Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBC News this morning re Car Keys?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2011, 07:42 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBC News this morning re Car Keys?

Did anyone else watch the news this morning?

They did a piece highlighting that modern cars are almost impossible to steal without the keys.

"Insurance companies are urging home / car owners to keep their keys out of sight and somewhere safe"

Screw that.

If someone breaks into my house with the intention to take my car - have it!

It's not worth My Wifes my baby's or my life.

Money & metal after all.
Old 16 June 2011, 07:51 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Agreed! Thats what insurance is for
Old 16 June 2011, 08:10 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

+1 short of leaving the key in it, they can take it...it aint worth getting mashed up over.
Old 16 June 2011, 08:14 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

or just park it at BHX NCP....oh wrong thread...

I would also just give them the keys or at least tell them where it was at a distance as far as I could away from them.
Old 17 June 2011, 12:47 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Our local BBC station was on about this as well. They had a former car thief on who said that 20 years ago he could steal a car in about 2 minutes.

It's probably less than that now. If they can see your keys from outside, it takes about 20 seconds to break in via most house doors in the UK
Old 17 June 2011, 01:11 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I was under the impression that insurance companies would not pay out on a stolen car if it was stolen using the keys due to potential negligence on your part by making it easier for the thief to steal by leaving the keys where he could easily get them. But I could be wrong.
Old 17 June 2011, 01:18 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Agreed! Thats what insurance is for
IME of claiming for total losses you always end up a grand down on the deal, plus the lost excess and future premium increases. If someone tried to nick a £1000 out of your pocket would you just wave it goodbye, not worth fighting over
Old 17 June 2011, 01:18 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Great isn't it we are now faced with having to accept thieves breaking into our homes (often when we are there) and demanding the keys with threats of violence. The thieves know that most people will have to hand over the keys without any resistance to protect themselves and their families.

We have been told before that if you leave anything valuable on view in your car and it gets broken into, its your fault. I suppose now the police will say that its our fault for having a nice car parked outside our own house.
Old 17 June 2011, 01:30 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Did anyone else watch the news this morning?

They did a piece highlighting that modern cars are almost impossible to steal without the keys.

"Insurance companies are urging home / car owners to keep their keys out of sight and somewhere safe"

Screw that.

If someone breaks into my house with the intention to take my car - have it!

It's not worth My Wifes my baby's or my life.

Money & metal after all.
Thats not quite what they meant though.
They moreso were trying to say, don't leave your keys in full view from outside the property
Old 17 June 2011, 01:34 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with some of you!!!
I would never let someone walk out of my house without a fight on principle
Breaking into my house is a green card to waive any rights IMO if I can and am able I would stick a sharp object throughout their fckin windpipe.
Where did this roll over and take it attitude come on men my grandad didn't die in ww2 so the future generations can carry on like this
Old 17 June 2011, 01:35 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

Flamesuit on and buttoned
Old 17 June 2011, 01:38 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by steviefastbikes
Breaking into my house is a green card to waive any rights IMO if I can and am able I would stick a sharp object throughout their fckin windpipe.
Where did this roll over and take it attitude come on men my grandad didn't die in ww2 so the future generations can carry on like this
Not convinced to many people broke into your grandads house and threatened to shoot or stab him if he didn't hand over his car keys!

I am also not convinced the police arrested you for defending yourself back in your grandads day, not to mention the thief suing you and winning damages if he got hurt whilst robbing you.
Old 17 June 2011, 01:42 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

keyboard warrior
Old 17 June 2011, 01:46 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

Nobody would have been stupid enough to try that with my grandad
Its this mentality that is allowing scumbags to do what they do
And I have experienced a person trying to take my bike off me in a public car park
Let's just say my crashed was damaged and I kept the bike. Lol
Old 17 June 2011, 01:55 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

Meant crasher not crashed sorry
Helmet
In grandees day the police would probably doled out a bit of instant justice too
Old 17 June 2011, 01:57 PM
Panda82
Scooby Newbie

well put fella, obviously you have the weight up the risk if you dont stand a chance and you know its all gonna end in tears then **** it its only a lump of metal.
but if i fancy my chances and see an oppotunity the **** is gonna hit the fan big style and like they say a mans house is his castle come **** with my castle i'll **** with your face
Old 17 June 2011, 02:04 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I was under the impression that insurance companies would not pay out on a stolen car if it was stolen using the keys due to potential negligence on your part by making it easier for the thief to steal by leaving the keys where he could easily get them. But I could be wrong.
No. Keys stolen from our kitchen (house burgled through locked doors, out of sight etc.) 3.5 years ago. Cars recovered quickly and insurance pay out for change of locks, recovery etc.

Steve
Old 17 June 2011, 02:09 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

Cheers fella

Blkknight. What happens after he has your car keys and then thinks. Mmm I fancy a play with that woman there. Are you gonna let him touch her. Where does it all end and when do you decide to stand up to them

Now I don't know you and am not trying to wind you up just trying to put into perspective.
Laws are only ok when they are abided by
People who flaunt it and hide behind it are becoming more and more common. You have to fight fire with fire sometimes.
Old 17 June 2011, 02:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If anyone broke into my house, he is on the wrong side of the law and not entitled to protection especially if he threatens us with violence.

I think a hard thump with my crutch to start off the proceedings and any sign of persistence would make the next blow that much harder.

I would be happy to argue my side in court.

Les
Old 17 June 2011, 02:17 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If anyone broke into my house, he is on the wrong side of the law and not entitled to protection especially if he threatens us with violence.

I think a hard thump with my crutch to start off the proceedings and any sign of persistence would make the next blow that much harder.

