about what the tin foil hat brigade say either, it's quite rare that someone's arms and legs fall off due to vaccinations.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

We are between a rock and hard place.
It is not as if the government can be trusted but if we don't get the next lot and my boy gets sick because of our decision, I will never forgive myself.

He isn't in any pain, he has just become a poop machine and always seems to release mid feed.
Just want the best for my lad and to be honest, the way the government has performed in recent years, I really don't have any faith in them.

Think we will mull it over and make a decision. He could well of just picked something up whilst at the doctors. Who knows.
New parents alert!

Last edited by Gear Head; 22 July 2011 at 12:24 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 22 July 2011, 12:27 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you mean, we ponder the same at the time, and again when i was given the option of having the H1N1 vaccination (I've got a heart condition). Did it in the end though and i'm still here.
Old 22 July 2011, 06:24 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I don't have kids so benefit from not having to consider the daily frequency of baby **** production
Old 22 July 2011, 06:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

The drug companies might have limited liability but the NHS / Taxpayer carries the can for immunisations that go wrong. GB syndrome for example

Shaun
Old 22 July 2011, 06:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Kids Sh*t, fact of life

My 2 have had all jabs with no probs...

my eldest had MMR, HIB, Hep A & typhoid all on the same day

The only risk was that the typhiod my not have been so effective as the immune system was coping with all the other vacs

as the doc said some immunity is better than no immunity ....

re gastro, 2 days of non stop pooing , puking , & malaise...

kids are resiliant....

If your that worried, take him to your GP or A&E, dont consult us (were not doctors, just old parents )

it may be a simple gut infection, which needs antibiotics

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 22 July 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 08:33 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I would be inclined to think the tummy upset was just a coincidence. And I'm also shocked that a tummy upset can have anything to do with lactose intolerance.
I would be interested in finding out where that link comes from.
Old 22 July 2011, 08:47 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well we tried him on the lactose free sma milk which he puked straight back up, which he has never done with his normal cow & gate milk. So we have gone back to cow & gate as he still has lots of colour and he has actually had less movements today, only 3 I think so far. Just a very worrying time for newbie parents.

I just dislike most doctors to be honest, don't trust any of them. We know our baby and I am very confident that is was related to his jabs. Then again, he getting a live strain, so looking at it logically, he will be a bit 'off' for a few days. He has just been so happy and content up until now. He even sleeps from 11pm to 7am most nights and he is not even 10 weeks old yet.
Old 22 July 2011, 08:58 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't give the little one the lactose free milk, not without proper tests.

I think sometimes doctors tend to just fob parents off because they assume they just want to know what wrong with their baby.

Just keep an eye on the poops. If he seems more settled at the moment then it cannot be down to the milk.
Old 22 July 2011, 09:34 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it is settling down. I wouldn't change the milk. I would do the further vaccinations as per the schedule.

6 times, 3 times, 10 times, once, it really doesn't matter.
Old 22 July 2011, 09:49 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

It was definitely a difficult decision choosing not to vaccinate our kids but i still stand by it. We did absolutely loads of research and still do. I have a degree in biology so I am used to reading research papers which helped.
I agree it is scary thinking, what if they get ill and i didn't vaccinate but at the same time you could say what if i gave them an injection that left them paralysed, which is a risk of vaccination (they don't usually mention that)
Old 22 July 2011, 11:04 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

DonNedly

See my post number 3, as I said it's all about parental choice.

I have a degree too (ok I have more than one, PhD, MSc and a few more) and am used to reading research papers and, like the vast majority of my colleagues, have had the full immunisation programme for my 3 kids....

Shaun
Old 23 July 2011, 12:50 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We must be lucky our little one poo's sane time near enough.

One in morning one about tea time.

Sounds cruel but she looks dead funny cramming.
Old 23 July 2011, 06:18 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

enjoy the 11pm to 7am sleeps!! they dont last lol!!!
Old 23 July 2011, 08:49 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not a doctor - can you tell?

I worried abou the MMR for our daughter (9) but in the end I decided as said above, some is better than none and being a girl she probably wouldn't end up autistc.

It can be a worry what to do for them for the best, you do feel as though you can't really trust anyone. So, you just have to go on your own judgement.

The only thing I would say about kids and babies, if they look healthy and fight you (i.e. moving around and complaining to you) they are fine. It's when they go pale and quiet is when its time for an A&E visit.

My wifes family should have year-long passes to the entire NHS system her sisters youngest had his jabs on the Monday, they then drove for 7 hours down to see us and then couldn't work out why he wouldn't settle, wouldn't feed and was generally clearly pi55ed off. They instantly decided something was wrong and went to A&E - I even bet a local relative £5 that within 24 hours they'd be up the hospital - hence we got foul looks when the decision for the visit was made and we started to laugh.

