Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Virgin Experience / Drivers Dream Days

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2011, 09:49 AM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin Experience / Drivers Dream Days

I thought I would share my experience at Prodrive on Saturday ...

Previously I had driven a 911 GT3 / Ferrari 360 / (Impreza / Elise) at the Enstone track and my overriding memory was how well engineered the GT3 was and how the Ferrari felt like a flimsy, oversized fast Fiat.

Fast forward to Saturday and the chance to drive what I perceive to be my other 2 favourite supercars: Gallardo and Nissan GTR at Prodrive. Firstly, what a great track it is. I've always loved the sound of the Gallardo V10 and also its looks. They have the e-gear spec but also the cars have some appendage on the back of the exhaust which I presume silences them for local noise restrictions.

There was a steady queue for the Lamborghini and when it was my turn I have to say that it was amazing but deep down I knew that it just wasn't quite there - the steering was precise but I didn't quite get the feedback I was expecting. And the e-gear changes weren't very smooth, though I did like the blip on the downchange.

The white metallic GTR didn't go out much at all, in my hour there was just myself and one other. I'm sure you've all read about this car many times over but you simply have to drive it. With the other cars you feel as though the instructor is holding you back to ensure the car survives the day. With the GTR, if you can demonstrate the confidence to brake heavily and late, he will let you go faster. The paddle shirt gearchange is amazingly quick and it's a much easier car to jump in and become familiar with.

So my final ranking is as follows:
1. 911 GT3
2. Gallardo
3. 360

I've left the GTR off the list as it is in another league for experiences. I shall never forget braking from 130-30 and feeling the blood rush forward in my body like that, or lapping 25% quicker than the Gallardo and being allowed to overtake one at speed on a corner.

I wouldn't want to own one as an everyday car as it's not possible to appreciate it within legal limits, but if there's one car you should drive in your lifetime (or even just to have a passenger ride), this is it.

http://www.driversdreamdays.co.uk/ex.../prod_336.html
Old 25 April 2011, 10:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now back to the studio ..