I would be happy to argue my side in court.

Les
Trouble is its very rarely one person breaking in nowadays, your far more likely to be woken up by two or three thugs demanding the keys. Not very good odds in my opinion
Old 17 June 2011, 02:20 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

It amazes me how everyone thinks they are so hard on here, with the attitude I would tw@t the ****** if he came near me !! You are all assuming that this 10 stone weakling is going to break in whilst you are all wide awake and waiting for them. Now I have never been burgled but am pretty sure no sane burglar is going to break in if there is a chance someone in the house is still awake, armed with a baseball bat and waiting for them. I assume they will break in when you are asleep. Then they have a number of advantages over you. 1 being they are awake, hyped up and standing while you are waking out of your slumber, groggy, lying down, defenceless and wondering WTF is this person doing pummeling my head with a pistol butt, sticking a knife in my face or theatening my wife/kid with a baseball bat/hammer (add other nasty weapon).

Last edited by Wurzel; 17 June 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 17 June 2011, 02:38 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

I thought the BBC report should have put the emphasis on not making it too easy for thieves (i.e. fishing through the letterbox), beyond that a car can be replaced but family members can't!

Unfortunately I have personal experience of this situation. A gang of 4 kicked down my front door at 1:30am, one of them ran upstairs and met myself and the wife on the landing, unfortunately he was thrusting a knife at us so I wasn't arguing much. Anyway they took the keys from the lounge and went, leaving the wallet and the £1000 laptop completely alone, it really was a case of stealing a Turbo 2000 wagon to order.

They didn't actually get the car in the end due to the immobiliser kicking in again and running out of time, however if they had I would have expected the insurance to pay out because I did nothing wrong.

Steve
Old 17 June 2011, 02:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

It amazes me how everyone thinks they are so hard on her with the attitude I would tw@t the fckuker if he came near me !! You are all assuming that this 10 stone weakling is going to break in whilst you are all wide awake and waiting for them. Now I have never been burgled but am pretty sure no sane burglar is going to break in if there is a chance someone in the house is still awake, armed with a baseball bat and waiting for them. I assume they will break in when you are asleep. Then they have a number of advantages over you. 1 being they are awake, hyped up and standing whiel you are waking out fo your slumber, groggy. lying down, defenceless and wondering WTF is this person doing pummeling my head with a pistol butt, sticking a knife in my face or theatening my wife/kid with a baseball bat/hammer (add other nasty weapon).
spot on, The reality is you wake up dazed and confused to find 2-3+ blokes with knives and bats shouting and screaming at you for your car keys - not many people would be able to do anything in that situation, add you partner/wife and kids into the equation and they have all the leverage they need.

Keys best left downstairs out of sight of the door...
Old 17 June 2011, 02:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

(add other nasty weapon).
Ok. How about a water pistol, orange in a scarf, plastic fork or even a frikking wooden spoon?

Jokes apart, most crimes are committed when the victim is less capable to defend himself/herself. They exploit your vulnerability. I was burgled once, when the ex-files and I were fast asleep upstairs. The barstwards sneaked in via our kitchen window and stole our mobile phones. Then, they were cheeky enough to ring my landline through my mobile phone, which woke me up. I tried to wake the ex-files but he was in a coma-like sleep as usual. I came running downstairs, and witnessed a strange sight with our stuff messed about, lights on and front door open ajar. I went back up, shook Mr. ex-Turbohot like mad, then he finally decided to get out of bed to come down. Over his inspection for 2 minutes, he declared that we were burgled , and I needed to call the cops. Say, if thieves had come in and threatened us when we were watching telly, it would have terrorised me, but knowing myself, I would have given the ****** a damn good hiding. Then again, I would have surrendered if they were stronger than me, or had they possessed something dangerous on them. I honestly love my life too much to lose in the hands of some thieving scums. I'd rather give them my possessions and tell them to **** off. I don't think its cowardly. Its sensible IMO. I am not a fecking superhero or something to kick everyone's @rse in real life. Online ninja-ing is another matter.
Old 17 June 2011, 03:00 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

Threatening is the key word there
Yes you would wake up dazed and confused which is what the shouting and waving kit about is for
Aggravated theft is a few years inside
Murder is life
Do you think they will go the full distance if met with resistance
A minority may but most would bail
Old 17 June 2011, 03:01 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Ok. How about a water pistol, orange in a scarf, plastic fork or even a frikking wooden spoon?
Or a visciously sharp slice of mango
Old 17 June 2011, 03:02 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Threatening is the key word there
Yes you would wake up dazed and confused which is what the shouting and waving kit about is for
Aggravated theft is a few years inside
Murder is life
Do you think they will go the full distance if met with resistance
A minority may but most would bail
You are either an 18 stone ninja or a typical Scoobynet keyboard warrior!

Which is it?
Old 17 June 2011, 03:09 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

12 stone dripping wet
Only type with one finger
Been kicked stupid loads
Won a few
But never backed down
Probably for all the wrong reasons
But I have heart.
You decide
Old 17 June 2011, 03:12 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

12 stone dripping wet
Only type with one finger
Been kicked stupid loads
Won a few
But never backed down
Probably for all the wrong reasons
But I have heart.
You decide
Fair enough.
Old 17 June 2011, 03:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a trial here in Carlisle at the moment, some bloke defended himself from 3 armed intruders who had knives and screwdrivers.

He protected himself with an axe, 2 ran off and one was left behind who suffered some axe related retribution.......so he's in court as plod thgought he went to far in defending himself.

Shaun

Quick Reply: BBC News this morning re Car Keys?