Opinions of cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2011, 08:50 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions of cyclists

Has made me think.

I am all for everyone being safe on our roads and obviously cyclists are vulnerable.

It's a subject I'm particularly emotive about as my brother cycles to work everyday into the city (of London).

However, I am more and more frustrated at the attitude of cyclists and their seeming opinion that they own the roads. Or feel they have special rights.

It happens regularly but just today I was trying to overtake a cyclist and he kept weaving out into the road as he obviously felt it was not right for me to overtake him. Then he veers onto the pavement and cycles over a pedestrian bridge

I'm sure half the problem is double standards and the police like attitude cyclists have.

Why do cyclists appear to have one rule that they insist on following and others that it is perfectly acceptable for them to ignore?

Chop

P's- think it important to stress this is a far wider issue than someone driving with a can of Stella which is obviously wrong.
Old 22 June 2011, 09:00 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Might as well start a thread on "people who drives blue cars", or "people who own more than 2 pairs of jeans", or "people over 25 with at least one older sibling". The sociological group you'd be discussing would be just as random and varied in make up.
Old 22 June 2011, 09:06 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

cyclists new hobby bobbies hate them with a vengeance
Old 22 June 2011, 09:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed that cyclists consider themselves a breed apart .... at what point in history did the Cyclist go from being a hard up carless halfwit to a lycra wearing Superhero?
Old 22 June 2011, 09:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Might as well start a thread on "people who drives blue cars", or "people who own more than 2 pairs of jeans", or "people over 25 with at least one older sibling". The sociological group you'd be discussing would be just as random and varied in make up.
Well said

If everyone realised this, it could save another needless 8 page thread, however.... I doubt it
Old 22 June 2011, 10:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I always take care when cyclists around having been one many years ago I know what the perils are, however that said som eof them these days are becomming little hitlers thinking they own the road, but I suppose it is something to do with the lack of respect from some drivers.
Old 22 June 2011, 10:12 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If some of the half blind feckwits in cars noticed the state of the roads, they wouldn't have to wonder why "we" are weaving about...

dunx

P.S. Back in the STI once the 2.1 stroker is built...
Old 22 June 2011, 10:30 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

What about the muppets who ride side by side.......they think it's funny as foooook holding everyone up

My missis actually goes to the other side of the road to go past them........me, I try and get my wing mirror as close as I physically can
Old 22 June 2011, 10:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

: sleep:

Rather a vague thread title to encourage any meaningful response.

An obvious reaction to a recent thread started by a moderator.

Would it not have been possible for you to comment on that thread,or would that not have allowed you opportunity to gather some support ?
Old 22 June 2011, 10:57 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
: sleep:

Rather a vague thread title to encourage any meaningful response.

An obvious reaction to a recent thread started by a moderator.

Would it not have been possible for you to comment on that thread,or would that not have allowed you opportunity to gather some support ?
Exactly
Old 22 June 2011, 11:11 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

I used to catch the bus to work in Manchester each day (the extremely busy Wilmslow/Oxford Road route).

Despite the fact there are purpose built bike lanes running most of the way into town (off the road, separated from even the pavement) there is always a constant supply of bicyclists roughing it out between the bus lane and tying to muscle their way through the rush hour traffic

The times they would punch the bus windows screaming and shouting, swearing at the bus driver for not giving them the right of way was unbelievable, although it always made plenty of people on the bus laugh

I could never understand it, still cant!
Why risk it at all, especially when there is a lane TOTALLY assigned for bikes
Old 22 June 2011, 11:23 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donny andi
What about the muppets who ride side by side.......they think it's funny as foooook holding everyone up

My missis actually goes to the other side of the road to go past them........me, I try and get my wing mirror as close as I physically can
my wife if encouraged will spray them with coke by accident of course as we drive past by opening a can outside the window , this also works extreemly well with tailgaters , windscreen goes all sticky
Old 22 June 2011, 11:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
I have noticed that cyclists consider themselves a breed apart .... at what point in history did the Cyclist go from being a hard up carless halfwit to a lycra wearing Superhero?
About 1957
Old 22 June 2011, 11:27 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yawn. Another thread slagging of cyclists.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:38 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

A dangerous and stupid response to a minor frustration. Try thinking how much **** you'd be in if you actually hit one.

J.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:48 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
Has made me think.

I am all for everyone being safe on our roads and obviously cyclists are vulnerable.

It's a subject I'm particularly emotive about as my brother cycles to work everyday into the city (of London).

