Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Diesel tuning chips

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2011, 04:37 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel tuning chips

Anybody fitted one of these, are they any good and what make/manufacturer did you use?

Reading about them they are simple to fit, give improved performance and fuel economy. Thinking about fitting one to my work van.
Old 17 June 2011, 04:54 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Get a re-map done. Much better and mapped to the car and not generic
Old 17 June 2011, 05:01 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

I thought that a remap would cost more and these are a simple plug and play installation.
Old 17 June 2011, 05:01 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cheap chips are very crude and risk reliability, Suoerchips have come a long way and their Bluefin systems are excellent. I had my Fabia (VW) remap'd by Jabbasport to go from 130 to 180bhp, and 228 to 312 lb/ft (420Nm). Economy is down a little, but the surge in gear is close to my old Scooby. Clocked with timing gear doing 30-70 in 6s it actually outruns many Scoobs in that sense. It's been run like that for nearly 3 years with no trouble, apart from the usual VW crap of little things failing constantly (not engine related). If the warranty needs protecting then a switchable set up would suit better, but none are foolproof as the update time stamp will always reveal when the map was last modified, and in the event of a significant warranty claim they will check. My mate blew his engine and turbo on track in his Leon and there was no way they were going to fix it at £4.5k for both replacing. He eventually got them to meet half way.
Old 17 June 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by corradoboy
the update time stamp will always reveal when the map was last modified.
Good calibrators can rewrite that no problem.
Old 17 June 2011, 06:31 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Speak to Dave on 07740 825838...he'll be able to advise you on options for your vehicle and he's in Uxbridge so not too far away...

Alan...
Old 17 June 2011, 06:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I run one on my diesel Astra, and have several friends who also run DTUK tuning boxes. They are relatively crude, but they are reliable. Initial costs are lower than a remap, and of course you can sell them on when you sell on the car.

For myself, I just sold one Astra and transferred my chip to the new one. Considering I bought my eco box for £150 second hand and it has now been used on two different vehicles I would say they are well worth it.

Performance increase is noticeable, about 25%, and fuel economy increased from 55mpg on the motorway to 65mpg.

You need to do some model specific research to see which is best for you, but I can certainly say they work for me
Old 17 June 2011, 07:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember one simple fact - you cannot use the improved performance AND gain in economy!!

Some Mappers try to convince people that they have re-written the Laws of Science, Physics, and the Universe!!
Old 17 June 2011, 07:26 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

So the dealers can tell that it has been mapped then fairly easily? I've got a 2ltr tdci focus that i'd like to remap but it's under a year old and a bit cautious about screwing up my warranty. Do the tuning boxes flag up as well if removed before taking the car in? Guessing they can but would like to know for sure
Old 17 June 2011, 08:37 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Tuning box is untraceable on my car. All you do is take it off before it goes into the dealers.
Old 18 June 2011, 08:15 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

DYUK boxes are very good, I've had about a 25% increase in torque and power using them.

Originally Posted by Luminous

Performance increase is noticeable, about 25%, and fuel economy increased from 55mpg on the motorway to 65mpg.
The economy was around the same, or less if using the extra power. Don't believe the economy given by the in-car computer.

Originally Posted by pslewis
Remember one simple fact - you cannot use the improved performance AND gain in economy!!
Correct
Old 18 June 2011, 08:55 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

If you get a re-map look out for group buys did mine this way save some £££
Old 18 June 2011, 06:07 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Some Mappers try to convince people that they have re-written the Laws of Science, Physics, and the Universe!!
Yes you can but not at the same time/moment/instant. Most peoples' driving A-B is mostly brain drain stuff caught in traffic or negotiating urban bolox. The odd 30 second-5 minute blast isn't going to outweigh the gains made during the longer "drudge" periods.

I've heard, even a humble Honda can be improved...
Old 18 June 2011, 06:28 PM
steve nic
Scooby Regular

we use tunit stuff at work,most aplications are plus and play with a attenuator for performance/economy and can be removed for servicing for stuff under warrenty!!
Old 18 June 2011, 11:03 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Don't believe the economy given by the in-car computer.
Why not? It seems to be correct, when it says I can do xxx miles, that is roughly how far the car will go. So if its reading more after tuning, and going that far, well then that is an improvement.
Old 20 June 2011, 01:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Does it mean that you create clouds of black smoke when you boot it?

