Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Our cycling friend on the BBC

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2011, 08:01 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our cycling friend on the BBC

Pretty sure this article contains footage from our cycling friend from previous video's on here.

CLICKY

So though i'd share it!
Old 20 May 2011, 08:04 AM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had trucks do that, scary as F****!!!!!!!
Old 20 May 2011, 08:27 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The lorry going on to the roundabout at 20 seconds? Yeah... the driver wasn't prosecuted due to lack of evidence....
Old 20 May 2011, 08:28 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I had just a cab nearly run me down at a roundabout when I was on it and he should have given way. He stopped eventually, just before I would have been pizza..... Scares the **** out of you!
Old 20 May 2011, 11:27 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

looks like bent mikey has another fan, looks like he nearly got a good kicking from the van driver.

Good, the little tw@ needs a good kicking!
Old 20 May 2011, 11:45 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

That woman at the end, what a spacker?! 'you might be looking at the screen then a pedestrian might run out....' Well maybe that pedestrian should take some responsibility for walking under a chuffing great truck?!

Is there no one involved with all this safety bollox that can see that there might be some accidents that can't be pinned to drivers?
Old 20 May 2011, 12:27 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what a spacker
Been a while since i heard that particular phrase
Old 20 May 2011, 12:30 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by BOB.T
That woman at the end, what a spacker?! 'you might be looking at the screen then a pedestrian might run out....' Well maybe that pedestrian should take some responsibility for walking under a chuffing great truck?!

Is there no one involved with all this safety bollox that can see that there might be some accidents that can't be pinned to drivers?
+1

Remember when the cycle lobby tried to push through legislation forcing car drivers to automatically pay compenstion if they're involved in an collision with a cyclist
Old 20 May 2011, 01:24 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
The lorry going on to the roundabout at 20 seconds? Yeah... the driver wasn't prosecuted due to lack of evidence....
That is an extreme example of bad driving, but in no way linked to the article. Drivers proceeding onto roundabouts without spotting cyclists can be in trucks cars or buses. The new technology would not have helped in that situation.

Other than showing that cyclists are vulnerable road users I don't understand why that clip was included

When I took my driving test I was taught to look left and right at crossroads even if I was on the major road, you can then anticipate and perhaps avoid some incidents.

On approaching that roundabout the cyclist should have been a bit more defensive rather than speeding up in the hope of getting some good footage for Youtube.
Old 20 May 2011, 03:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose that under those circumstances the driver should be particuilarly vigilant in checking that a cyclist might be in the danger zone.

Les
Old 21 May 2011, 09:55 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the responsibility of the cyclist,it all appears to easy to blame the motorist/lorry driver everytime something like that happens.I think the cyclist is playing the innocent card too much now,many times have seen them squeeze down the inside even when a large vehicle has indicated and taken no notice.Motorcyclists on the whole i find are responsible riders,where is all the complaints/videos of scooters motorcyclists being cut up.yes you probably could find some,but it seems to be a regular thing now with cyclists kicking up a fuss,well maybe some not all should take some responsibility on the road.

And no i'm not anti cyclist....
Old 21 May 2011, 10:14 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

The rights of the road should be proportional to the amount of road tax you pay
Old 21 May 2011, 10:19 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
The rights of the road should be proportional to the amount of road tax you pay
(kick)

Old 21 May 2011, 10:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As a petrolhead: I still think order of priorty should be given according to the size/weight of the vehicle and its vuneralbility. Converse to popular opinion, the most vunerable road users (the pedestrian and cyclist etc) should have the least priority. Not equal or greater, as assumed today.

i.e HGVs take priority to cars, which take priority to motorbikes, which take priority to bicycles which take priority to pedestrians.

This being in any instance where there is not a give way or specifically posted right of way i.e when under/overtaking, or crossing their path in traffic. That way it puts the onus on the more vunerable road user to stay out of harm's way, unless they specifically have right of way.

The idea being, if you know that you have no or a lesser priority, you should take more care in what you are doing to ensure you are both seen and stay out the way of larger vehicles.

So if a truck is along side of you. Let it pass and stay out of its way. If you are a motorbike filtering...you have no priority to any car you may get tangled up with. If you are a pedestrian, you have no priority to anything unless at an allocated crossing point or footpath (except narrow country lanes, where aramageddon rules apply ).