However, I am more and more frustrated at the attitude of cyclists and their seeming opinion that they own the roads. Or feel they have special rights.

It happens regularly but just today I was trying to overtake a cyclist and he kept weaving out into the road as he obviously felt it was not right for me to overtake him. Then he veers onto the pavement and cycles over a pedestrian bridge

I'm sure half the problem is double standards and the police like attitude cyclists have.

Why do cyclists appear to have one rule that they insist on following and others that it is perfectly acceptable for them to ignore?

Chop

P's- think it important to stress this is a far wider issue than someone driving with a can of Stella which is obviously wrong.
Proper road bikes with skinny tyres don't like even minor pot holes, so cyclists move about to avoid them if possible. Actually, scratch that, most cyclists on whatever bike will avoid pot holes if possible. This can lead to misunderstandings and ill feelings.... On both sides if a car driver then blasts the horn.

Part of the problem with pedestrian facilities is often, they're marked for dual use. Yes, some cyclists will take the **** but not every cyclist on the pavement is breaking the law. Unfortunately, it's the exceptions that stick in the mind and form the basis of opinions!

J.
Old 23 June 2011, 06:25 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As said the roads are sh1te so the guy was just trying to avoid pot holes.

I think that cyclist awareness should be part of the driving test and every one that drives a car should be made to ride a bike through traffic for a few miles at rush hour.

Equally cyclists should be made to use cycle lanes where they exist, no matter how bad they are deemed to be by said cyclist, it's got to be safer than the road, this dual purpose argument does not hold water, i'd rather have a pedestrian hit me than a bus.

The cyclist should have some kind of training as well as a pre requirement before being allowed to commute using a cycle, as many don't appear to have a clue about the highway code and think they are able to do as they please, and are indestructable and have right of way in every situation especialy when filtering some times at 20mph.

Lets face it most drivers are blind and useless at the best of times, so why anyone on a bike would think they are visable to someone on the school run with a couple of screaming kids in the car is beyond me.

Not all cyclists are like this just as not all scooby drivers are beer swilling *******, but unfortunatly it's the bad ones that catch peoples attention and form the basis of these opinions.

But some of the comments such as opening cans of coke at passing cyclists are plain stupid, i bet you sit behind horses on country lanes honking the horn too.

Lets hope nothing ever comes of it.
Old 23 June 2011, 08:26 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I guess I better drop in a few facts

cycling side by side is legal (two abreast anyway) you may not like it, but they are not breaking the law. However, when I'm out cycling with mates we always pull in when people want to get past (there's legal and then there's considerate)

You might want to brush up on the Highway code rules 162 & 163 - to do with overtaking. Take a look at the photo and see how much room you are meant to give when passing vulnerable road users. Tell me again about 'buzzing' someone who inconveniences you?

Cycle paths are not compulsory, nor should they ever be. Bikes are perfectly safe on the roads. The guidelines for the paths are clear: if you are expecting to exceed 18mph you should use the road - I exceed this speed all the time, it ain't that hard. Also, pedestrians have right of way on the shared lanes and bikes MUST slow for them; and finally the continual stop / start you get when you get to junctions on the cycle path are just plain stupid when there is a perfectly fine road you are entitled to use right there.

Before we get the usual uninformed bigoted drivel about 'road tax' a few points:

There's no such thing
It was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill to stop people associating its payment with a right to use the road
There's no such thing
VED is emissions based - bikes are zero emission so wouldn't pay VED anyway
There's no such thing
Low emissions vehicles do not pay VED so does it mean they should not be on the road? Or you get preference over them?
There's no such thing
VED is a single (or dual payment) anyway. So by owning a car (which I do) I've paid my VED so how I choose to use the roads afterwards is my business
There's no such thing

The bottom line is clear: there are arseholes in this world. Whatever the means of transport: an arsehole is still an arsehole. The vast majority of people are just trying to get to wherever they need to be, and courtesy to other road users goes a huge way to making the whole experience pleasant.
Old 23 June 2011, 08:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madscoob
my wife if encouraged will spray them with coke by accident of course as we drive past by opening a can outside the window , this also works extreemly well with tailgaters , windscreen goes all sticky
Tell you what .... make that a can of Stella next time - really rub it in
Old 23 June 2011, 08:59 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I don't have an issue with cyclists. I think everyone should calm down when on the road, you'll enjoy driving more

Just to note, I've lived and driven in Oxford so I've seen how bad it can get. The bus/cyclist war can be quite entertaining.
Old 23 June 2011, 09:13 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've started cycling again and feel awkward, like I'm in the way all the time ..

