Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

10 silk cut 3.70p, pension where does the money go if i die early?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2011, 11:02 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 silk cut 3.70p, pension where does the money go if i die early?

I remember I used to buy **** for 1.20p im shocked 3.70p from a corner shop what’s the world coming too?

My mrs has a very good job which pays towards her pension she apparently contributes 80 pounds a month towards it I asked her when she will be entitled to this money she said when shes 65.

If I go for a pension scheme what happens if I pass away early? As no one has a guarantee to live this long.
Old 25 March 2011, 11:08 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Silk Cut - the *** of pussies.

B&H Gold - puts hairs on your chest!

Most modern pension shemes allow you to complete an "expression of wish" - not a trust as such as the pension itself is wrapped in a trust. The expression of wish indicates to the pension trustees who you wish the money to be paid if you die. In probably all cases the entire pension fund is paid to whoever you wish.

Plus, £80 isn't enough. Unless the premium is going to go up in line with something like inflation or a % of her wages it won't produce enough at 65 to provide a reasonable income in retirement.

If you are thinking of about £100 a month, a stocks and shares ISA might be better suited and is far more flexible. On death, the ISA status is lost and can either be encashed or will become a collection of Unit Trusts which could be passed to your wife.

make sure your Wills are up to date too.
Old 25 March 2011, 11:09 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

to me cigaretts should cost way more than they do, they have no benefit at all, yet cause various serious deseases that cost the health service and tax pay a hell of alot of money.

and step down from my high horse,,, lol

there will be a section in the T's and C's ragarding it, some pension schemes automaticly come with life insurance. as far as the outstanding balance i believe it transfers to your designated next of kin (mines does anyway)
Old 25 March 2011, 11:19 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Silk Cut - the *** of pussies.

B&H Gold - puts hairs on your chest!

Most modern pension shemes allow you to complete an "expression of wish" - not a trust as such as the pension itself is wrapped in a trust. The expression of wish indicates to the pension trustees who you wish the money to be paid if you die. In probably all cases the entire pension fund is paid to whoever you wish.

Plus, £80 isn't enough. Unless the premium is going to go up in line with something like inflation or a % of her wages it won't produce enough at 65 to provide a reasonable income in retirement.

If you are thinking of about £100 a month, a stocks and shares ISA might be better suited and is far more flexible. On death, the ISA status is lost and can either be encashed or will become a collection of Unit Trusts which could be passed to your wife.

make sure your Wills are up to date too.

After 15 years of embassy number one I think I have a forest on my chest lol

Should have been a bit clearer her company contribute a larger chunk towards it.

I think I will start looking at ISA.
Old 25 March 2011, 11:29 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you give up smoking?
Old 25 March 2011, 11:32 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
to me cigaretts should cost way more than they do, they have no benefit at all, yet cause various serious deseases that cost the health service and tax pay a hell of alot of money.

and step down from my high horse,,, lol

there will be a section in the T's and C's ragarding it, some pension schemes automaticly come with life insurance. as far as the outstanding balance i believe it transfers to your designated next of kin (mines does anyway)

cool i better check her papaer work then

if the governemnt want to stop smokers then everyone should cold turkey it and they should make illegal however i think they make enough money from cigis so they wont ban it!
Old 25 March 2011, 11:34 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
tried for the past 10 years very tough ive stopped a lot of things but smoking is by far the toughest
Old 25 March 2011, 12:18 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
I agree wholeheartedly, and that's from an ex-smoker! I hate cigarettes with a passion and I am very intolerant of smokers now

It is hard, but life is not easy. There is plenty of help out there to stop you, get some!
Old 25 March 2011, 12:32 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

....why haven't you thought about a pension already?

I assume you are over 20?
Old 25 March 2011, 12:46 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus

if the governemnt want to stop smokers then everyone should cold turkey it and they should make illegal however i think they make enough money from cigis so they wont ban it!
Don't know if its true but the government are supposed to make more from **** than the cost to the NHS. I'm not sure it really takes in the wider issues regarding smoking though.

I smoke but wouldn't miss it if it was banned. I usually only have 1 or 2 a day - some life assurance companies vew less than 10 a day as low risk. I smoke Malboro Lights which are usually the most expensive on the shelf. I try to pace myself between my mum going to spain and picking up 200 for me so as not to buy in the UK.
Old 25 March 2011, 01:10 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

People like you are costing the country money by avoiding paying tax, however little.