Old 21 May 2011, 10:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T

Very well said, but I had this exact argument on Cycle Shat with some of their more enthusiastic posters a couple of years ago and their atttitude is basically that it is wrong to accept that even one cyclist should be in an accident on the road and that more and more measures should be introduced against those nasty car and truck drivers (road changes, driver education, speed limits, draconian penalties for minor offences, prosecutions etc, etc.) until their little Utopia is reached.

They seemed utterly unable to accept the fallibility of human beings and the fact that if you allow them to ride bicycles on the road some of them are going to make a mistake as are some car drivers.

It was one of the most enlightening conversations I have had on the Internet and somewhat akin to arguing politics with a militant extremist i.e. all logic was out of the window. Since then I go out of my way to give cyclists a VERY wide berth as frankly if one of them came over in person like they did on that thread it would not make for a very pleasant exchange LOL!
Old 21 May 2011, 10:46 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Very well said, but I had this exact argument on Cycle Shat with some of their more enthusiastic posters a couple of years ago and their atttitude is basically that it is wrong to accept that even one cyclist should be in an accident on the road and that more and more measures should be introduced against those nasty car and truck drivers (road changes, driver education, speed limits, draconian penalties for minor offences, prosecutions etc, etc.) until their little Utopia is reached.

They seemed utterly unable to accept the fallibility of human beings and the fact that if you allow them to ride bicycles on the road some of them are going to make a mistake as are some car drivers.

It was one of the most enlightening conversations I have had on the Internet and somewhat akin to arguing politics with a militant extremist i.e. all logic was out of the window. Since then I go out of my way to give cyclists a VERY wide berth as frankly if one of them came over in person like they did on that thread it would not make for a very pleasant exchange LOL!
I promise you, the foaming mouth brigade are in the minority. There are a couple of prize examples on the bike forum I frequent but they're not held in the highest regard.

Most of us are just people enjoying the roads and the scenery
Old 21 May 2011, 11:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
What about the responsibility of the cyclist,it all appears to easy to blame the motorist/lorry driver everytime something like that happens.I think the cyclist is playing the innocent card too much now,many times have seen them squeeze down the inside even when a large vehicle has indicated and taken no notice.Motorcyclists on the whole i find are responsible riders,where is all the complaints/videos of scooters motorcyclists being cut up.yes you probably could find some,but it seems to be a regular thing now with cyclists kicking up a fuss,well maybe some not all should take some responsibility on the road.

And no i'm not anti cyclist....
If the cyclist is guilty of that then you are right of course. But if a lorry overtakes a cyclist and turns left because the driver missed seeing the cyclist then who is at fault.

That happened to me exactly like that once and luckily I saw it coming and took to the path just in time. The wheel was just about to run over my pedal!

Les
Old 21 May 2011, 01:22 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If the cyclist is guilty of that then you are right of course. But if a lorry overtakes a cyclist and turns left because the driver missed seeing the cyclist then who is at fault.

That happened to me exactly like that once and luckily I saw it coming and took to the path just in time. The wheel was just about to run over my pedal!

Les
If a driver overtakes you and then cuts back in to close or makes a sudden dash to get in front of you,because they don't want to wait a mere 4 seconds or so behind you before they reach the turning then i would say they are to blame.But if you are a cyclist and you commute to work regular etc,then you should have some understanding that drivers of large vehicles will not always see you so be more cautious.What is a bit puzzling is why are motorbike/scooter riders not posting up videos on you tube etc making the same complaints,as i'm sure within the city roads they are having to negotiate traffic jams,the same junctions roundabouts etc and some of these scooters i could probably cycle faster than them.I have noticed that motorbike riders are more cautious specially around large vehicles,if they are complaining as much as cyclists then where are they..
Old 21 May 2011, 01:46 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I promise you, the foaming mouth brigade are in the minority. There are a couple of prize examples on the bike forum I frequent but they're not held in the highest regard.

Most of us are just people enjoying the roads and the scenery
+1 Kieran.

I always laugh when I hear fellow cyclists ranting at motorists with little justification!

