Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Towing a trailer - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2011, 01:06 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Towing a trailer - any tips?

A friend is setting up a mobile catering business and has bought a trailer. The trailer is about 350 miles away and needs collecting on Thursday. My friend has not passed his trailer test yet and I've offered to drive it back for him.

Now, I have towed a vehicle in the past but it was very heavy (supermarket scrubbing machine) and not as long as this trailer (16ft). We are off tonight to get the Shogun to pull the trailer.

Has anyone got any towing tips out there. Not knowing the vehicle I don't plan to do much more than 50-60 on the way home. My concern is that given the length and it's not particularly heavy it will be pulled around by the wind. Bit concerned we get a tank slapper on and end up on it's side in a ball of flames or something equally dramatic.
Old 17 May 2011, 02:02 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

take you're time and slow down if a lorry goes past you, opposite lock for reversing.

you will be fine.

Old 17 May 2011, 02:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't reverse. (needs practice)

Plan your braking well ahead (assuming its a braked trailer...do you know the brakes on it work ok? )...see a red light 300 yards ahead....may as well coast down to a stop.

And just take it easy.

Set your mirrors up so you can see the wheel arches of the trailer (as well as the adjacent lane). And beware of the extended blind spot behind your shoulders because of this (or use mirror extenders)

And don't forget to pull out of a junction dead straight before turning the wheel to avoid clipping curbs and nearby roadside furniture with the trailer.

Oh and don't wire the trailer plug 180degrees out of sequence (easily done, I once wasted an hour trying to fathom that one out, pulling all the tow electrics apart ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 May 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 17 May 2011, 02:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Apparently it all checks out and has brakes etc. My only big concern is snaking on the motorway - come off the gas and keep the wheel straight? Only going to do about 50 or so maybe a little bit more so not overtaken by artics all the time - which could cause more snaking.

Cheers guys
Old 17 May 2011, 02:55 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matching rear legal number plate sorted? Check trailer spare wheel and jack etc. dl
Old 17 May 2011, 03:09 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

As above, if you stop.....make sure you can drive out forwards.

I tow every week, and make a right hash of reversing out of places!
Old 17 May 2011, 03:20 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double or single axle? Double axle should be more stable.

If you start to snake yes, lift off and keep the wheel straight. Do not under any circumstances try and accelerate out of it or try and counter steer.

I regularly tow over a tonne and a half of box plus horse. Weight transference takes on a whole new meaning when the load is alive with a high COG lol.

Surprised at the reversing problems - its not that hard if you can understand whats going on.
Old 17 May 2011, 03:34 PM
Scooby Senior

Check speed limits for trailers, I'm sure it's 50 on a motorway. He can drive with a trailor so long as the total weight is less than 3.5 tonnes and the tow vehicle is capable of towing such weight.
Drive very slow around corners unless you want the trailer to overtake you and spin you around!
Old 17 May 2011, 04:05 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500
Check speed limits for trailers, I'm sure it's 50 on a motorway. He can drive with a trailor so long as the total weight is less than 3.5 tonnes !
Only if you passed your test before Jan 97. If not you will need to pass a test to be able to tow.

Chip
Old 17 May 2011, 04:42 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Check speed limits for trailers, I'm sure it's 50 on a motorway. He can drive with a trailor so long as the total weight is less than 3.5 tonnes and the tow vehicle is capable of towing such weight.
Drive very slow around corners unless you want the trailer to overtake you and spin you around!
60mph on motoways and dual carriageways
Old 17 May 2011, 04:58 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As said, when you get to the services, make sure your pointing the right direction to exit and ensure that you cannot be blocked in. If the Shogun has cruise control use it, it will take the pressure of you watching the dials. It will take quite some time to get there and back, make sure you have a break or two. I find Radio 1 helps keep me awake on long journeys along with some coffee

Anticipate the unexpected, your are bound to be cut up by numptys, over taken by some non EU Lorries doing well in excess of 70-80mph. Watch for cyclists whom think they can drive up the near side of you when you are indicating Left, and in the unlikely event have your documents in hand , ie receipt from the purchasing the trailer in case your pulled over by the plod. AND one last from me, If going to a service station, try and park the trailer rear upto a wall, fence, wall etc with you vehicle in front of it and hopefully lock the towing arm if equipped, as most towed vehicles are Stolen at service stations by proffesionals just waiting for people like you who are usually un-prepared..... but not you as you know what your doing..... ^^ all the above is also very usefull info.

HTH
Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 17 May 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 17 May 2011, 05:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

An important point to add when pulling up for a rest break;

Give the tyres a good kick to ensure they are still inflated and also place you hand on each wheel. They should a be a little warm. If one (or more) are burning hot, the brakes are sticking (or dry/seized wheel bearing).

Our old trailer used to do this as the draw bar was sticking.
Old 17 May 2011, 05:57 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Keep out of lane 3.
Old 17 May 2011, 06:41 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Keep out of lane 3.
and 2 don't want you slowing everyone down
Old 17 May 2011, 06:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Dont listen to the bollx the rest of them are spouting.

Hook up the trailer.

Write the numberplate on a bit of card, and stick it on the trailer, anywhere will do, its going to bnlow away anyway.

Dont worry about the speed limit, and do try to cut up and overtake anything that attempts to get past, you are 35 ft long BTW

if you do park anywhere, as long as you stick yer hazards on, you will be fine,

(hazards are the international get out of jail card for trailers)

Above all, try to get a mention on drive time or any radio two show, it will guarantee you an empty road to get back with

Mart
Old 17 May 2011, 07:01 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

LOL, very good. The only reason I'm going is because my mate passed in 2003 and hasn't done his trailer test.

