Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

work related holiday hours query

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2011, 11:22 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default work related holiday hours query

I get the bare minimum 28days holiday entitlement at work and I've just been informed that I can only take approx 18days of this as NI has 10 bank holidays. This again is annoying but fair enough.

My problem is that I work almost every bank holiday, don't receive extra pay and then get a day off whenever the powers to be choose I can be fitted in for one.

Is this fair or should I be kicking up a stink?
Old 26 April 2011, 11:39 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get 24 days a year plus bank holidays. However, I do have to use 3 of my days for the Christmas period. We usually shut in Xmas eve through to the first working day back in the new year.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788
Old 26 April 2011, 11:46 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I get 32.5 days holiday and the Bank Holidays ....... they wouldn't get me working the Holidays for anything less than a day off in leiu and triple time!

However, if they give you the Bank Holidays at another time and you agree then it's fair - if you don't agree then don't agree to it. Simples
Old 26 April 2011, 12:10 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I get 32.5 days holiday and the Bank Holidays ....... they wouldn't get me working the Holidays for anything less than a day off in leiu and triple time!

However, if they give you the Bank Holidays at another time and you agree then it's fair - if you don't agree then don't agree to it. Simples
What a surprise, better than everyone else....again.
Old 26 April 2011, 12:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Not quite ......... Teachers get 60 Days PLUS the Bank Holidays PLUS the INSET Days!!

PLUS the weeks they go Ski-ing with the kids ..... FREE of course!
Old 26 April 2011, 12:15 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

A bit jealous then??
Old 26 April 2011, 12:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Nah .... they only get paid £57,500 a year - I wouldn't pull my socks on for THAT!

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2011, 12:25 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

So all teachers get paid a tiny amount of £60k?
Hmm
Old 26 April 2011, 12:29 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.......so back to Jamz question...............
Old 26 April 2011, 12:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

There is a Teacher thread running ... let's not hijack this one

Back on topic - I believe that you should do what you feel is fair with your Employers .. they may not know your feelings at all ...
Old 26 April 2011, 12:39 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Check your employment contract and see what that states as your holiday entitlement.

If you work every bank holiday then surely you should be entitled to these as days in lieu?

They cant have it both ways, they either give you your full entitlement including allowing you to take the bank hols off or they ask that you substitute the bank holiday days with other days throughout the year.

Last edited by fitzscoob; 26 April 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 26 April 2011, 01:35 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Fitz- I've yet to given yet alone agree to a contract as I came back as a short term favour and well almost 18months on and I'm still here!

I just feel a bit short changed but don't want to rock the boat as a job at the moment is a very valuable thing to have and everyone seems to be easily replaceable!
Old 26 April 2011, 01:52 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

That's because you're the monkey and not the organ-grinder
Old 26 April 2011, 01:55 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I get the bare minimum 28days holiday entitlement at work and I've just been informed that I can only take approx 18days of this as NI has 10 bank holidays. This again is annoying but fair enough.

My problem is that I work almost every bank holiday, don't receive extra pay and then get a day off whenever the powers to be choose I can be fitted in for one.

Is this fair or should I be kicking up a stink?
It's ****, but so far as I can tell, it's 'fair' or legal I should say.

Employers aren't obliged to pay extra for people to work on a Bank/public Holiday, but if you work them and they are part of your annual entitlement (which in your case they are), they need to give you those days at another time.

I am pretty sure (although don't quote me) employers can also dictate when holidays are to be taken, so what they are doing is ok, just a little unfair imo.

It would be handy to have a contract so you can see exactly what their policy is, but just going by what you say, they aren't acting outside of the rules.

Could you not just have a polite word about being able to take the lieu days when it suits you? Perhaps if you ask in a nice manner they may be ok with that, they might not realise there was a problem for you...
Old 26 April 2011, 02:04 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Fitz- I've yet to given yet alone agree to a contract as I came back as a short term favour and well almost 18months on and I'm still here!

I just feel a bit short changed but don't want to rock the boat as a job at the moment is a very valuable thing to have and everyone seems to be easily replaceable!
I'd suggest giving ACAS a call and seeing if they can throw some light onto the matter for you.

After a certain period of time in employment, even without a contract you are classed as a full time employee and should have the same safety guards or benefits as other employess doing the same job. I'm sure a HR bod would be better equipped to give you information on this as I'm just going from past experiences.

Jobs are very valuable at the moment however, your employer should be aware that you're working all bank holidays and not receiving the time in lieu. It's simply wrong that they continue to force you to accept this as the norm.

With regards to when you can take your time off, we have a policy here where certain members of staff cannot have the same time off as others in their particular field of work so that we can continue production. The staff have generally always accepted this well, but sometimes they do try their luck. Its part of the job.
Old 26 April 2011, 04:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not quite ......... Teachers get 60 Days PLUS the Bank Holidays PLUS the INSET Days!!

PLUS the weeks they go Ski-ing with the kids ..... FREE of course!
They get 65/6 days actually, INCLUDING bank holidays, which you well know, having been a governor, supposedly.

They DO NOT get INSET days off, they work them.

I knew someone who ran ski trips for kids. They HAD to run in holiday time, and the teachers who went paid kids price, that was all they got for being on duty 24/7 while away, and on a hiding to nothing if owt went wrong.

So, all in all............ANOTHER epic PSLewis FAIL
Old 26 April 2011, 04:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Take it on the Teachers thread ... and I'll prove you wrong, once again.

On topic, I would ask for a contract.