Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Right, time to tick a "life box" Learning to fly

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2011, 08:10 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right, time to tick a "life box" Learning to fly

I have been wanting to do this for some time now, and it's definitely one of those things I need to do at some point in my life.

I don't intend to go as far as obtaining a PPL, I just want to get to a level of being able to control an aircraft, take off and land.

Anyone here into this at all? I would just like to know from people that have experienced it on how long you reckon it would take to get to this level, along with an indication of cost.

Also if anyone can recommend any schools in Herts.
Old 29 April 2011, 08:43 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

I did a taster for this is a cessna 152 about 2 weeks ago. Crazy feeling once in the air and actually having some control. Not something i would follow through personally as i love my wheels more but the school i went to did a flat course for obtaining your licence on a cessna 152 at £6000.

Link - http://www.fawolverhampton.com/flight_training/ppl.html

Just for an idea of pricing.
Old 29 April 2011, 08:45 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

God I am lucky. I did this at university air school. They all looked at me like I was an idiot when I hired the super fast hot aircraft that cost.......2p a minute.....

Everybody else was taking turns in "happy", who was free once in the air due to it being the uni's own plane. You did have to pay for take off and landing, but that was pence too, a whole days flying only cost me £12.

Times like that have gone

Last edited by Luminous; 29 April 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 29 April 2011, 10:13 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cookie........takes me back and I wish I had done it. About 15 years ago I went for a lesson and they had an offer on for £4000 for the whole air /ground course. It's something I always regret not doing

Shaun
Old 29 April 2011, 04:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you really want to do it you will love it and I bet you go on to get a PPL.

It is hard work initially when you find you have to control the left and right roll bit as well as the rudder and also keep it flying level. Once you get that buttoned up it is a very satisfying experience. Look foward to your first takeoff by you as well as the first landing!

Les
Old 29 April 2011, 09:52 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I have been wanting to do this for some time now, and it's definitely one of those things I need to do at some point in my life.

I don't intend to go as far as obtaining a PPL, I just want to get to a level of being able to control an aircraft, take off and land.

Anyone here into this at all? I would just like to know from people that have experienced it on how long you reckon it would take to get to this level, along with an indication of cost.

Also if anyone can recommend any schools in Herts.
I used to live in WGC, I'm sure Panshanger do lessons.
Old 29 April 2011, 10:01 PM
*Dusty*
Scooby Newbie

Thought about a microlight? Much cheaper lessons and fewer of them required.
Old 30 April 2011, 12:35 AM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flying a KITE is fairly reasonably priced.
Old 30 April 2011, 01:09 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Raf from the WYIOC got his PPL a few months back. I'll direct him here to offer advice.
Old 30 April 2011, 07:35 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments so far guys, I have been doing a little bit of reading up on this and the weight restrictions may hamper me a little on this for a couple of months. Something to aim for I guess.

Something that I was really surprised to read is that the minimum age for lessons is 12!! That's my sons Christmas pressie sorted then.

The people that have obtained their PPLs was this for purely a "going all the way" feeling or were you trying to gain a career/second job? I'd imagine work would be fairly hard to get for a weekend hobby pilot or am I wrong?
Old 30 April 2011, 09:25 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I must be the only one who mis-interpreted the thread title....

(good luck with it anyway!)
Old 30 April 2011, 09:40 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's quite expensive to do and maintain.

Cars are a big enough money pit for me as it is!
Old 30 April 2011, 10:16 AM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I was bought an hours flying lesson for my birthday a few years ago. It qualified as the 1st lesson in the 40 or so needed to get your PPL. We did a bit of theory, then we took off and went over what the controls did in the air and then we came back down.

If I remember rightly from the sales stuff I was given, lesson 8 or 9 was just continual take-offs and landings. The next lesson after that was the first solo flight. That's a scary thought.

So averaging about £100 a lesson, it would be about a grand to get to that stage. But I'm sure if you explained to the flying school that you just wanted to be able to master the controls and do takeoffs and landings they'd probably put together a cheaper package for you.
Old 30 April 2011, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is certainly an expensive hobby. I could not afford to do it.

Les
Old 30 April 2011, 12:03 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

First solo was a bit of a non event for me to be honest, the solo Navex was much more rewarding!!
Flew from Sherburn to East Mids, was on 09, so landed over Donington, after doing 2-3 orbits on the down wind. Got a tour of ATC and the necessary signature to say I wasn't a danger to other aviators. (the radar picks up traffic on the M1 btw)
Left EMA and went across Lincolnshire to Scumberside Airport. Landed on 08. Trek round to the terminal to get a signature and paid my dues. Left Humberside and back to Sherburn, which was a pain as the sun was in my eyes the whole way back.
Got back to find they have 'forgotten' about me and gone home, so good job I didn't pile in anywhere.
I’ve probably kicked it now, as my SEP rating expires in August, and it’s just too expensive to maintain in terms of value for money and benefits I get out of it. However, should I land a lottery win, there will be an Extra 300 in a hanger somewhere shortly afterwards.
Old 30 April 2011, 12:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Sounds good!

Mark/Cooksie, you are an active bloke, always looking to engage yourself with exciting persuits, hobbies, activities etc. Good on you, matey.
Old 30 April 2011, 01:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is certainly an expensive hobby. I could not afford to do it.

