Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House clearance companies?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2011, 09:14 PM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House clearance companies?

Re-decorating the spareroom which currently has a fair bit junk in it. Couple of old shelves and chairs and just general junk.

Would prefer to get one of those junk removal companies as opposed to a skip to get rid of everything in one day.

Can anyone recommend a company they have used with reasonable prices.
Have heard some stories of companies who take your money and end up flytipping your junk
Old 26 April 2011, 09:20 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I had a bad experience last year, when I had to clear out my parents house. Ended up having to call in a house clearance company, (ran out of time before completion of sale......too much to go into here....). Wouldn't give us ANY money for the stuff (all good), and ended up having to pay them £300 to take it away. Give it to the charity shop, or ring the local council, as they will take furniture for poor people.
Old 26 April 2011, 10:30 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Where are you? My misses's dad does house clearances.
Old 27 April 2011, 08:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Many of them aren't interested unless you are leaving the white goods.

When mother in law dies, we wanted some of her stuff, so ended up doing the clearance ourselves.

A couple of runs to the tip, a couple or more to charity shops, then we kept the freezer, and sold the fridge and washer on.
Old 27 April 2011, 12:37 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
I had a bad experience last year, when I had to clear out my parents house. Ended up having to call in a house clearance company, (ran out of time before completion of sale......too much to go into here....). Wouldn't give us ANY money for the stuff (all good), and ended up having to pay them £300 to take it away. Give it to the charity shop, or ring the local council, as they will take furniture for poor people.
Why should they give you any money for the stuff? They are clearing the house for you, they are not there to pay you for the privilage of clearing your house of junk. Also remember that disposing of this junk costs money.... the tip isn't free for businesses
Old 27 April 2011, 12:52 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydee
Re-decorating the spareroom which currently has a fair bit junk in it. Couple of old shelves and chairs and just general junk.

Would prefer to get one of those junk removal companies as opposed to a skip to get rid of everything in one day.

Can anyone recommend a company they have used with reasonable prices.
Have heard some stories of companies who take your money and end up flytipping your junk
Just have a word with your local Pikey camp. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to take the stuff away.

Although they come back at night and take the stuff you wanted to keep.
Old 27 April 2011, 02:15 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Why should they give you any money for the stuff? They are clearing the house for you, they are not there to pay you for the privilage of clearing your house of junk. Also remember that disposing of this junk costs money.... the tip isn't free for businesses

It wasn't 'junk', it was good quality, and they advertise as 'purchasing antique and modern items'. Obviously I wouldn't have expected them to clear out a load of crap for nothing. As I said earlier, the reason I had to use them is too long-winded to go into here, but in a nutshell, my dad died suddenly, and then 8 weeks later my mum was sectioned with Alzheimer's, and we had to find a care home. We had no idea she had it until then. If we'd had more time to deal with everything going on, we'd have sold the stuff ourselves, at leisure.
Old 28 April 2011, 11:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Most of the people doing house clearances that I have known turn up at the local markets with the good stuff on their stalls.

Les