Panorama - Care Home Abuse

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2011, 12:57 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panorama - Care Home Abuse

Did anyone see this tonight?

Absolutely awful - constant assaults and bullying of adults in care who were unable to defend themselves. Truly disgusting behaviour - I felt physically sick watching it.

It is incredible that some people have such a lack of compassion - and a system that does not root them out in spite of whistle blowers to the parent company and the regulator!
Old 01 June 2011, 01:00 AM
busby330
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Did anyone see this tonight?

Absolutely awful - constant assaults and bullying of adults in care who were unable to defend themselves. Truly disgusting behaviour - I felt physically sick watching it.

It is incredible that some people have such a lack of compassion - and a system that does not root them out in spite of whistle blowers to the parent company and the regulator!
i saw this to mate, made me feel exactly the same. totally disgusting.
Old 01 June 2011, 07:13 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above totally.
Old 01 June 2011, 07:52 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

What really boils my pi$$ is the UK is donating hundreds of millions of pounds each year to places like Pakistan and other places and old people who have paid their way in taxes over the space of their working lifes are having to live like peasants.
Old 01 June 2011, 08:43 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I missed the programme but saw a bit of it on todays news - that was enough for me.

Unbelievably sad and cruel, to see those two parents sitting watching what their daughter was going through and not being able to do anything about it...

But what do we always hear after these incidents - 'lessons will be learnt'...only, it happens again, and again.
Old 01 June 2011, 09:07 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
What really boils my pi$$ is the UK is donating hundreds of millions of pounds each year to places like Pakistan and other places and old people who have paid their way in taxes over the space of their working lifes are having to live like peasants.
Don't get me started on this one
Glad I missed the programme, I would have cried
Old 01 June 2011, 09:11 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13548222

Shaun
Old 01 June 2011, 09:42 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Absolutely shocking. The fact that many of the 'carers' actually seemed to enjoy bullying the residents made me feel sick. Yes, of course, many of the residents had challenging behavioural issues but if you can't hack it, stay away.
And that martial arts expert wannabe, Wayne, should be shot in my opinion.
Old 01 June 2011, 09:52 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Sadly I'm not shocked or surprised. Any institution is full of this abuse. You take low paid people, those who have little power in the 'real world' throw in defenseless people and this is what you get. Even those who perhaps went in to the job with a sense of duty and care get drawn into the pack mentality.

It has always been like this, from old peoples homes to children homes years ago and any kind of psychiatric unit.

The big question of course is what do you do? How much money do you throw at people who will be institutionalised all of their life?

Sad and shameful to watch.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

That's pretty irrelevant really. And there is an irony that many of the more caring nurses working in these sort of places come from these developing countries (stolen from their own health services).

Yes it was awful but I am sure this was just a tip of a pretty dirty iceberg.

This company were charging around £3000 per week (£150k per annum) for patient care. Makes you think. Say it took 3 full time carers at £20k per year (I bet they get less than that) per patient which is £60k per annum. And that leaves a lot for food, premises, general overheads and PROFIT.

dl
Old 01 June 2011, 12:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Lock
That's pretty irrelevant really. And there is an irony that many of the more caring nurses working in these sort of places come from these developing countries (stolen from their own health services).

Yes it was awful but I am sure this was just a tip of a pretty dirty iceberg.

This company were charging around £3000 per week (£150k per annum) for patient care. Makes you think. Say it took 3 full time carers at £20k per year (I bet they get less than that) per patient which is £60k per annum. And that leaves a lot for food, premises, general overheads and PROFIT.

dl
Agree, the company involved turns over 90 million, suspect that there are some very nice houses, cars and lifestyles paid for off the back of this and our tax money, £3500 a week I read and they cant even look after them, disgusting and I bet its not an isolated case.

