Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

M.O.T Shocker

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2011, 09:15 PM
Blitzfighter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M.O.T Shocker

so today at work i had a Renault Scenic 2003 come in for an M.O.T.
so started dong the M.O.T test usual routine, lifted the car up and OMG i literally said F*KING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen a pair of disks in that condition, it was crumbling away. I showed this to the client and he thought it was only little wear and he tried to convince me that this is normal, i said that this was a 100% M.O.T failure and he was getting a strop, he was begging me to pass it as he needs it to pass so that he can re-new his road tax. i was just shacking my head and thought you fool!!! he was so desperate his last resort was bribery of £100 and that really pissed me off now, i couldn't hold it in no more, i said are you f*cking stupid i wouldnt even want a million pounds is that all you life is worth 100 poxy £ i don't want a guilty conscience or lose my M.O.T license, these disks can fail on you any time. some people have no shame. Abandon test which may harm or injure tester, equipment (roller brake test) or cause damage to the vehicle and 1 un-happy constomer
Old 30 April 2011, 09:22 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

If he had offered you £1,000,000 would you have passed it?
Old 30 April 2011, 09:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Look fine to me.

Plenty of miles left in those

dl
Old 30 April 2011, 09:25 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

couldn't be too much more than £100 to replace the discs anyway?!
Old 30 April 2011, 09:46 PM
Blitzfighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
If he had offered you £1,000,000 would you have passed it?
okay let me put it in a different scenario, i pass this car he drives down the road does an emergency stop disks fall apart hits you ect... everything will come back leading to me. some times safety is priceless

Last edited by Blitzfighter; 30 April 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 30 April 2011, 09:48 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by Blitzfighter
okay let me put it in a different scenario, i pass this car he drives down the road does an emergency stop disks fall apart hits you ect... everything will come back leading to me. some time safety is priceless
Ignore tony, he's retarded

The condition on them are shocking

Good on you for not giving in to the ****'s bribe mate
Old 30 April 2011, 09:50 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

okay let me put it in a different scenario, i pass this car he drives down the road does an emergency stop disks fall apart hits you ect... everything will come back leading to me. some times safety is priceless
+ 1

I's your neck in the chopping block mate, better safe than sorry TBH.

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2011, 10:10 PM
rogos
Scooby Regular

If i was tsesting that i would have issued a prohibition notice and made him trailer it to a place of repair. He obviously does'nt understand the importance of having his car serviced periodically, people like this are very dangerous for themselves and for others.
Old 30 April 2011, 10:12 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite simply ridiculous mate,Sounds like he needed a dry slap to liven him up about the dangers of brakes as bad as that!!
Old 30 April 2011, 10:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Pah, there tame considering what i took off the Saab. lol

And they had passed an mot!!!...

if i can get the piccys i will post

Mart
Old 30 April 2011, 11:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rogos
If i was tsesting that i would have issued a prohibition notice and made him trailer it to a place of repair. He obviously does'nt understand the importance of having his car serviced periodically, people like this are very dangerous for themselves and for others.
Exactly what I was thinking did you stop him driving away?
Old 30 April 2011, 11:22 PM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

Abandon test which may harm or injure tester, equipment (roller brake test) or cause damage to the vehicle and 1 un-happy constomer
You abandoned test for that??? Out of interest, How long have you been testing? And please explain how those discs could harm or injure yourself or damage equipment???
Old 30 April 2011, 11:47 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the driver of the car been braking on a 1.5cm area of disk for the last 2/3years....that's how it looks to me !!

Shaun
Old 30 April 2011, 11:54 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micaredwrx
And please explain how those discs could harm or injure yourself or damage equipment???
Sounds like he's quoting directly from guidelines. Which means any one of the three things he mentioned are justification for abandoning the test - in this case, damage to the vehicle is likely if the discs disintegrated under test.
Old 01 May 2011, 12:07 AM
busby330
Scooby Regular

tbh worst one i have seen, was actually my moms cousins daughter, brought the car into my unit for servicing, so fluid and filters done, she was on about the brakes, took the wheel and caliper off, the disk was just slightly better than them, the pads were none existent even the metal backing was half the thickness it should have been. I went off my head with her mainly cos for family I do stupidly cheap prices so no excuse that way, but mainly as she runs a creche service she has other peoples kids in her car all day everyday. needless to say it comes to me every 6 months now for a service ( i even dont have to repeatedly remind her).

As for that pictured above, guy needs a slap up the head what the f**k was he thinking even putting that into a MOT anyway.
Old 01 May 2011, 12:19 AM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default mot

and the goverment want to bring in longer intervals between mot not 1 year thinking of 2, and above thats shocking them brakes garages should be able to compound cars that person will prob go down the road to another garage and yes that person may take the bribe on and then thats another dangerous car on the road to other people
Old 01 May 2011, 12:29 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car has been in regular use,id of explained he needs his calipers/pads looking at also,as we all know, the disc only gets in a certain condition from how the pad works on it, id guess his calipers/pads are shot LOL
Old 01 May 2011, 07:10 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I look after a fleet of Kangoo's and i regularly see the discs looking like that.. Its shocking.

