Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Genius!

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2011, 09:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genius!

Whoever invented baby monitors deserves a knighthood. Not had any monies to buy some so had Isaac with us downstairs every night after his last feed till we go to bed. But popped to Toys'r'us today armed with a voucher and bought some Tomy monitors for under 30 quid

**** easy to set up and all gadgets like nightlight, different sensory buttons etc - brilliant. Can now have some time to ourselves in an evening safe in the knowledge baby Isaac is spark out upstairs but safe. Hell, I may even get the odd sexual encounter again now
C_o_b signing out
Old 21 May 2011, 09:40 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got that p*ssed one weekend,my missus had to use them for me
Old 21 May 2011, 09:43 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Hell, I may even get the odd sexual encounter again now

odd ones are the best ones
Old 21 May 2011, 09:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s

beat you with it ?

We got the video ones as a present and it looks like a coffin .. its horrible ..
Old 21 May 2011, 09:47 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s

You retard Neil
Old 21 May 2011, 09:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
beat you with it ?

We got the video ones as a present and it looks like a coffin .. its horrible ..

Saw them but for like nearly £200 no thanks!
Old 21 May 2011, 09:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Even at £200 still not Mccann proof...
Old 21 May 2011, 10:48 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^^ thats low
Old 22 May 2011, 07:44 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Bane of our life, we had them and ditched them, chirping and bleeping every 5 seconds, and the other half twitching with every cough, sniffle, moan etc.

get shot and use the free version, if they holler loud enough to wake you, then there's a problem

Just wait, 12 months down the line, you'll see just how much is / was unnecessary

And please dont fall for the follow on milk stuff..

A friend of ours went down that route.... said it was near on impossible to get the sproglet off it and on to normal stuff.

ours went formula day 365. cows milk 366...no probs

Mart
Old 22 May 2011, 07:51 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Have you had the BIB propganda yet? I p*ssed the midwife off in the ante natal classes when they started the BIB spiel ...

She spouted some drivel men could get that special bond by changing nappies...wtf... I asked her how does wiping poo off a babys backside help you bond .. and she couldnt answer lol

I told her that if you went formula both parents could share the feeding, and both get some quality time with the baby, whilst letting the other half get some much needed rest...

They were not impressed lol

We bottle fed both of ours, (we did in fairness try BIB, but neither child would play ball so to speak)

Mart
Old 22 May 2011, 08:52 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

We went to friends last night and our lass picked their little en up and an alarm sounded, It was a breathing alarm the baby was laid on
Old 22 May 2011, 08:53 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Bane of our life, we had them and ditched them, chirping and bleeping every 5 seconds, and the other half twitching with every cough, sniffle, moan etc.

get shot and use the free version, if they holler loud enough to wake you, then there's a problem

Just wait, 12 months down the line, you'll see just how much is / was unnecessary

A friend of ours went down that route.... said it was near on impossible to get the sproglet off it and on to normal stuff.

Mart
Re-read my post mert... The monitors are only for the bit of time we are downstairs on a night when Isaac is asleep upstairs. Having an old house with proper walls means you can't hear them asleep so for us they are a god send. And I didn't even go anywhere near the BIB debate, proper tangent there Mart

Ps, cows milk for us after the formula We know the hype on follow on is **** and addictive stuff.
Old 22 May 2011, 09:00 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Re-read my post mert... The monitors are only for the bit of time we are downstairs on a night when Isaac is asleep upstairs. Having an old house with proper walls means you can't hear them asleep so for us they are a god send. And I didn't even go anywhere near the BIB debate, proper tangent there Mart

Ps, cows milk for us after the formula We know the hype on follow on is **** and addictive stuff.
We had an old house too.... ...hence if they holler loud enough its an issue ... if they dont they get on with it

how are the sleepless nights

Mart
Old 22 May 2011, 09:13 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

We had an old house too.... ...hence if they holler loud enough its an issue ... if they dont they get on with it

how are the sleepless nights

Mart
He's sleeping through from about 9-5/6am now so not really an issue. Couple tough nights when he had his first lot of injections last week and not looking forwards to teething but for now it's good.
Old 22 May 2011, 10:21 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

