Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private plate question

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2011, 08:26 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Private plate question

A few weeks ago i bought a private plate off an ebay seller.
The number was on retention and all fees paid and he posted the certificate out to me all filled in and i then sent it to dvla.
Today the certificate has come back with me as a named nominee but at the top the grantee is named as the seller but with my address?

If i send this along with V5 and MOT to local dvla will everything come back in my name (V5 + any other papers) or will it have the sellers name on it?

I was thinking the retention certificate would have my name as the grantee not the previous owners?

Does this seem correct?

Cheers
Old 26 March 2011, 08:09 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone?
Old 26 March 2011, 08:29 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure that being the "Grantee" then the vendor "Grants" you permission to use the plate???
Old 26 March 2011, 09:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
A few weeks ago i bought a private plate off an ebay seller.
The number was on retention and all fees paid and he posted the certificate out to me all filled in and i then sent it to dvla.
Today the certificate has come back with me as a named nominee but at the top the grantee is named as the seller but with my address?

If i send this along with V5 and MOT to local dvla will everything come back in my name (V5 + any other papers) or will it have the sellers name on it?

I was thinking the retention certificate would have my name as the grantee not the previous owners?

Does this seem correct?

Cheers
If the certificate was sent away for your name to be put on as Nominee then the certificate should have been returned to the seller (as Grantee), you shouldn't have received it. The Grantee would then have needed to forward it on to you. You only become the Grantee once the plate is assigned to YOUR vehicle which you can do as a Nominee.

I believe a mistake has been made.
Old 26 March 2011, 09:05 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

The grantee is the person who has the right to the vehicle registration number.
The grantee has the right to assign the vehicle reg number to a vehicle registered in someone elses name, this person is the NOMINEE.

Only the grantee can assign the vehicle reg number to their vehicle or to the nominees vehicle.

The nominee will have no right to the vehicle reg number untill it is assigned to there vehicle.

hope this helps mate.