OP...Did you get as far as a brake test and see what the effiency was?
Old 01 May 2011, 08:51 AM
Blitzfighter
Scooby Regular

You abandoned test for that??? Out of interest, How long have you been testing? And please explain how those discs could harm or injure yourself or damage equipment???
been testing for a few years now, the condition of the vehicle is such that. in the opinion of the NT a proper examination would involve a danger of injury to any person or damage to the vehicle or other property.i guess every one has some sort of limit what is safe and not and i understand that if you go to every different M.O.T you will always find that 1 tester will find this whilst another tester might find something different, this shouldnt be the case, but were all humans and we do mistakes.
But if you're serious about saying how can this harm me easy, i do a roller brake test, brakes fail i can injure or harm my self in the car e.g hit my head against the window and smash it, i guess you dont know how expensive the M.O.T equipment is. i think the decision i made was correct and i even called my AE for a 2nd opinion and he agreed too. Are you a M.O.T tester?
Old 01 May 2011, 08:59 AM
Blitzfighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by obey1
and the goverment want to bring in longer intervals between mot not 1 year thinking of 2, and above thats shocking them brakes garages should be able to compound cars that person will prob go down the road to another garage and yes that person may take the bribe on and then thats another dangerous car on the road to other people
Yes the Government wants to bring that in

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...to-system.html

some people dont maintain there car for a year and then there shocked when it fail's an M.O.T, e.g tyre is so bald or the wiper blade is falling apart.
Just imagine if it was 2 years M.O.T i think there would be no tyre left on the rim
Old 01 May 2011, 09:03 AM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Dunno what you're talking about - at least 2 good track days worth left in 'em.
Old 01 May 2011, 09:06 AM
Blitzfighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ahar
Dunno what you're talking about - at least 2 good track days worth left in 'em.

i suppose were still in the recession so why not get your money worth
Old 01 May 2011, 09:19 AM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

But if you're serious about saying how can this harm me easy, i do a roller brake test, brakes fail i can injure or harm my self in the car e.g hit my head against the window and smash it, i guess you dont know how expensive the M.O.T equipment is. i think the decision i made was correct and i even called my AE for a 2nd opinion and he agreed too. Are you a M.O.T tester?
Yup & test approx 1700 class 4 & 7 vehicles a year! I've put discs worse than that on the RBT and not only have they passed the efficiency/imbalance test; I've never had a disc fail on me.
I'm not saying those discs are perfect (far from it), But I wouldn't have abandoned test for that reason.
There is a reason why VOSA have removed the advisorys and RFR's from the test, Too many testers were failing discs on corrosion/pitting etc when in fact the efficiency was more than good enough.
Old 01 May 2011, 09:22 AM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Put the family 206 in for its mot and my usual tester said didnt like the feel of the strutt top bearings - i took her home and dismantled the struts on the bench - ***** sake nothing left one strutt sitting 25 mm of centre - i couldnt even put what was left of one of them in the box the new one came in - managed to get a few bits and pieces of the other one together and took it to show him -patted him on the back - my wife and kids were driving this fcking thing - thats what mots are for - essential safety check.
Old 01 May 2011, 09:31 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocking, shows what kind of people tend to buy cars like that, uninterested in their transport as long as it goes, giving you a bribe so he can continue driving his dangerous **** heap.
Old 01 May 2011, 09:37 AM
danny c
Scooby Regular

Yup & test approx 1700 class 4 & 7 vehicles a year! I've put discs worse than that on the RBT and not only have they passed the efficiency/imbalance test; I've never had a disc fail on me.
I'm not saying those discs are perfect (far from it), But I wouldn't have abandoned test for that reason.
There is a reason why VOSA have removed the advisorys and RFR's from the test, Too many testers were failing discs on corrosion/pitting etc when in fact the efficiency was more than good enough.
exactly,we had a long chat about this with the local vosa guy! he basically said if they pass a roller brake check their isnt alot you can do,unless they are obviously worn below min thickness and likley to fail!

we get quite alot of cars in with the same kind of thing,audis rear discs do the same,as do the renaults!
Old 01 May 2011, 09:41 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Its a weird situation...Thats why i asked about the OP doing the brake test.

I thought condition of discs were only an advisory,whereas an inneffeciency was a fail. But if effiency was fine,the brakes passed ???
Old 01 May 2011, 09:52 AM
danny c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1

I thought condition of discs were only an advisory,whereas an inneffeciency was a fail. But if effiency was fine,the brakes passed ???
pretty much!

if car is in for a service to we advise they are replaced,and explain mot is minimum standard and service standard is differant!as most people realise brakes are a quite important they have the sense to let us replace them!
trouble is people dont realise a mot is the minimum standard, which to be honest could be just above scrap!
Old 01 May 2011, 09:53 AM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1

Theres no advisorys for discs any more, They either pass or fail.
Roll on 4-2-2 (not)! And depending on who you believe, It coming next year
Old 01 May 2011, 09:56 AM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny c
trouble is people dont realise a mot is the minimum standard, which to be honest could be just above scrap!
Spot on

Quick Reply: M.O.T Shocker