He's sleeping through from about 9-5/6am now so not really an issue. Couple tough nights when he had his first lot of injections last week and not looking forwards to teething but for now it's good.
Thats good, 3am feeds were a killer lol

Mart
Old 22 May 2011, 11:08 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thats good, 3am feeds were a killer lol

Mart
I'd prefer 3am feeds as opposed to 5am feeds

Least with 3am you can get back off to sleep, 5am feeds when you're up at 6.15 is an ****, especially if your mrs is like mine ie clattering everything about making **** loads of noise
Old 22 May 2011, 11:48 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

We managed to get a set from Tescos for £40! Not sure how, the same ones were £130 in Toys R Us! Great piece of kit!
Old 22 May 2011, 11:50 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
We managed to get a set from Tescos for £40! Not sure how, the same ones were £130 in Toys R Us! Great piece of kit!

Damn, you seem to have stolen my 'bargain finding' skills
Old 22 May 2011, 01:05 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I hope they have improved since my kids were born. Son is now 20.
We used to pick up on next door having loads of rows. They made more racket than when my Son started to yell for a feed.
They must have had the same monitors as us.
Old 22 May 2011, 05:11 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I've told this story before on here but think it's quite relevant....

Now, 8 weeks after our first baby was born we went away for a week in a cabin type thing on a holiday park with my wifes parents.(although we weren't married at the time, i was only 21).

The inlaws offered to babysit so we could go out for a meal and a bit of a drink. So off we went....

On our way home rather p1ssed I tried to get the mrs into the woods for some "outdoor action" but there were some ducks in the way which scared her. An argument broke out and we stormed back to the cabin and went straight into our bedroom where the argument continued....

Unaware that our baby monitor was on and the inlaws could hear everything in the front room I proceeded to tell her how i wanted to bang her in the woods and she shouldn't be scared off some 'effing ducks!!....... Next thing the mother-in-law knocks on the door and says "i've switched the monitor off so you can talk now"

It's got to be the most cringeworthy moment of my life!!

Beware the baby monitor!!
Old 22 May 2011, 06:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mart
This is advice worth taking.
Neither of ours had the use of monitors, they both went up after their last feed and we just kept the downstairs door open and listened up.

If you get into the habit of running to him for every noise, remember what I said about rods and backs?
Old 22 May 2011, 06:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
This is advice worth taking.
Neither of ours had the use of monitors, they both went up after their last feed and we just kept the downstairs door open and listened up.

If you get into the habit of running to him for every noise, remember what I said about rods and backs?
Yep totally understand. We bought the monitors precisely for that, so we're not up and down the stairs every 5 minutes Jeff. Baby monitors have been proven to reduce the risk of cot death, which currently is my biggest fear. Everyone has their methods of parenthood and I think we are being sensible (without being obsessive) with the monitors for the reasons above
Old 23 May 2011, 08:46 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Have you had the BIB propganda yet? I p*ssed the midwife off in the ante natal classes when they started the BIB spiel ...

She spouted some drivel men could get that special bond by changing nappies...wtf... I asked her how does wiping poo off a babys backside help you bond .. and she couldnt answer lol

I told her that if you went formula both parents could share the feeding, and both get some quality time with the baby, whilst letting the other half get some much needed rest...

They were not impressed lol

We bottle fed both of ours, (we did in fairness try BIB, but neither child would play ball so to speak)

Mart
What's BIB

(Though it it involves changing nappies I'm not interested, that's wimmins work )
Old 23 May 2011, 09:06 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Breast Is Best.
Old 23 May 2011, 09:08 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
What's BIB

(Though it it involves changing nappies I'm not interested, that's wimmins work )
....is best
Old 23 May 2011, 10:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep totally understand. We bought the monitors precisely for that, so we're not up and down the stairs every 5 minutes Jeff. Baby monitors have been proven to reduce the risk of cot death, which currently is my biggest fear. Everyone has their methods of parenthood and I think we are being sensible (without being obsessive) with the monitors for the reasons above

Cot death? Isaac? He's more likely to run downstairs and smack one of you awake...........
Old 23 May 2011, 10:48 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Breast Is Best.
Obvious then Not awake today!