Saying that I can only manage about 15mph on a flat road on my "bike" ..
Old 23 June 2011, 10:05 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Most cyclists around here are sensible and use the roads safely.

When I do see some bloke come belting out of a side turning without looking so I have to stand on the brakes and then weave along the road to stop anyone overtaking him and also pass cars moving slowly in the traffic and chop across in front of them and cycling on the footpath when it suits him, then I think I cannot be blamed for finding that irritating to say the very least!

I think the police just don't want all the extra paperwork if they see that sort of thing.

Les
Old 23 June 2011, 10:29 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I bet you don't actually do this.
Old 23 June 2011, 10:37 AM
555)
Scooby Regular

cyclists = fine

cyclists + cameras = nerds

Old 23 June 2011, 10:41 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 555)
cyclists = fine

cyclists + cameras = nerds

Yep - I agree, I am one such cyclist

I am also in charge of IT at my company and love gadgets - ergo a nerd
Old 23 June 2011, 04:33 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I guess I better drop in a few facts

cycling side by side is legal (two abreast anyway) you may not like it, but they are not breaking the law. However, when I'm out cycling with mates we always pull in when people want to get past (there's legal and then there's considerate)

You might want to brush up on the Highway code rules 162 & 163 - to do with overtaking. Take a look at the photo and see how much room you are meant to give when passing vulnerable road users. Tell me again about 'buzzing' someone who inconveniences you?

Cycle paths are not compulsory, nor should they ever be. Bikes are perfectly safe on the roads. The guidelines for the paths are clear: if you are expecting to exceed 18mph you should use the road - I exceed this speed all the time, it ain't that hard. Also, pedestrians have right of way on the shared lanes and bikes MUST slow for them; and finally the continual stop / start you get when you get to junctions on the cycle path are just plain stupid when there is a perfectly fine road you are entitled to use right there.

Before we get the usual uninformed bigoted drivel about 'road tax' a few points:

There's no such thing
It was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill to stop people associating its payment with a right to use the road
There's no such thing
VED is emissions based - bikes are zero emission so wouldn't pay VED anyway
There's no such thing
Low emissions vehicles do not pay VED so does it mean they should not be on the road? Or you get preference over them?
There's no such thing
VED is a single (or dual payment) anyway. So by owning a car (which I do) I've paid my VED so how I choose to use the roads afterwards is my business
There's no such thing

The bottom line is clear: there are arseholes in this world. Whatever the means of transport: an arsehole is still an arsehole. The vast majority of people are just trying to get to wherever they need to be, and courtesy to other road users goes a huge way to making the whole experience pleasant.
You must e very trusting to ride side by side, i would never trust my @rse to some eastern european driving 44 tonnes. You must have a death wish.
Old 23 June 2011, 05:09 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I bet you don't actually do this.
Ok daftboy , you follow me around then do you

As for right or wrong.......my sleep pattern won't be affected
Foookin site is getting worse than the mlr

I'll sit back and wait for your response....with a 12k post count I'm sure it will play on your mind and you will have to post some ****e remark

Andi
Old 23 June 2011, 05:17 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Kieran_Burns;10103180]I guess I better drop in a few facts

You might want to brush up on the Highway code rules 162 & 163 - to do with overtaking.

Strangely enough I don't need a lesson on the highway code
As for riding side by side.......crack on , the DECENT thing to do is keep close to each other..........not 3 foot away thinking you own the road and get light amusement from it
I don't know you....I don't know how you ride ya bike .......tbh I really don't give a ****

People want to act a **** I'll return the favour as I go by

Now put whatever reply you want I'll leave it at that now
Old 23 June 2011, 05:18 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I have a bike, am I a cyclist?
I remember somebody years ago making the mistake of assumption.
He drove past my missus and I stood by the side of the road, with his mate using a water pistol at us.
We got him back though, with a bottle of sticky strawberry drink deposited in his lap when I caught him at a set of lights when leaning out the window of my Range Rover. He assumed we were "pedestrians" when he squirted water at us. Silly sod.
Old 23 June 2011, 06:50 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

As for right or wrong.......my sleep pattern won't be affected
Foookin site is getting worse than the mlr
I doubt I'll lose sleep either.

With cretins like you posting, I'd have to agree.

Quick Reply: Opinions of cyclists