Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Retail sector - still sinking fast

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2011, 01:13 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retail sector - still sinking fast

In the last 7 days Habitat, Moben and Jane Norman have all gone into administration.

There won't be any shops left soon, but as long as we are doing some trade deals with China then all is well
Old 27 June 2011, 01:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

get rid of the chaff !

Last edited by dpb; 27 June 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 27 June 2011, 01:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
get rid of the chaff !
But there won't be any wheat soon either LOL!
Old 27 June 2011, 01:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to leave my ship ASAP but no feckin company wants me. I've even applied to become an apprentice electrical engineer but it looks like I'm too "old" at 25 ffs.
Old 27 June 2011, 01:26 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's all gone online.
Old 27 June 2011, 02:35 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
In the last 7 days Habitat, Moben and Jane Norman have all gone into administration.

There won't be any shops left soon, but as long as we are doing some trade deals with China then all is well
Lets see:-

Habitat - Massively over priced, average quality furniture and home wares.
Moben - Massively over priced kitchens.
Jane Norman - No idea as I'm no a girl

High street retailers have got to move with the time to succeed. For the consumer the Internet was a massive blessing, we now have the tools at our fingertips to research any purchase and find the most competitive prices. Either match these on the high street, or provide real value added services to the consumer.

What is positive I think is it allows the smaller independent retailers to compete with the big players at a national level. As they don't have the overheads of these mega shops the can afford to significantly undercut them and still make a profit. For example I'm consider a new TV purchase at the moment - Currys £2k, independent £1.5k, why would anyone ever buy from Currys again?

The big supermarket chains also have an interesting sales concept. I don't often go there to buy clothes, a electrical gadget, book etc., I go to buy food. The have however been a number of occasions when I've come away with more than expected, be it a T-shirt or a TV.

The old fashioned stores need to innovate to get the customers flooding back through their doors. I think there may be more to follow
Old 27 June 2011, 03:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would you like the govt to bail out the retail sector a little more?
Old 27 June 2011, 04:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
What is positive I think is it allows the smaller independent retailers to compete with the big players at a national level. As they don't have the overheads of these mega shops the can afford to significantly undercut them and still make a profit. For example I'm consider a new TV purchase at the moment - Currys £2k, independent £1.5k, why would anyone ever buy from Currys again?
I just don't get why these large chains insist on going to out of town retail parks - I assume wheels are greased in the first place to get the things built (most people agree they are bad for town centres) BUT these large retail outlets must come at a price to the business letting the property.

People dispise these chain stores - at least non-chav people anyway. Considering our local retail park is full of the type that either caused the credit crisis and haven't been perturbed or those that think the crisis occured in another country. Chock to the gills with X5, RR sports, MINI and a walking advert for Next (I think Next clothes are absolute sh1te quality)

Why not ditch the large shops, take on small shops in town - even the old woolworths shops. Get employees that at least look like they give a **** and don't make them sales dependent so they stiff old ladies into 60" 3D plasmas. It would make so much more sense to complete redesign the brand and the ethos. Build a snag proof delivery service - even offer a discount if ordered online BUT in store on store provided PCs so at least you got them in through the front door.

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Would you like the govt to bail out the retail sector a little more?
The government should put pressure on local councils to make more effort with town centres and stop favouring these out of town hell holes. Our high streets are full of card shops, charity shops and Greggs.

Only thing that will truly save town centre economy is to remove business rates to new start ups for 2/3 years. If they can't cope with the rates after then they were never going to work anyway. Our rates our £3,500 and thats cheap even for a west wales market town. Over 2 years £7,000 would make such a difference to investment in bringing the business on a pace. You know the rate is coming in so you can work into the figures - it's just that initial relief for 24 months would make such a difference.

Yes it's easier to go online and yes it's cheaper but if you knew you would get a better level of service and you only had to pop into town rather than trek to some soulless retail park people might actually bother with the high street again.

Last edited by EddScott; 27 June 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 27 June 2011, 04:15 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol moben are shyte anyway I imagine Dolphin Bathrooms and their Bedroom outfit wont be far behind ! muppet company good riddance

Habitat was always over priced tat for wannabees.

Sad for the economy but that's about it
Old 28 June 2011, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I get the impression that our economy is in a far worse state than we have been led to believe!

