Online VED application

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2011, 02:45 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Online VED application

I know we should be trying to save our Postoffices and all that but really, when it's so damn' easy to renew online, I can't justify the faff to go to one to get the disc

I get the form, I go online, confirm the reference number, my MOT and Insurance are confirmed immediately (no forms needed) and I pay.

Job done - takes less than 5 minutes and I'll get the disc in the post in due course.

Apparently when you renew your MOT you don't even need to produce the old one to get the extended time - it's checked online and the date runs from expiry date on the old one - all automatic and painless.
Old 11 April 2011, 03:10 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just one small problem.
If you wanted to tax a sorn'd vehicle, you cant do it a few days before the start of the month so as it arrives in the post in time.
I only used the online renewal as I can't be bothered with hour long queue's in the Post office.
I wanted to tax my bike for the 1st April. The website wouldn't let me do it until the start of the month. My disc arrived on the 6th. Its an offence to use it without displaying the tax disc. I didn't care, I was out riding the bike anyway.
Old 11 April 2011, 03:47 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the site says that you're covered - just make sure you print out the last page (at least) as a 'receipt', should you need to prove it to a copper.

Regardless, I've used the online service for a few years now, and the tax disc has arrived within 48hrs, everytime!

I can't believe the DVLA can be so 'competent'!
Old 11 April 2011, 03:48 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There are special exemptions to the rule about having to display a valid disc if you've actually ordered one on-line and it's just not yet arrived. It's a fairly recent change, and I forget the exact time you're allowed, but provided you've paid the tax you're OK to drive.
Old 11 April 2011, 03:52 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
There are special exemptions to the rule about having to display a valid disc if you've actually ordered one on-line and it's just not yet arrived. It's a fairly recent change, and I forget the exact time you're allowed, but provided you've paid the tax you're OK to drive.
From the DVLA website;

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

Thats something I didn't know.
Old 11 April 2011, 04:05 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's it! ^^^

So, as said, just print off the last page 'receipt' as proof, and you're good to go.
Old 11 April 2011, 05:38 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a real labour saver for sure. Like you i used to feel a little obliged to keep the post office busy, but to be honest they are now privatised, keep cutting jobs and putting up the prices so i dont really feel for them anymore.

In this day and age 99% of post office duties can be performed online, and given the computer generation is now firmly in place surely post offices and many other services will die soon, as things are more widely done online, as its cheaper and more convenient.....maybe a shame or maybe its progress?
Old 11 April 2011, 06:08 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DVLA
You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.
If the vehicle is SORN then you won't have a tax disc to display.

But DVLA says:
Originally Posted by DVLA
If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.