Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Random question about downloading music....

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2011, 05:05 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random question about downloading music....

Before i begin I'd just like to say i have always paid for my music, be it vinyl, CD, or MP3 (or WAV if im feeling flash )

Last night i was going through some of my old belters, mostly trance on promo vinyl only (couldn't find most of it on the internet, they just exist in vinyl form which makes them extra special) but the ones i could find online i was listening to.

Now my question is, until i have my new desk built and have my equipment set up (DJ/production gear) if i download some songs without paying for them, even if i own them on vinyl does this count as illegal downloading?

Once my equipment is set back up i will record it all to WAV on my computer and delete the mp3's, but until then i will use the MP3's i have downloaded.

Is this illegal?
Old 18 May 2011, 05:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Before i begin I'd just like to say i have always paid for my music, be it vinyl, CD, or MP3 (or WAV if im feeling flash )

Now my question is, until i have my new desk built and have my equipment set up (DJ/production gear) if i download some songs without paying for them, even if i own them on vinyl does this count as illegal downloading?

Once my equipment is set back up i will record it all to WAV on my computer and delete the mp3's, but until then i will use the MP3's i have downloaded.

Is this illegal?

yes technically this is illegal, but I can't really see the distinction between downloading then as MP3's and just ripping your Vinyl or CD's to MP3

the music industry are way behind the times imo
Old 18 May 2011, 09:01 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just d/l "Audacity" plug your deck into the pc and record to the HD if you want to take the legal route, albeit a longwinded route

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Old 18 May 2011, 09:20 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
yes technically this is illegal, but I can't really see the distinction between downloading then as MP3's and just ripping your Vinyl or CD's to MP3

the music industry are way behind the times imo
That's an understatement. Technically, even ripping CDs you own for the sole purposes of a backup is illegal in a lot of places. It really takes the p!sh.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
That's an understatement. Technically, even ripping CDs you own for the sole purposes of a backup is illegal in a lot of places. It really takes the p!sh.
agreed -- I sat in a dinner party a few years ago and admitted to the odd download (mostly of music I had tbh)

ooooh the looks of disdain I received, only to be told by most people around the table that they just tape friends records/CD's
Old 18 May 2011, 09:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Copying is about to change - check out the Hargreaves review:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13429217
Old 19 May 2011, 01:18 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
agreed -- I sat in a dinner party a few years ago and admitted to the odd download (mostly of music I had tbh)

ooooh the looks of disdain I received, only to be told by most people around the table that they just tape friends records/CD's
dont go to parties that are full of daily mail readers then, did they harp on about climate change and human rights too?