Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Iphone, need some help setting it up.

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2011, 09:19 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone, need some help setting it up.

Ive not owned an iphone before so this is my first one, i recently bought an iphone 3GS 32GB from someone, it was advertised as unlocked to all networks.

I just put the SIM card in for the first time and then switched on the phone, it powered up and was telling me to connect to itunes which i did.

On connecting to itunes i got a message in the middle that said "The SIM card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported".

I'm with Vodafone, i'm on a SIM only deal with them which i prefer as it allows me to buy my own phone plus the deal i have is a good one.

Any ideas whats going on ?
Old 10 July 2011, 09:24 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

sounds like it was jailbroken and by connecting to itunes it has un jailbroken at a guess?
Old 10 July 2011, 09:26 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
sounds like it was jailbroken and by connecting to itunes it has un jailbroken at a guess?
He said it used to be his wifes phone and has never been jailbroken, before he sent it he did a factory reset so any data of his was cleared.
Old 10 July 2011, 09:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It's not unlocked. Search for the O2 iPhone unlock web site and run through that. Might work.
Old 10 July 2011, 10:27 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

If the Iphone is not under contract still then it can be unlocked by the carrier. If however the guy who sold it still has a contract running on that phone then you will have to jailbreak and unlock that way instructions here: http://www.redmondpie.com/unlock-4.3...w-to-tutorial/
Old 10 July 2011, 10:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Wrong. O2 will unlock at any time.
Old 10 July 2011, 10:30 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Please excuse my ignorance. Why would o2 unlock a phone that is say locked on orange. I dont understand.

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2011, 10:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a data carrier for the phone to connect to i-tunes. Use the phone simply as a phone........use the attached cable to the PC or use any wi-fi you have

Shaun
Old 10 July 2011, 10:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve
Please excuse my ignorance. Why would o2 unlock a phone that is say locked on orange. I dont understand.
Perhaps I'm missing something but I did not see Orange mentioned. The OP mentioned he is using Vodafone, is that what you meant?

Anyway, if the phone originally was with O2, ie; the seller was with O2, then O2 might unlock it.

It sounds as though the phone might have been jailbroken and unlocked, and when the seller did a factory reset it would have removed the jailbreak and unlock. That or the seller was either misinformed themselves as to what unlocked meant / was, or was simply lying about it being unlocked.

To the OP. What iOS version is the phone running? (Go into settings app, then tap General, then About, scroll and it should say iOS / firmware version), while you are there, have a look for baseband version, it'll be a number, something like: 05.16.02 (format is basically 00.00.00 - so look for a field in that format). Let me know what those values are and I'll have a look and see if there is a jailbreak and / or unlock for the device. It's possible there might not be though. My guess is that if it's a recent phone then it's iOS 4.3.3 and baseband 05.16.02, which there isn't an unlock for

If there isn't an unlock, and it wasn't previously on O2, and / or the other carrier won't unlock it for you, then you'll need to find out who the previous network was and use a SIM from them.
Old 10 July 2011, 10:50 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I think that is what he is saying Markus, as in we don't know it's on o2 so why would o2 unlock it if it's on say orange with orange being the example.

Old 10 July 2011, 11:06 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Markus: This still can be unlocked using Redsnow the only problem is that you have to upgrade your baseband to ipad basband 06.15.?? and this is irreversible. not something i would advise.
Old 10 July 2011, 11:10 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Markus

Sorry if i come across as a bit thick here, its just i'm not familiar with iphones.

How do i get into the settings to find out that info because when i turn on the phone its telling me to go to itunes, the only thing i can click on the screen is a slider icon emergency or a little i (info) icon which brings up an IEMI number which it gives and it also says ICCID unkown.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 10 July 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10 July 2011, 11:15 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Markus

Sorry if i come across as a bit thick here, its just i'm nopt familiar with iphones.

How do i get into the settings to find out that info because when i turn on the phone its telling me to go to itunes, the only thing i can click on the screen is a slider icon emergency or a little i (info) icon which brings up an IEMI number which it gives and it also says ICCID unkown.
Without using the "official network sim" the only way is to jailbreak with redsnow and use there "hacktivate" function.

On the other and each network provider offers free sims.
Old 10 July 2011, 11:53 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

As long as it is over a year old, all carriers will unlock their phones for a fee of £20.
Old 11 July 2011, 09:55 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Basically i bought it from ebay, the person who i bought it from has impeccable feedback, they seem to be a camera enthusiast from their feedback as i checked just to see if they sold phones regular and they don't.

He said he bought it brand new off ebay and it was described as unlocked and sealed, he put his O2 SIM card in and it worked straight away so he never gave it a second thought, he then gave it to his wife at a later date when he bought the new iphone 4.

Ive asked him to call O2 and see if they will give him the unlock code as he's one of their customers, lets just say he can get the unlock code, would i need an O2 SIM card to unlock it in itunes as i have a Vodafone SIM myself ?

Can you get a free O2 SIM card if need be to get it unlocked ?
Old 11 July 2011, 10:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...oute=unlocking

Give this a go, you might need to get a free payg O2 sim.
Old 11 July 2011, 10:51 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jack

That maybe the best option, i had a word with live chat.

They said you need to get an 02 Pay As You Go SIM, then make 2 chargeable calls and then after 24 hours contact them and they will unlock it for £15.

I passed that info onto who i bought it from, should get it sorted in the end.
Old 11 July 2011, 11:02 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nice one, do pursue it and avoid hacking the phone. An officially unlocked phone is worth twice as much.
Old 12 July 2011, 06:31 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Yeh Jack, i would never entertain hacking/jailbreaking an iphone as they are hard to shift if your upgrading at a later date.

The seller who sold me the phone has requested the unlock code from 02, it normally takes upto 3 days. He was totally unaware it was locked to 02, he's even refunded me £20 for the inconvenience.