As a country there seems to be a trend to towards bullying and victimization of the vulnerable, go and get ona push bike and ride through a town centre, you will see that some take every opportunity to use their limited power to bully others just because they can and it makes them feel better, I can imagine working with difficult people with Autism can be frustrating and it wouldnt be for me but these compaines need to pay decent wages to professionals not whoever will take the minimum wage and focus ont he care rather than just the profit.
Old 01 June 2011, 12:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Unbelievably sad and cruel, to see those two parents sitting watching what their daughter was going through and not being able to do anything about it...
Apart from maybe looking after their own daughter instead of sticking her in a home. The mother looked like she'd been eating her daughters share of the food too.
Old 01 June 2011, 01:19 PM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

Alwful to watch!! Had a tear in my eye :-(

Ruthless the way they showered the girl in cold water and put her outside in March then brought her in and put a fan on her!
That guy is such a coward needs to be beat!

Why didnt the panorama guy put a stop to it before the 5 weeks?
Old 01 June 2011, 02:18 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

This wasn't anything to do with old people, did you watch it? It was young people with learning disabilities, many the mental age of small children.

This was the equivalent on some occasions of torturing a 3 year old.

If anyone knows any of the people featured in it, all i can say is it would be highly illegal for anyone to feel the need to give them a taste of their own medicine and therefore should definately not happen should the opportunity arise.

Also, the CQC, a huge public sector, cash sucking quango says they "missed an opportunity" no they didn't, a nurse reported it three times, they inspected on three other occasions so they missed six chances.

The chap in charge of that is probably on a 100k+ and should resign in shame.

EDIT for Helen - the reason it had to be filmed is because if he'd done a day they could claim "isolated incident" you need to gather enough evidence to prove it is an ongoing, endemic thing. I feel for the guy having to stand and watch, especially when he said about that Simone, looking at him because he was the only one not doing anything to her.

5t.

Last edited by fivetide; 01 June 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01 June 2011, 03:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with you Trout.

Trouble is, giving cash to taking care of the elderly in this country does not help the politicians to keep their feet under the world leaders' table.

Les
Old 01 June 2011, 03:45 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I agree with you Trout.

Trouble is, giving cash to taking care of the elderly in this country does not help the politicians to keep their feet under the world leaders' table.

Les
Still not the elderly - still about learning disabled youngsters (mainly) in this case.

5t.
Old 01 June 2011, 03:51 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
This wasn't anything to do with old people, did you watch it?

5t.
Nope I didn't I thought it was to do with old age homes, but I stand by my comment regarding old people.
Old 01 June 2011, 05:07 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Apart from maybe looking after their own daughter instead of sticking her in a home. The mother looked like she'd been eating her daughters share of the food too.
Good point, but there must come a time when even the most loving and caring parents realise their child needs 'professional' help and nurturing.

Slightly different, but I remember when my mother could no longer look after my Gran with dementia and had to look for outside help, i.e a care home.
Old 01 June 2011, 06:00 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my oldest has autism as some of you may know remember (his new bike) he is 15 in body but about 8in mind , what those people did is probably the worst crime as the children dont understand properly what is happening to them, as long as i have breath in my body my daniel will never go in a care home of any kind , but all said and done there is very little help in the comunity unless your child has it real bad and is unable to do even the most basic things (toilet etc) apart from a small amount of money to help with school trips and youth club from social services we have had no help at all in 15years . i consider myself lucky to have dan as he is able to express some love and affection unlike most autistic children , thats only because we have spent all our years with him teaching him when and when not to laugh . silly thing i know but when he was younger he would show no compassion when someone hurt themselves , and how to show love and affection which is most rewarding from a autistic child as most cannot comprehend it or show it, as for punnishment for the offenders 20minutes in a locked room with me and my mate billy the bat would suit me just fine ,
Old 01 June 2011, 06:01 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Nope I didn't I thought it was to do with old age homes, but I stand by my comment regarding old people.
Fair play. Comment is right but i think this was in many ways worse. People don't believe them because they have learnign issues. Someone old might at least be able to make a phone call and complain to someone, these people couldn't.

sti - If you watched the daughter was forcibly taken into care. They didn't put her in a home. However, it was clear they were both ancient which probably accounted for the issues and I also thought the best thing they could do would be to get on a diet and get her back at home.

