Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Off to Pembrokeshire - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2011, 09:16 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off to Pembrokeshire - recommendations?

I'm off to Pembrokeshire tomorrow, somewhere near Fishguard. Never been there before and we're going with our in-laws and our nephews and nieces. Renting a big house. Looks like a lovely part of the world.

However, what to do? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Roll on a good week of weather!
Old 15 July 2011, 09:19 AM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take thee fishing rod lad....
Old 15 July 2011, 09:32 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

If the weather is nice park your **** on Barafundle Bay for the day, you wont find a better beach anywhere.

Chip
Old 15 July 2011, 09:52 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

St Davids & Whitesands Bay - about a 15 mile drive from Fishguard along a stunning road. Pembrokeshire coastal path is a good walk. Fast rib boat from St Justinian's life boat pier around the Island to look at the seals/porpoises/go into sea caves etc and see the standing waves. It's bloody fast too and they open it up to give the kids and parents a thrill - you'll get wet . Book and pay for it in St David's - well worth it
Old 15 July 2011, 10:52 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
St Davids & Whitesands Bay - about a 15 mile drive from Fishguard along a stunning road. Pembrokeshire coastal path is a good walk. Fast rib boat from St Justinian's life boat pier around the Island to look at the seals/porpoises/go into sea caves etc and see the standing waves. It's bloody fast too and they open it up to give the kids and parents a thrill - you'll get wet . Book and pay for it in St David's - well worth it

Now that sounds like a great recommendation

dl
Old 15 July 2011, 11:05 AM
Turboman75
Scooby Newbie

Tenby is quite nice this time of year, get a boat from the beach across to Caldey Island and have look around the monastery, or go to Skomer Island if you like seeing wildlife.

Last edited by Turboman75; 15 July 2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 15 July 2011, 11:32 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Another vote for a trip to Skomer. See a million puffins up close

Trending Topics

Old 15 July 2011, 11:32 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

How old are the children?

There us a place called Folly Farm, massive farm/zoo type thing with outdoor play areas. It's very good, and children love it!

They can bottle feed a lamb, that sort of thing.

Tenby is also lovely, I have many fond memories of visiting as a child, and one not so fond memory after having a child!! Let's just say I got pregnant and there is only one way you can get pregnant when taking the pill!

Anyhow, Fishguard is also nice, and if it's your thing you, Cauldy Island (sp?) is a big tourist attraction, I have never been though.

There is also a theme park near by. My sister went a few years ago and said it was good.

A quick google search of the area will throw up an events list of anything that might be going on locally when you are there.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 15 July 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 15 July 2011, 12:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

If you like walking and nature you will like the Marloes peninsula.

I spend 6 weeks there years ago doing a uni project.

Explored every nook and cove.

Loads of seals and rare birds etc, it's very untouched by man.
Old 15 July 2011, 12:58 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Folly Farm is a great shout. they have invested a huge amount of money recently.

Another option is Oakwood Park (Theme Park)
Old 15 July 2011, 01:49 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Fantastic place, the wife and I had our honeymoon there, deserted beaches, old castles and stuff, Tenby is nice too. That said we went at the start of December so not so many tourists, nice a quiet everywhere. Holiday cottage had a hot tub and a woodburner, bliss
Old 15 July 2011, 01:51 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Any recommendations for fly fishing, or rock/pier fishing?
Old 15 July 2011, 02:07 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

From years ago when I used to go there. Don't know if any of these are still going.

Fecci's Ice cream parlour in Tenby
Castle Martin tank range if their firing
Bosheston lilly ponds.
Saunderfoot harbour. Used to be a great place fishing trips from boats.
Pembroke Castle
Old 15 July 2011, 02:35 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the recomendations - some top tips and should help make the stay all the better. I've fancied going here for years now, really looking forwards to it. Some say it's like Cornwall before it was discovered. The fast rib sounds great! The wife wants to see dolphins/seals/puffins, which it sound like there are lots of. I like the walks and the historical side of life. Can't beat a good castle.

Cheers again to all who have replied,

James
Old 15 July 2011, 03:01 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
Folly Farm is a great shout. they have invested a huge amount of money recently.

Another option is Oakwood Park (Theme Park)
Oakwood Park - that's the one I was thinking of!
Old 15 July 2011, 03:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon C
Bosheston lilly ponds.
Saunderfoot harbour. Used to be a great place fishing trips from boats.
Pembroke Castle
I live in Haverfordwest so not far from Fishguard - although I haven't spent much time up that way.

Porthgain is cool and close by FG. You can have lunch in The Sloop or the Boat Shed. Sloop used to be lovely but last meal was rubbish. Boat Shed does very good fish and chips. Theres another walk - longer than Bosheston - past the ruins of the slate quarry to the blue lagoon (not the swimming pool, the real one) which again is lovely.

Walk round St Davids Catherdal is nice. St David's itself is a bit small but I guess you could go along to Solva and Broad Haven - more walking.

Bosheston is a great place but a good hour from Fishguard. When it's very hot you'd wonder why people even bother getting on a plane. Lovely walk and really nice beach. It's a fair walk to the beach from the little car park.