Don't see why Mark360 would consider it spiel though, there is much evidence to suggest that this is the case and that's how our little monster is being fed. Piling it on too, hardly lost any birth weight, at the second weigh in was nicely up and still sat on the 98th percentile IIRC. Got another weigh in this week, be good to know what he has gained, already 0-3month baby grows are a snug fit and he's only 4 weeks old!

Me and the missus were also discussing the whole convenience aspect of breast feeding too whilst sat on the picnic benches at the viewpoint over the Severn / Trimpley reservoir in the Wyre Forest when we were out for a walk on Saturday. It was so easy just to give him some booby while we were sat there. So much better that having to faff around with formula, having sterile bottles, flask of warm water to make it up, etc. Great that it is working well for him and us

As for male bonding with the baby, seems to be working out okay, but I accept the fact that he will always have a greater bond with the wife as she is the sole source of food / drink and I have to go to work all day while she spends it at home with him. Not going to resort to changing nappies to bond either!
Old 23 May 2011, 06:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Don't see why Mark360 would consider it spiel though, there is much evidence to suggest that this is the case and that's how our little monster is being fed. Piling it on too, hardly lost any birth weight, at the second weigh in was nicely up and still sat on the 98th percentile IIRC. Got another weigh in this week, be good to know what he has gained, already 0-3month baby grows are a snug fit and he's only 4 weeks old!

Me and the missus were also discussing the whole convenience aspect of breast feeding too whilst sat on the picnic benches at the viewpoint over the Severn / Trimpley reservoir in the Wyre Forest when we were out for a walk on Saturday. It was so easy just to give him some booby while we were sat there. So much better that having to faff around with formula, having sterile bottles, flask of warm water to make it up, etc. Great that it is working well for him and us

As for male bonding with the baby, seems to be working out okay, but I accept the fact that he will always have a greater bond with the wife as she is the sole source of food / drink and I have to go to work all day while she spends it at home with him. Not going to resort to changing nappies to bond either!
If Nat hadn't have been so ripped apart by Isaac I hazard she would naturally have tried to feed him with the booby. But even through pregnancy she was a 36b at biggest and a 10lb is gonna be hungry.

For the record, Isaac went into 3-6 month vests @ 6 weeks and was into 3-6 body/sleep suits @ 7 weeks Bit over 15lbs now and on 7oz feeds 5-6 times a day I'm stuck at work all day too but try make up for it when I'm home.

Nat said when he went for his last weigh in he was 98 percentile for height and 92 percentile for weight if that makes sense. Something about if you put 100 babies in a row he'd be number 98 and 91

Big bugger anywho, Alcazar will vouch for that
Old 23 May 2011, 07:53 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It makes you wonder what people did before all these gadgets parents seems to need for kids these days! I guess baby were dying left, right and centre before baby monitors and night lights were invented.

**** knows how tribal Africans manage with no electricity, baby monitors, drugs or even midwives.
Old 23 May 2011, 08:34 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Don't see why Mark360 would consider it spiel though
Its Mart lol

And it is pushed like propoganda lol, It was trotted out every opportunity they could, along with terry nappys ffs.

When questioned as to what people could do if you couldn't breast feed, it was like you were a sodding heretic.

Mention the F word (formula), and they were running for the pamphlets on BIB.

I don't dispute BIB, but when you've had a baby screaming for 48hrs, and trying to feed every 15 minutes, because they cant get enough milk, and the only advice from the midwife was to keep going "" you'll get there in the end"" was frankly bonkers!

When at this stage we suggested formula, it was as if we'd suggested baby slavery lol.....the comment was...""If you do that you'll never be able to breastfeed", just the sort of support a new mum needs....

Then it was a brief capitulation, but the BIB argument must be best..

"Perhaps just one bottle, last thing at night, but you must keep trying to breastfeed ".....

Hello!!!! This is a baby that's been screaming for food for 48hrs, and there suggesting one bottle of formula, last thing at night, as if the last 48hrs never happened.....

Suffice to say 4oz of formula later and 4 hrs of sleeping baby breast never got a look in

I used to love the last bottle at night, with him tucked into my chest as he drained every last drop, the contented burp and falling asleep in my arms

Mart

Quick Reply: Genius!