Les
Doubt a Cessna would live up to your expectations !
Old 30 April 2011, 02:05 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
I was bought an hours flying lesson for my birthday a few years ago. It qualified as the 1st lesson in the 40 or so needed to get your PPL. We did a bit of theory, then we took off and went over what the controls did in the air and then we came back down.

If I remember rightly from the sales stuff I was given, lesson 8 or 9 was just continual take-offs and landings. The next lesson after that was the first solo flight. That's a scary thought.

So averaging about £100 a lesson, it would be about a grand to get to that stage. But I'm sure if you explained to the flying school that you just wanted to be able to master the controls and do takeoffs and landings they'd probably put together a cheaper package for you.
I had no idea you would be flying solo as soon as that, thanks for the info.
Old 30 April 2011, 02:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

LeeP is selling his hawkeye WRX to fund his PPL...

Will point him this way !

dunx

P.S. A lad I know chopped his 600 bhp Skyline in, for a helicopter...

Last edited by dunx; 30 April 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 30 April 2011, 03:35 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
LeeP is selling his hawkeye WRX to fund his PPL...

Will point him this way !

dunx

P.S. A lad I know chopped his 600 bhp Skyline in, for a helicopter...

Blimey, that is committed. Is this just a hobby for him or does he intend to use it for a career?
Old 30 April 2011, 09:38 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

He has a more than adequate job... but who wouldn't enjoy flying round the country instead of driving round ?

A school pal trained as a helicopter pilot for the North Sea oil "extavaganza", that never happened, he got £6000 redundancy in the late 70's and went in to the Navy to fly 'copters alongside one of t'Queen's lads, Andy i think

Now does medium haul for BA out of Manchester.

dunx
Old 01 May 2011, 12:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Doubt a Cessna would live up to your expectations !
Well not a hooligan's choice I agree, but I would still enjoy it, the challenges to get it right are still there.

Les
Old 07 May 2011, 06:26 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

PM Sent
Old 05 August 2011, 02:37 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Helloooo

Yes, I sold one addiction to go to another
I passed my PPL in May and have since managed 70 hours P1 and have completed my instrument training. Next on my list is multi-engine and am considering commercial with flight instructor to keep me flying for less

It's one of the most rewarding things I have ever done - and incredibly satisfying end to end. Learning to fly gives you to skills required to fly from A to B, but doesn't give you the sense and the attitude to do so. Only getting up and doing it, experiencing weather systems and fronts, interpretting radar information, getting visual with traffic, making approaches into new airfields and diverting when fogged over etc etc are all part and parcel of flying.

I've just returned from a trip for work to jersey and was some of the best flying ever. I flew above cloud down to Leicester then broke out of it, then reaching the Isle of Wight climbed to 6000ft before an instrument approach to Jersey.

seriously - do it, it is worth doing. You don't need to be a natural pilot either - that only helps in the first 5 hours. Continuity and mental work is required to make it all stick.

PM me if you ever want an hour flight or so, I fly most weeks now and do regular trips up, down and across the country

Lee
Old 05 August 2011, 02:39 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

PS - I passed mine in minimum hours, exams all passed first time round etc etc and did my test as part of my 45. I believe it cost me £6900 all in.

IMC rating cost £2300, Twin Rating will cost £2600, Instrument Rating Costs about £18k.
Old 05 August 2011, 02:48 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Passed my PPL in 47 hours, now have 60 hours PIC, loving every minute. I'm hoping that EASA will pull their head out their a rses & let us keep the IMC rating or train for the French IR (Instrument Rating)

It is an expensive hobby, I would like to do it as a career, but in reality I make more in IT than I could as a pilot, so it makes bad financial sense to change jobs.

Get a few lessons under your belt & see how you like it before committing funds.
Old 05 August 2011, 03:54 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Passed my PPL in 47 hours, now have 60 hours PIC, loving every minute. I'm hoping that EASA will pull their head out their a rses & let us keep the IMC rating or train for the French IR (Instrument Rating)

It is an expensive hobby, I would like to do it as a career, but in reality I make more in IT than I could as a pilot, so it makes bad financial sense to change jobs.

Get a few lessons under your belt & see how you like it before committing funds.
If you get your IMC rating, then you will be able to keep it and fly its privileges, this has been confirmed already. I suspect it'll be an IR-R (restricted) that we can cash in on, which will have different system minima etc
Old 05 August 2011, 04:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'm going up with a friend on the 21st, as he has done quite a few lessons already, he has booked a 4 seater instead of a two so I can get a taste of it, then hopefully will be able to sort a plan out with the flight school.

it's only about 20 minutes from my house as well, so no excuses now.
Old 05 August 2011, 05:22 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I'm going up with a friend on the 21st, as he has done quite a few lessons already, he has booked a 4 seater instead of a two so I can get a taste of it, then hopefully will be able to sort a plan out with the flight school.

it's only about 20 minutes from my house as well, so no excuses now.
Enjoy!! There is something called a 'cope course' too - my good lady is about to start it.

Teaches you straight and level, RT/comms, basic use of radio aids and how to get a plane within 10ft of the ground (used for when your partner/pilot has a medical emergency and is incapacitated, you are able to get to survival height with the plane) which maybe an option for you?
Old 05 August 2011, 05:34 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Cookstar are you some sort of newage or classic terrorist?

The last lots of fellas who just wanted to take off fly around abit, hit two big buildings in New York.

Quick Reply: Right, time to tick a "life box" Learning to fly