Clearly missed her parents and they obviously visited, sent gifts etc so they weren't uncaring, just not capable for whatever reasons.

5t.
Old 01 June 2011, 06:18 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To honest I think wayne will end up with a serious kicking or worse.

Good program though really (if good is a word you can use here), this stuff needs to be exposed.
Old 01 June 2011, 09:42 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Sadly I'm not shocked or surprised. Any institution is full of this abuse. You take low paid people, those who have little power in the 'real world' throw in defenseless people and this is what you get. Even those who perhaps went in to the job with a sense of duty and care get drawn into the pack mentality.

It has always been like this, from old peoples homes to children homes years ago and any kind of psychiatric unit.

The big question of course is what do you do? How much money do you throw at people who will be institutionalised all of their life?

Sad and shameful to watch.
Although low pay (or no pay) usually follows, the intellect of the abusers is the real issue. Not the first time I've said it on here but dimwits are directly or indirectly responsible for the majority of society's problems.
As for the money, towards the end of the show it was said it costs around £3500/week to keep each person in this kind of care. Seems way over the odds to me, but for a grand a week each person could be rented a property and have a personal carer. Just shows how much waste there is in the system (and how companies like Castlebeck must be rakeing it in, but only because the healthcare system we have sanctions it).
Old 01 June 2011, 10:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The adults in the care of these companies are just commodities....it's all about money, and they obviously pay **** poor wages to the Carers and so attract the worst.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Absolutely shocking. The fact that many of the 'carers' actually seemed to enjoy bullying the residents made me feel sick. Yes, of course, many of the residents had challenging behavioural issues but if you can't hack it, stay away.
And that martial arts expert wannabe, Wayne, should be shot in my opinion.
Reminds me of Abu Gharib scandal. You have poorly paid, poorly motivated, not too bright 'trash' with not enough supervision....in that environment it brings out the worst in them.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:52 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
This wasn't anything to do with old people, did you watch it? It was young people with learning disabilities, many the mental age of small children.

This was the equivalent on some occasions of torturing a 3 year old.

If anyone knows any of the people featured in it, all i can say is it would be highly illegal for anyone to feel the need to give them a taste of their own medicine and therefore should definately not happen should the opportunity arise.

Also, the CQC, a huge public sector, cash sucking quango says they "missed an opportunity" no they didn't, a nurse reported it three times, they inspected on three other occasions so they missed six chances.

The chap in charge of that is probably on a 100k+ and should resign in shame.

EDIT for Helen - the reason it had to be filmed is because if he'd done a day they could claim "isolated incident" you need to gather enough evidence to prove it is an ongoing, endemic thing. I feel for the guy having to stand and watch, especially when he said about that Simone, looking at him because he was the only one not doing anything to her.

5t.
Agree with Trout, absolutely shameful. I accept it cannot be an easy job to care for some of these people (and I am not being disrespectful to the residents here) but these abusers have to be amongst the most cowardly I have witnessed.

5t makes a good point about the CQC, the guy they had on there (presumably CEO, didn't catch his title) was a complete **** jockey just spouting out the usual textbook (mis)management double-talk and evading the important questions. People like him, in this kind of situation, really make my **** boil.
Old 02 June 2011, 09:12 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i sooooo hope karma comes around for the tw@t with the tattoos (wayne). the lad with the red hair made me have a lump in my throat when with his brother and mum at the end, i looked over at the missus and she was bawling her eyes out. very sad to realise what these ****** are doing to what essentially are children in adults bodies.
Old 02 June 2011, 09:40 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sadly inevitable when you have the vulnerable, being looked after by the poorly educated and powerless social underclass

A toxic mix - poverty, lack of education, doing it on the cheap = a recipe for disaster

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 02 June 2011 at 09:42 PM.