Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mexico/Cuba?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2011, 12:11 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mexico/Cuba?

Thinking of going to Mexico the second week in may, anybody got any recommendations on where to go or stay. Or is Cuba a good alternative.

£1k per person budget, preferably all inclusive.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
Old 28 March 2011, 12:16 PM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

I would always go to Mexico. Absolutely love Cancun, great nightlife. all inclusive at the barcelo Tu Cancun.
Depends if you're taking kids or not really
Old 28 March 2011, 12:21 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at all inclusive in Cancun lastnight, it's around 1200-1400 quid on Thomson website but will have to shop around. It does sound nice out there
Old 28 March 2011, 12:27 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

wouldn't go back to Cuba - don't get me wrong, we had a great time - I just got fed up to the back teeth of beggers, and trying to be ripped off all the time - also, they now have 2 currencies over there - one for 'locals' and one for tourists - you get your hat nailed on royal if you go out for a meal etc...
Old 28 March 2011, 12:31 PM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

nothing like that in Cancun, locals are all so helpful and happy

Clubs are like nothing I have experienced elsewhere and the barcelo gets you in as VIP, so no queueing, get your own table with a limitless supply of drink all night and it only costs about 20 quid a head

Gorgeous beaches with clear blue water, just make sure its not hurricane season when you book
Old 28 March 2011, 12:33 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Cancun or Rivera Maya both will be excellant. I would'nt go to cuba
Old 28 March 2011, 01:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I stayed here
a couple of times, top service, good food and it's within your budget.
I sat on the terrace watching hurricane Katrina coming in last time i was there, didn't think we where getting out.

Last edited by Glowplug; 28 March 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 28 March 2011, 01:54 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Have been to both - both are quite different....

Cancun - has a fab u lous beach, one of the best... i kid you not....
Its very built up & american touristy... but hey its got a great beach & lots to do...
We hired a car (beetle!) and toured the whole of the yucatan peninsula, the whole place is fab, chichen itza, tulum, xcaret, cozumel all fab places to go to.....

Cuba - have had 5 days in Havana, and a week or so in a resort cant remeber where now - we loved Havana, i know others who hated it, it has great faded charm, the museum of the revolution is deffo worth a visit, as is one of the many cigar factories... eve n if you dont smoke.
The beaches also are great - well it is the caribbean!, but prefered cancun beach, its frickin hot, the breeze dessicates you like nothing else, drink plenty...

The main trouble with cuba is its ALL government owned, so all the shops are gov run, so the 'employee's' couldnt give a ****, make no effort to sell anything, so you dont get that 'capitalist' approach of trying hard to beat the competition, to make your shop better etc.... its just feels slightly odd to a westerner..... almost every shop sells the same 'gov made' stuff!

You'll have great time in either i reckon, but your options are more open in Mexico...
Old 28 March 2011, 03:25 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, some good suggestions there and will help me decide when I get home tonight.

Originally Posted by vallumlj
Cancun or Rivera Maya both will be excellant. I would'nt go to cuba
Rivera maya was one that stood out to me when I had a quick look last night, and was going to be looked into more.

Also I'm open to other ideas around that area too.

Aaron
Old 28 March 2011, 05:28 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

I've travelled from Mexico City to Cancun and it really depends on what you are looking for.
Do you want to stay in a plush hotel drinking cocktails by the beach and don't mind being surrounded by annoying american tourists? Go to Cancun. Personally i prefered Playa del Carmen which is next to Cancun.
If you want to marvel at the architecture of ancient civilisations then got to Chichen Itza or Monte Albán or Palenque.
If you want to see the biggest city you will ever see and spend a week coughing up pollution then go to Mexico City.
Old 04 April 2011, 12:30 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Just to thank all those who gave advice on this thread. I booked the Sensatori hotel through thompsons in Riviera Maya

One week all inclusive, can't wait.

Thanks again Aaron
Old 04 April 2011, 12:49 PM
muskeeuk
Scooby Regular

Went to Hotel Sirenis, Riviera Maya, Cancun last August for honeymoon - absolutely fabulous - going to Hotel Grand Bahia this year - supposed to be even better (have a look a Thomas Cook brochure)