CRB checks

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2011, 07:51 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRB checks

Need some advice peeps

I find myself on the jobs market after being made redundant from my job last week after 7years of continuous service.

11 years ago i gaind a criminal record, single conviction whilst suffering from a nervous breakdown and taking anti depressants, no excuse i know.

After doing some research over the last few days, it appears that individuals cant apply for a CRB check themselves, it has to be done by a prospective employer, but i would like to know if my conviction is showing or not before applying for certain jobs, i know it is classed as spent, but some say they show and others say they dont so could do with knowing once and for all.

Any help appreciated
Old 18 July 2011, 08:01 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

sorry im of no help - but can you not through freedom of informaton find out your own background, while other people can?

doesnt quite seem rite
Old 18 July 2011, 08:03 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tricky one, It costs money to apply for a CRB check so CRB checks are applied for after you have been offered the job "subject to satisfactory references and a CRB check" and all that.

Your conviction would almost certainly show on the extended CRB check I have because I come across vulnerable adults and children in my line of work.... even though it might be spent.

Anyone here in HR ??

Shaun
Old 18 July 2011, 08:08 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
sorry im of no help - but can you not through freedom of informaton find out your own background, while other people can?

doesnt quite seem rite
Yeh, i fully agree, cant think why they would not allow an individual to apply for their own check unless they were worried about forgeries or something.
Old 18 July 2011, 08:10 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

The one thing i know, is im only requiring a standard crb check as apposed to an enhanced one as im not involved in the relevant jobs that require enhanced level checks.
Old 18 July 2011, 08:15 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Any employer can choose between a normal or extanded CRB, whether you may be working with children etc or not. What you'll find is depending on the role in question, the employer may take certain convictions into account and not others.

All i'd suggest is go for it, but be sure to be honest about the conviction on any application.
Old 18 July 2011, 08:16 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
The one thing i know, is im only requiring a standard crb check as apposed to an enhanced one as im not involved in the relevant jobs that require enhanced level checks.
There's nothing to stop a potential employer carrying out an extended CRB though.

Trending Topics

Old 18 July 2011, 08:27 PM
Jonny_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the last time i worked in a police station front office we always had people come in with the form and the £10 fee and that was that...

here is the info, a company has to request the info but you have to agree and apply for it. if that makes sense

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...wjob/DG_195809 has lots of info
Old 18 July 2011, 09:27 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My work insist on them, but normally unless your an axe muderer your ok, we did employ a consultant on 100k A YEAR, he later was convicted of smuggling drugs and banged up for 8 years ( Hes Appealing ) but before he joined he was already on the books as a criminal, i only hazard a guess he chose no

To be honest m8 if you choose yes they would most probably not emply you, if you dont choose it then all they can do it not emply you,

Its all about honesty though really. If your incident was quite harmless just be honest m8, im sure youll be ok.

I remember ages ago like 1994 i was a sparky before all this IT crap, and i was working on a WIMPEY homes site rewireing 400 houses, every lunchtime i used to sit in one of the houses and have lunch with a builders Laborour , after the weeks passed i asked him how long hed worked for WIMPEY , oooo about 1 year since i came out , I said came out of where ? he said jail i was in for 18 years, obviously my spam sandwiches didnt wanna go down so i asked what for, he said attempted murder , hed found a bloke in bed with his wife and nearly killed him.
LOL

goes to show anybody can get work and be gven chances, good job he was a nice bloke i worked in loadsa houses with him , he couldve snapped and had me :P

Last edited by Littleted; 18 July 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 18 July 2011, 10:14 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the spent conviction will show on the check, and depending on if you have to complete the form for your new employer to send off iirc their is a space on the form to tick previous convictions spent or not. (near the end by the signature box)

Having just completed on myself I remember it.
Old 18 July 2011, 10:36 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