We are picking up the Shogun he's bought tomorrow and off tomorrow evening to pick it up. The whole thing is on a shoe string and if we come back without a scratch I will honestly be stunned
Old 17 May 2011, 07:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
If you start to snake yes, lift off and keep the wheel straight. Do not under any circumstances try and accelerate out of it or try and counter steer.
I've heard the opposite.

Won't slowing down make the trailer whip around and jack-knife?
Old 17 May 2011, 08:07 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
We are picking up the Shogun he's bought tomorrow and off tomorrow evening to pick it up.
PSML, so your mate is buying a motor, and having not known much about this vehicle, you are going to travel 350miles to collect a trailer that you dont know much about mechanically wise.....

Old 17 May 2011, 09:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get down to your local caravan suppliers and buy a bulldog stabiliser, it's the best money your mate will spend the trailer wont budge.

When reversing the most important thing to do is get the back of the trailer pointing in the direction you want it to go in before you start as it makes reversing it soooooo much easier ie set it up while going forward if you know what i mean.

60mph on mway.

Use engine braking as over long distances trailer brakes can become hot.
Find out when it was last serviced and maybe service it yourself if it has not been done or left standing for a long time.
Its easy to do the bearings some have grease nipples.

Ask lots of questions as it could become very expensive if things go wrong.

Have fun.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 17 May 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:24 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

A friend is setting up a mobile catering business and has bought a trailer.
What is the trailer out of interest?

Burgers is it?
Old 17 May 2011, 10:05 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

LOL, very good. The only reason I'm going is because my mate passed in 2003 and hasn't done his trailer test.

We are picking up the Shogun he's bought tomorrow and off tomorrow evening to pick it up. The whole thing is on a shoe string and if we come back without a scratch I will honestly be stunned

This could get very interesting!!!!

Travelled to Portsmouth with a friend to pick up a yacht he bought which I towed to Stranraer to bring back on the ferry. To be honest I wish I had sailed the feckin thing back.

The trailer which was braked, hadn't moved in some time. It took some serious amount of effort to get it rolling and it generally didn;t sound too healthy. We stopped for fuel at one point, and leaving the petrol station, the mechanism that applies the brakes jammed. The trip back was a nightmare.
Old 17 May 2011, 10:26 PM
CSW_Scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Only if you passed your test before Jan 97. If not you will need to pass a test to be able to tow.

Chip
Not completely true. You can tow on a Cat B licence if you have passed your test after jan 97 as long as long as the weights meet the requirements on the attached link. Under certain circumstances this can be up to 4.25 tonnes MAM

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...es/DG_10013073
Old 18 May 2011, 08:33 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie
Not completely true. You can tow on a Cat B licence if you have passed your test after jan 97 as long as long as the weights meet the requirements on the attached link. Under certain circumstances this can be up to 4.25 tonnes MAM

I stand corrected

Chip
Old 18 May 2011, 08:37 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got my hgv class 2, can I tow a trailer on my licence? passed after 97.
Old 18 May 2011, 08:59 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie

If you read it through its says after 1997 you can tow a trailer upto 750kg, as long as the MAM does not exceed 3500 (if your car/van weighs 3000kg you cant tow more than 500kg) you cant tow a trailer weighing 1000kg if your car weighs 2500, unless you have a trailer license or passed before 97
Originally Posted by Jamo
ive got my hgv class 2, can I tow a trailer on my licence? passed after 97.
You should know the rules then lol, Worth mentioning the OP can sit passenger while his mate tows, as long as he has "L" plates on, and his license permits him to tow a trailer
Old 18 May 2011, 09:05 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

You should of quoted this link which refers to the licence holder and not the car catagory; http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...les/DG_4022521
Old 18 May 2011, 10:27 AM
CSW_Scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chaffe
If you read it through its says after 1997 you can tow a trailer upto 750kg, as long as the MAM does not exceed 3500 (if your car/van weighs 3000kg you cant tow more than 500kg) you cant tow a trailer weighing 1000kg if your car weighs 2500, unless you have a trailer license or passed before 97
If the trailer is less than 750kg the total weight can be 4.25 tonnes on a Class B only licence, so if your car weighs 3500 you can tow a trailer of 750kg giving 4.25 tonnes.

If your trailer is over 750kg it cannot exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle AND the combination in this case should not exceed 3.5 tonnes. If the trailer is over the unladen weight of the towing car you will need Class B+E.

Therefore; yes you can tow a 1000kg trailer on a class B licence as long as the unladen weight of the car is 1000kg or greater and the total weight of car + contents + Trailer + contents does not exceed 3.5 tonnes.
Old 18 May 2011, 10:34 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997
If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.
The way i read the above is that you cant
Old 18 May 2011, 10:37 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

maybe not, because raedingthat again it looks like you can tow a car and trailer combination upto 3500 as long as the trailer weighs less than the car? its not written very well!
Old 18 May 2011, 12:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
PSML, so your mate is buying a motor, and having not known much about this vehicle, you are going to travel 350miles to collect a trailer that you dont know much about mechanically wise.....
Um, well yes. Yes we are

The Shogun has been MOT'd and serviced today. Should be good to go. Dude selilng the trailer is traveling part way to reduce travel time - I would think that if theres anything particularly wrong with it it will show up before the hand over.

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
What is the trailer out of interest?

Burgers is it?
It's more "upmarket" from mere burgers and sausages using local produce (Tai Curry etc) There isn't many doing this for the more popular surfing beaches so it's got potential - assuming it gets back here in one piece.

Quick Reply: Towing a trailer - any tips?