All these jabs and what not make them feel like rubbish for a while but pretty much all of them get over it. I've never once actually heard of any child having long term illnesses from jabs and the wifes family is single handidly doubling the UK population every year so I get to hear about the exploits of a fair few mothers and babies (such a joy )
Old 23 July 2011, 09:07 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Borderlinechris...........slightly off topic, theres a message for you in the general section of Cumbrianscoobs

Shaun
Old 23 July 2011, 09:15 AM
dan.evans
Scooby Regular

My newest son is 12 weeks old, and he went through a speel of pooing a lot after a set of injections, but it cleared up after a few weeks mate, and id deffo recomend getting all there planned injections.
Old 23 July 2011, 10:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We did not have those vaccinations apart from smallpox and polio when I was a child so like most others I had all those childhood illnesses which made me resistant to them in the future.

I am no expert but it seems to me that giving all those vaccinations all at once is very unwise even though it is convenient and cheaper for the authorities.

With all those antibodies reacting to several different viruses all at once, I think that in some cases a child's system is being put at risk and I would not risk it being done to one of my children. It just seems common sense to me.

Les
Old 23 July 2011, 02:40 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
DonNedly

See my post number 3, as I said it's all about parental choice.

I have a degree too (ok I have more than one, PhD, MSc and a few more) and am used to reading research papers and, like the vast majority of my colleagues, have had the full immunisation programme for my 3 kids....

Shaun
I agree it is about personal choice. I just think it should be an informed choice and most doctors will only give you one side of the story especially when they are incentivised to give as many jabs as possible.
I would never pressure anyone to refuse the jabs but i have had to take a fair bit of abuse and ridicule for not vaccinating my kids.

Live and let live, i say.
Old 23 July 2011, 03:03 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

When my little girl had her injections they said that some symptons can manifest upto ten days after the injection.
Old 24 July 2011, 11:47 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
We did not have those vaccinations apart from smallpox and polio when I was a child so like most others I had all those childhood illnesses which made me resistant to them in the future.

I am no expert but it seems to me that giving all those vaccinations all at once is very unwise even though it is convenient and cheaper for the authorities.

With all those antibodies reacting to several different viruses all at once, I think that in some cases a child's system is being put at risk and I would not risk it being done to one of my children. It just seems common sense to me.

Les
With the dramatic improvements in sanitation and immunisation in the last century it is easy to take for granted the reductions in mortality and morbidity they confer. It then becomes fashionable for people that have not studied immunology and are not licensed medical professionals to try to kill the golden goose. Measles is making a comeback because of this nonsense, whereas doctors of my generation were inexperienced in recognising and treating it (but sadly now gaining that experience) as the war had almost been won.

Amongst the patients I have known, maybe the one that has learning difficulties and deafness due to congenital rubella could have been a pilot? One who died of meningitis was training to be a nurse.

Many who oppose immunisation on spurious idealogical grounds have not witnessed the full horror of the alternative and do not appreciate what has been won for them. They instead propogate junk science. I daresay some of them have already benefitted from immunisation without realising it.
Old 24 July 2011, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
With the dramatic improvements in sanitation and immunisation in the last century it is easy to take for granted the reductions in mortality and morbidity they confer. It then becomes fashionable for people that have not studied immunology and are not licensed medical professionals to try to kill the golden goose. Measles is making a comeback because of this nonsense, whereas doctors of my generation were inexperienced in recognising and treating it (but sadly now gaining that experience) as the war had almost been won.

Amongst the patients I have known, maybe the one that has learning difficulties and deafness due to congenital rubella could have been a pilot? One who died of meningitis was training to be a nurse.

Many who oppose immunisation on spurious idealogical grounds have not witnessed the full horror of the alternative and do not appreciate what has been won for them. They instead propogate junk science. I daresay some of them have already benefitted from immunisation without realising it.
I certainly was not arguing against vaccination or immunisation. I think that is a sensible thing to do.

My point, which I thought was clear enough, was that I suspected that giving them all at once in one injection was unwise and was done in order to save money.

I did also say that I don't claim to be an expert, but that there are cases of children having problems possibly because of the method which is used.

Les
Old 24 July 2011, 05:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Your points were clear, but I was mainly responding to the first point. Your second point is not supported by quality evidence, even though it is an argument that some find appealing. Delays, licensing problems, lack of evidence of superiority in any measurable way and potential loss of combination adjuvant effect are more realistic issues for single vaccines than cost or safety are for combination vaccines. Appealing arguments without evidence are not a sound basis for devising immunisation policies. Cost effective prescribing, not at the expense of safety, is a bedrock of modern healthcare and part of the skill of delivering it well, not something to be criticised.
Old 30 July 2011, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As long as it is definitely at the cost of safety then there is no argument of course. I just wonder if it is 100% certain that loading up a child's immune system with multiple vaccines all at once is wise.

Les