What about if you've been arrested, charged, up before the Magistrates and found not guilty - Is THAT all recorded?
Old 18 July 2011, 10:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Conviction will show up on an enhanced as well as on a standard CRB check, but the employer requiring just a standard CRB check may not hold your past conviction/s against you. It depends upon the nature of your new job. Well, I hope so, anyway. Villianisation is not the answer to prevent crime. Instead, people not being able to get jobs for committing minor offences in their previous lives will lead to the crime epidemic IMO. Anyhow, be honest, state on your CRB form what's what, and go for it. Best wishes.
Old 18 July 2011, 10:50 PM
mrs_b4
Scooby Regular

I think there are certain websites where you pay to find out about criminal convictions on file,I have an enhanced CRB for my job as I work with vulnerable people and it will almost certainly show up on any CRB spent or not,it does depend on what sort of job you're looking for I'm pretty sure most employers would consider your application unless it was working with children vulnerable adults etc, good luck
Old 18 July 2011, 10:55 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice people, what a nightmare though in the real world to have to deal with!!
Old 18 July 2011, 11:43 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Why don't you just phone CRB and ask?

It's all a bit confusing tbh. My son was giving home tuition to kids wanting to learn the guitar so I thought get him a CRB check that he could show kids' parents that he was legit. Not a chance as it had to be obtained through his employer. Never got to the bottom of this. Load of bollox IMO.

Good luck anyway.

dl
Old 19 July 2011, 10:57 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

I think employers ask if you have any 'unspent' convictions - this is the key. As your's is spent by answering no here you've not done anything wrong.

Furthermore, employers can only ask for an enhanced check in cases where you are in contact with kids or adults with learning difficulties - they can't ask for it just because they want to.

A standard CRB won't show the spent conviction mate so you shouldn't hav any issues

For clarity might be worth calling CRB.

HTH
Old 19 July 2011, 12:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yes, you can apply for your own check - it does cost. You cannot apply for a CRB check for someone else unless you have written consent (in the form of a CRB or E-CRB application form) from said person.

Last edited by The Zohan; 19 July 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 19 July 2011, 01:01 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

isn't there a time frame which means convictions are spent after a certain time ?

I;d ring them mate rather than ask on here.

I do CRB checks for all my staff.

best one recently was for a post helping vulnerable people- support worker type role. was going to give it to a young asian lad.

crb check showed him having been done for picking up under age girls in his car for purposes of soliciting.

entered into huge debate with him and his solicitor about it "not being his car"

"well ok its my car"

"well a mate had it"

"well someone was in my car that looked like me"

jeezzzzzzzzzz...................
Old 19 July 2011, 05:11 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Any CRB check will show all convictions. An enhanced check wll show any relevent information about you held by the police.
Old 20 July 2011, 11:31 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Well it seems honesty is the best policy, the first job i got an interview for ive just secured, so im well chuffed, start 1st august, thanks for all the advice.
Old 20 July 2011, 12:47 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You can apply for your own CRB check - I have done it myself. You can only get standard, not enhanced. Usually takes about three weeks.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply/individuals/

I know it is a Scottish Website - I suspect law on disclosure is different in Scotland, however it will do a full check, not just Scottish infringements!!!
Old 20 July 2011, 01:12 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done

Shaun
Old 20 July 2011, 01:30 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

What was your record for ?
Old 20 July 2011, 01:39 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
You can apply for your own CRB check - I have done it myself. You can only get standard, not enhanced. Usually takes about three weeks.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply/individuals/

I know it is a Scottish Website - I suspect law on disclosure is different in Scotland, however it will do a full check, not just Scottish infringements!!!
That's what we have at work. To check if we don't fiddle with old people
Old 20 July 2011, 01:49 PM
eugmul
Scooby Regular

Well done on the job.

As most have mentioned you can apply for the CRB yourself, it costs around the £15 mark and takes around 3weeks to come back.

I work at an airport so need security clearance for my pass, there are different levels of pass.A guy I work with says it takes seven years for his particular record to come off, his was for bashing someone then he can apply for a full pass.
Old 20 July 2011, 01:52 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Call me nuts but i'm guessing Stansted
Old 20 July 2011, 02:14 PM
eugmul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Call me nuts but i'm guessing Stansted
OK "nuts" but you could be onto something lol