Les
Old 20 June 2011, 02:02 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Does it mean that you create clouds of black smoke when you boot it?

Les
YES!! The higher you have the chip turned up the more smoke the car makes. It is noticeably faster on full throttle, but it does smoke more....unless you have a DPF.
Old 21 June 2011, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

YES!! The higher you have the chip turned up the more smoke the car makes. It is noticeably faster on full throttle, but it does smoke more....unless you have a DPF.
Thats interesting,I asked because I saw a diesel car accelerate away the other day and with a lot more smoke than you would expect.

I imagine of course that more fuel is being pushed into the engine to get the extra power.

Les
Old 21 June 2011, 05:53 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

We remap alot of Diesels, done 2 today and the results are great. We get alot of cars that are used for towing to get a little more pull.
Old 21 June 2011, 10:22 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Why not? It seems to be correct, when it says I can do xxx miles, that is roughly how far the car will go. So if its reading more after tuning, and going that far, well then that is an improvement.
Sorry, I was refering more to the MPG it indicates as I believe the tuning box increases fuel pressure and hence the fuel injected and used.

Originally Posted by hutton_d
It may not be accurate, though my Passat is only a couple of mpg out according to brim to brim figures, but it will be consistent. Therefore it'll be fine to compare before and after figures, as relative, for a remap.

Dave
I measured the accuracy of my computers mpg estimation both before and after the tuning box was fitted (full tank, xxx miles and a refilled the tank) and before it was within 5% afterwards it was nearly 20% out. It was consistant though!
Old 22 June 2011, 03:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Sorry, I was refering more to the MPG it indicates as I believe the tuning box increases fuel pressure and hence the fuel injected and used.

I measured the accuracy of my computers mpg estimation both before and after the tuning box was fitted (full tank, xxx miles and a refilled the tank) and before it was within 5% afterwards it was nearly 20% out. It was consistant though!
Not so much fuel pressure as the length of time the injector for each cylinder is allowed to stay open while squirting fuel into the engine.

Les
Old 22 June 2011, 09:05 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

[quote=gpssti4;10101338]Sorry, I was refering more to the MPG it indicates as I believe the tuning box increases fuel pressure and hence the fuel injected and used.

Aha!!! Now that does make sense as my instant mpg does not equal overall mpg. That always seems to be lower than it should be, and then my overall average is higher...

Cheers for clearing that up
Old 22 June 2011, 10:10 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

used a DTUK box on my 09 plate Insignia back when it was new , Blew the Injector Housing within 20 Mins

Hasten to say i sent it back and got a refund.

Before that i had Angel tuning map my AUDI those guys and Celtic tuning i think are good lads. Never missed a beat
Old 23 June 2011, 12:19 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

For £89.99 I got a CKSpeed Tuning Box for my Wife's Vectra and went down to Scooby Clinic where we set it up. We got to the point of black smoke and turned it back a little and from memory the car went from 156 to 190 something bhp with the mods it had and the tuning box. Probablyl the best £89.99 I spent.
Vauxhall Vectra CDTi 150.
Since then I have done further work and the car has been mapped and is probably now faster than a petrol VXR but I am not finished yet as we are in the process of building another 1.9 CDTi engine with some more choice mods including head work.
The existing 17/49 turbo has been converted to take a BMW 56 front cover but that has been machined to take a 60 diameter wheel.
Hand made exhaust system, Hybrid front mount intercooler on a rearranged cooling setup and is not visible from the outside. Air charge temperature and boost are but a few of the modifications. The car now needs remapping as it was last mapped with a 17/49/56 turbo at RS Tuning where it gave 220 bhp / 380 ft.lbs on rollers that grossly underread compared to others.