Andy
Old 21 May 2011, 03:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by DYK
What is a bit puzzling is why are motorbike/scooter riders not posting up videos on you tube etc making the same complaints,as i'm sure within the city roads they are having to negotiate traffic jams,the same junctions roundabouts etc and some of these scooters i could probably cycle faster than them.I have noticed that motorbike riders are more cautious specially around large vehicles,if they are complaining as much as cyclists then where are they..
IMHO there is a large number of scooter/moped riders totally ignorant to whatever is around them.

Weaving, cutting in, then braking hard, forgetting they have 2ft of bike behind their **** and a 1.5 Ton car or HGV. Or generally just riding like idiots. And thats not just the kids either.

Admittedly its alot worse on the continent but their typical riding style is the same, I don't know if its something in the mindset of a moped rider to try and push to front and go for every gap possible regardless of risk in order to get to a destination. But it seems that way.

Fair weather bikers are just as bad. Filtering in crawling traffic at 20+mph and overtaking anything and everything....yeah I bet they are ready for for a car out of view to turn right infront of them. Then they can experience how fast they can fly over the bonnet of the car who did a SMIDSY!

Maybe its Darwinism? They just don't recognise the risks and life threatening situations that they are in?
Old 22 May 2011, 11:20 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

If you want to see stupid people on scooters, go to Monaco, fooking insane!
Old 22 May 2011, 11:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, thats Magnatom off Cyclechat.
Old 23 May 2011, 01:42 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I don't get is why cyclists don't prepare for situations like this, I'm a part time cyclist for fun and when I ride on the road I expect the unexpected just like a motorbike rider has to. These tools with camera's are giving cyclists a bad name because they waiting for a bad situation to happen and the milk it when it does!
Old 23 May 2011, 09:21 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

As J4CKO said on another thread, treat every other road user like they're trying to kill you and you might survive on the roads. Riding defensively is the key I find.
Old 23 May 2011, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
If a driver overtakes you and then cuts back in to close or makes a sudden dash to get in front of you,because they don't want to wait a mere 4 seconds or so behind you before they reach the turning then i would say they are to blame.But if you are a cyclist and you commute to work regular etc,then you should have some understanding that drivers of large vehicles will not always see you so be more cautious.What is a bit puzzling is why are motorbike/scooter riders not posting up videos on you tube etc making the same complaints,as i'm sure within the city roads they are having to negotiate traffic jams,the same junctions roundabouts etc and some of these scooters i could probably cycle faster than them.I have noticed that motorbike riders are more cautious specially around large vehicles,if they are complaining as much as cyclists then where are they..
I was 14 years old when that happened and was not exactly expecting such a thing to happen and was not in a position to avoid him doing that.

It was very lucky that I was agile enough to take to the footpath and avoid disaster.

I am a biker as well and you are quite right, we mostly are well aware of the dangers and our own vulnerability and do take extra care to stop a situation like that developing. I certainly ride defensively and am always on the lookout for the dangers of people trying to run me down because they have not seen me. I look well ahead and if I see the possibility of a problem arising I will take prior action to avoid it. Even so, you can still get a fright occasionally, even with the headlight on!

Les
Old 23 May 2011, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
IMHO there is a large number of scooter/moped riders totally ignorant to whatever is around them.

Weaving, cutting in, then braking hard, forgetting they have 2ft of bike behind their **** and a 1.5 Ton car or HGV. Or generally just riding like idiots. And thats not just the kids either.

Admittedly its alot worse on the continent but their typical riding style is the same, I don't know if its something in the mindset of a moped rider to try and push to front and go for every gap possible regardless of risk in order to get to a destination. But it seems that way.

Fair weather bikers are just as bad. Filtering in crawling traffic at 20+mph and overtaking anything and everything....yeah I bet they are ready for for a car out of view to turn right infront of them. Then they can experience how fast they can fly over the bonnet of the car who did a SMIDSY!

Maybe its Darwinism? They just don't recognise the risks and life threatening situations that they are in?
No reason at all why a biker shouldn't filter through traffic taking advantage of his narrow width as long as he is not cutting other traffic up. Most drivers accept that and often give a biker a bit of extra room to go by. No point in being jealous of the biker's advantage in that respect surely? Helps the traffic to keep flowing a bit better anyway if the biker gets clear.

Those of us who are still alive are always ready for a car turning right and will make allowances beforehand. It is also reasonable to expect a driver to be sure the way is clear before he turns right anyway.

Do you ride a bike incidentally?

Les