Further on is Saundersfoot and Tenby are worth a visit although can be a bit of a mission in the summer. Multi story and walk in is the best bet as parking in town is crazy. Cool dude doing the glass blowing, and best fish and chips is the one on the corner if you enter the town via the "battlements" but you'd probably walk that way anyway if in the multi story.

Wife and I met working in a restaurant in Saundersfoot and were holding hands within an hour of meeting.

Still in that area you've got lots of fun parks.

Oakwood is like a poor mans Alton Towers but not actually much cheaper. Kids like it I guess.

Folly Farm is a good one for nippers and theres enough to keep everyone busy - the indoor funfair is a bit of a con as you have to pay for ride tokens.

Manor Park is owned by Anna Ryder Richardson and although the animals look much happier there are fewer animals and to be fair more of a nice walk - the Lemurs are cool though as you go into their cage not you look into their cage. She's always there too.

Dinosaur Park - is ok, but rubbish. Don't think T Rex was really pink but who knows.

Heatherton is near Manor Park and more of an activities park. Never been but my daugter went with brownies and liked it.

If the weather is bad go to The Blue Lagoon. It's like Centre Parcs but the public can use the water park. go in the morning as it gets busy in the afternoon.

If weather is consistently poor, the cinema back down the road in Carmarthen is very good.

There are plenty of other things to do and most places will have those little leaflet things - The services at the end of the M4 has all the Pembs places actually.

Google pics Bosheston and Blue Lagoon.

Last edited by EddScott; 15 July 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 15 July 2011, 03:13 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

Watch out for camera vans on the A48 and A40, they are quite sneaky and hide close into the hedges. I saw 3 this morning!
Old 15 July 2011, 03:22 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Which restraunt in saundrsfoot did u meet in?
Old 15 July 2011, 03:38 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Its called The Mulberry now. Can't remember what it was called when we worked there. It was in 2000/01

Good point on the camera vans - although there aren't any fixed cameras in Pembrokeshire.
Old 15 July 2011, 03:46 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Agree with Heatherton. I was down this way 2 weeks ago lol
Old 15 July 2011, 05:25 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

New Quay, It's 40 mile up the coast but you would be very unlucky not to see the Dolphins from the harbour wall, nice village/town and a nice beach.
Old 15 July 2011, 09:01 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I live in Haverfordwest so not far from Fishguard - although I haven't spent much time up that way.

Porthgain is cool and close by FG. You can have lunch in The Sloop or the Boat Shed. Sloop used to be lovely but last meal was rubbish. Boat Shed does very good fish and chips. Theres another walk - longer than Bosheston - past the ruins of the slate quarry to the blue lagoon (not the swimming pool, the real one) which again is lovely.

Walk round St Davids Catherdal is nice. St David's itself is a bit small but I guess you could go along to Solva and Broad Haven - more walking.

Bosheston is a great place but a good hour from Fishguard. When it's very hot you'd wonder why people even bother getting on a plane. Lovely walk and really nice beach. It's a fair walk to the beach from the little car park.

Further on is Saundersfoot and Tenby are worth a visit although can be a bit of a mission in the summer. Multi story and walk in is the best bet as parking in town is crazy. Cool dude doing the glass blowing, and best fish and chips is the one on the corner if you enter the town via the "battlements" but you'd probably walk that way anyway if in the multi story.

Wife and I met working in a restaurant in Saundersfoot and were holding hands within an hour of meeting.

Still in that area you've got lots of fun parks.

Oakwood is like a poor mans Alton Towers but not actually much cheaper. Kids like it I guess.

Folly Farm is a good one for nippers and theres enough to keep everyone busy - the indoor funfair is a bit of a con as you have to pay for ride tokens.

Manor Park is owned by Anna Ryder Richardson and although the animals look much happier there are fewer animals and to be fair more of a nice walk - the Lemurs are cool though as you go into their cage not you look into their cage. She's always there too.

Dinosaur Park - is ok, but rubbish. Don't think T Rex was really pink but who knows.

Heatherton is near Manor Park and more of an activities park. Never been but my daugter went with brownies and liked it.

If the weather is bad go to The Blue Lagoon. It's like Centre Parcs but the public can use the water park. go in the morning as it gets busy in the afternoon.

If weather is consistently poor, the cinema back down the road in Carmarthen is very good.

There are plenty of other things to do and most places will have those little leaflet things - The services at the end of the M4 has all the Pembs places actually.

Google pics Bosheston and Blue Lagoon.
Top reply - thanks for taking the time.

I was a bit worried about my nephews and nieces - the weather looks a bit dodgey, but there seems like enough to do.

I won't be taking the Scoob, I'll be off in the HiLux, so cameras less of a threat I hope. Slap on the cruise control and lay back and enjoy the scenery.

Agree about T-rex - pure specualtion. I'd go for blue.

Thanks again!

James
Old 15 July 2011, 09:12 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

We went to Strumble Head lighthouse a few years ago and there were seals everywhere, the kids loved it.

I used to love Llangranog when I was a kid. Loads of lovely beaches around there.

Chip
Old 15 July 2011, 09:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

remember to take your surfing and windsurfing kit

cracking conditions in west wales

and looks like great weather for it too you lucky git

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 15 July 2011 at 09:39 PM.