Les
Old 28 June 2011, 12:38 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
I just don't get why these large chains insist on going to out of town retail parks - I assume wheels are greased in the first place to get the things built (most people agree they are bad for town centres) BUT these large retail outlets must come at a price to the business letting the property.
Extortionate business rates in the town centres coupled with extortionate parking prices .
Old 28 June 2011, 12:47 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Thorntons closing 180 shops - just announced.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:15 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-13941670
Old 28 June 2011, 01:58 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Thorntons closing 180 shops - just announced.
Suicide amongst fatties is bound to go up now
Old 28 June 2011, 02:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by foxarm
Extortionate business rates in the town centres coupled with extortionate parking prices .
i believe Bedford town council has made parking free inthe city centre - for two hours, to promote trade etc
Old 28 June 2011, 02:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That just leaves the extortionate business rates
Old 28 June 2011, 02:37 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
The government should put pressure on local councils to make more effort with town centres and stop favouring these out of town hell holes. Our high streets are full of card shops, charity shops and Greggs.
Difficult when town centre have limited capacity and would limit commercial viability for certain businesses. You would not be able to open a Tesco Extra in a town centre for example or an Ikea, there isn't the space nor road capcity to deal with increased traffic.

Also councils often get "sweeteners" for these large out of town shops, investment and funds for local amenities, new parks, libraries and bringing in custom/business from other surrounding areas, redevelopment of disused land generating revenue for the council, etc.
Old 28 June 2011, 03:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Difficult when town centre have limited capacity and would limit commercial viability for certain businesses. You would not be able to open a Tesco Extra in a town centre for example or an Ikea, there isn't the space nor road capcity to deal with increased traffic.

Also councils often get "sweeteners" for these large out of town shops, investment and funds for local amenities, new parks, libraries and bringing in custom/business from other surrounding areas, redevelopment of disused land generating revenue for the council, etc.
I accept the first points although Tesco do have their "Metro" shops for town centres. DIY stores and the like would also find it hard in town centres. I was more focusing on chains that are clearly struggling or suffering from online competition - Currys, New Look etc. New Look have seen a big drop in sales yet in our local town they are the next shop to ditch the centre for the retail park - same with our local Boots.

Councils may well get sweetners but at what long term cost? They are allowing the town centre to fail in favour of those horrible Wannabe Worlds.

I'm sure if Currys halved it's floor plan, reduced it's costs, made an effort to not employ retards and developed a flawless delivery service they would bouncing around on the verge of administration. Most go to Currys to view the item first hand then go buy cheaper online. Obviously they can't fit as much into a little store but good informed sales persons should be able to guide customers through brochures or online examples. Then have an online booking system where customers can purchase the item online in store with a little discount - or at least price match.

I have a vested interest in town centres as my wife has a hair salon in town. Luckily, folk go into town specifically for their hair and it's not something that can be done online It does mean "walk ins" are lower.

Local council is a bunch of corrupt w*nkers anyway. Millions of pounds spent on plush offices and the local schools are falling apart. W*nkers!.
Old 28 June 2011, 03:10 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i believe Bedford town council has made parking free inthe city centre - for two hours, to promote trade etc
That's like sprinkling sugar on a giant fetid turd and expecting people to eat it and say yumyum.
Old 28 June 2011, 03:19 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
That's like sprinkling sugar on a giant fetid turd and expecting people to eat it and say yumyum.
ReallyReallyGoodMeat likes this
Old 28 June 2011, 04:16 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
ReallyReallyGoodMeat likes this
This aint Facebook you know
Old 28 June 2011, 06:28 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I get the impression that our economy is in a far worse state than we have been led to believe!

Les
+1
Old 28 June 2011, 07:33 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I think NEXT clothes are good value and quality My little boy's clothes are pretty much all NEXT as they wash and wash
Old 28 June 2011, 07:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yeah high rents for retail space in my town but tons of empty units. Make no sense at all!
Old 28 June 2011, 08:07 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

T J Hughes on the rocks now.
Old 28 June 2011, 08:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

lets be honest. people are not buying luxuries like they used to as they are getting an **** raping by tax... And the fact you can go to tesco get almost anything and double points...
Old 28 June 2011, 08:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Yes I would agree with that, but the real question is why are we still not being told the truth?
Old 28 June 2011, 09:34 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

If HMV goes to the wall, which looks likely in the near future, there wont be a music store on the high street!

I remember when my local shopping mall (Merry Hill) had Our Price, Music Junction, HMV and Virgin all under one roof! How times change.
Old 28 June 2011, 10:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

we have the internet why would we want shops......
Old 28 June 2011, 10:19 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You need shops to have a look and feel of the product before going to buy it on the internet.

Quick Reply: Retail sector - still sinking fast