For £89.99 you can't beat the CKSpeed box but whereas the trip recorder was typically reading 45-55 mpg before the box was fitted it was then reading 55-70 mpg with the box on. Do not be misled. This is not a fuel consumption improvement just that the ECU has been tricked in to thinking that. I think the box operates by increasing rail pressure and the MPG calculator probably counts the pulses per second which would not alter but each pulse would be passing more fuel.
Old 23 June 2011, 02:06 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Harvey, are you comfortable that something like this is still operating within safe limits? Thinking about doing the family wagon but unsure if it will affect reliability or not.

Cheers

J
Old 24 June 2011, 04:51 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Harvey, are you comfortable that something like this is still operating within safe limits? Thinking about doing the family wagon but unsure if it will affect reliability or not.

Cheers

J
I have another of these engines on the engine stand and it has a seriously ported head so should develop even more power or similar power more easily all controlled by the right foot.
If I were to put this bacl on the Scooby Clinic rollers I think the figure will be well the other side of 250 bhp. That is the figure I expected at RS Tuning but apparently their rollers are known to read lower than most but from my use of these I know they are consistent.
When my wife drives the car (her car) it will never get full throttle and possibly does not exceed 3,500 rpm so it has a relevantly stress frr life until I get in where from time to time it gets WOT and 5K rpm. As I drive it occassionally and I do not drive like that often/normally I am not unduely concerned.

I have enjoyed what I have done here and learned a lot about small high speed deisle tuning which is very different to petrol tuning. A voyage of discovery.
This car will easily keep up with an STi WRX on an open road because of the shed load of torque and well chosen ratios. I make no claims about corners other than with what I have done it is not bad and I have only done it for a bit of fun and broadening my experience.

When the car is eventually mapped I will also get figures from SC so we have a comparison, start to finish.
Old 25 June 2011, 07:16 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks - pretty sure I'd enjoy the improved performance but don't want to grenade the family wagon either It would get driven the same way in our household too.
Old 25 June 2011, 10:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

We stock DPTs. They are approved for fitment to Mercs in the Netherlands by main dealers (along with Kia and Hyundai)! Their tech back-up is very good; whilst it is a generic plug and play unit, they are each pre calibrated to each make/model car. And the most important thing is they are tested.

For example the Jaguar/Land Rover TDV8s can have the Torque/BHP upped by quite a large amont, but testing reveals the gearboxes cannot withstand the torque increase, so power has to be restricted. The guy who manufacturers these (Wim Essing) is pretty hands on with what he does and his main concern is to maintain reliability. Nice bloke too. I wonder if all the other tuners be it plug and play boxes or remaps take the same heavy regard and caution?

In addition the UK distributor does have insurance for any instances where it is proven that such a unit has caused an engine failure, which is nice to know. However in most cases an engine problem that has occured after fitting these units has actually been found to be due to some other underlying engine fault that has manifested. A dodgy injector being a good example. As these units raise fuel pressure (but still within Bosch/Denso's tolerance), the chance of a weak injector failing ends up sooner rather than later, but the fact is, it is it would have failed anyway.

The only thing that is a bit negative is the UK distrubutor has tried to market it to fleet buyers. As such promotes it to boost MPG. And whilst it does indeed help, and can also be calibrated to give even more economy (but maintaining OE power/torque, or increaseing it at certain engine speeds). I personally think its better suited to being calibrated soley to boost power as the VFM/saving per mile is not that much unless you do lots of long commuting and prepared to drive the car for at least 50,000miles before the unit pays for itself in fuel savings. Although, it depends on the engine/driver/conditions, so some get more gains than others. And the units can easily be reprogrammed and transferred between vehicles, so long as it has the same type of fueling system as the previous one (common rail, PD, VP etc).

I've got one on our Altea 140ps and it goes quite well It pulls a bit better off boost (which like most diesels is dire if the revs drop too low) and appears to spool up a bit smoother. The torque in 4th gear is where its most noticed; turbo spins up at and it pulls relentlessly hard from below 30mph up to 80mph without changing gear. I've not timed it, but its very handy for overtakes. Plus its averaging a 2-3mpg improvement too.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 June 2011 at 02:01 PM.