Shame on you for getting your mother involved in illegal activities!
Old 25 March 2011, 01:12 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

It would take an awfullot of convincing for me to take out a pension,unless i was in a government job taking home 100k+.

I know of a few folk who died too early to cash in their pension and hear of toomany folk getting a ridiculous amount back after all those years paying into it.

Unless your lucky to stay alive for a good long time, i can't see you ever really reaping the benefits.

On the cig side, theres a few guys round my way that have out-lived plenty other people even though they have smoked and drank all their life. There's no reasoning for it, but the body acts in mysterious ways...

I say, do what pleases you.
Old 25 March 2011, 01:14 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
It's amazing how many people refuse to, even though money is tight.

Reading about a family living on Benefits. 2 kids.

They were complaning that after the Budget, they would be worse off due to the rise in price of **** and Booze.

So, money is tight as you're on benefit? Yes.

You have 2 kids? Yes

Why not give up smoking, that not only gives you more money every week to pay for heating, food, clothes for your kids, but also stops your kids breathing in your second hand smoke? No.

Some people.
Old 25 March 2011, 01:19 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
It would take an awfullot of convincing for me to take out a pension,unless i was in a government job taking home 100k+.

I know of a few folk who died too early to cash in their pension and hear of toomany folk getting a ridiculous amount back after all those years paying into it.

Unless your lucky to stay alive for a good long time, i can't see you ever really reaping the benefits.
If you are happy to live a life of poverty if you reach old age, then pair play. Or maybe you die and your partner can live a life of poverty.

Nice!
Old 25 March 2011, 01:24 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
tried for the past 10 years very tough ive stopped a lot of things but smoking is by far the toughest
Champix... ask your GP.
Old 25 March 2011, 01:35 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My dad died before retirement, so only 50% of it was given to my mother, I'm not sure where the rest goes either.
Old 25 March 2011, 01:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You could always hand over the 3.70 and ill stamp on the packet of ****

That way nobody loses
Old 25 March 2011, 01:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

My grandfather died a few months into his retirement , diabetes , and this gave my ole man the impetus to give up full time repsonsibilty / earnings ( unilever ) when he was sub 35 lol

Old 25 March 2011, 01:52 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think people forget how Lucky they are to be able to afford a pension.
Im stuck between living for now or living for old age.

Theres no way i could afford to put £100 aside each mth,if i did,id be living in poverty Now,not when im older.

My pension is my house,its my only option,sell it when im older (or whatever property if im lucky enough to be still owning my own house) and downgrade and live off the profit from selling the bigger one and claim state pension if there is one.

If there isnt one,i`ll have hopefully 10 yrs or so of money from the profit to live on,after that,well,i`ll be 70 odd and wont care LOL
Old 25 March 2011, 01:57 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My old man worked for over 50 years and got 2 & 1/2 years state pension for it...

dunx

P.S. I'm sure a repeat offender could shoplift their way into prison come retirement that's my plan !
Old 25 March 2011, 01:59 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

i just paid £7.50 for a 20 deck of B&H
Old 25 March 2011, 02:04 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Smoking is for Kippers. Seriously it pisses me off nowadays when I even smell cigarettes. Normally it's some tracksuited chav flicking ash as they walk down the street.
Old 25 March 2011, 02:05 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

spoke with a woman/client the other day.

on 200 **** a week, she used to be on 400.

all paid for by benefit.

nice.

ps- you need a pension, they'll be nothing left for you in yrs to come.

you might die tomorrow, you might die when yr 90.........

but if you pay in now/early at least there is a chance of finishing work early.

plus death benefits if you do pop off now- for yr family. i.e my wife would get about £140K now and about £15k a yr if I shuffled off..........
Old 25 March 2011, 02:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
My old man worked for over 50 years and got 2 & 1/2 years state pension for it...

dunx

P.S. I'm sure a repeat offender could shoplift their way into prison come retirement that's my plan !
Im pretty sure theres a waiting list
Old 25 March 2011, 02:13 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Die early and your contributions go to pay the pensions of the surviving members of the fund. All balanced by actuarial calculations.

Always wondered the opposite. Say there's 5 surviving fund members and the fund has funds to pay them for another 10 years and then four are killed in a car crash. Does the last survivor get a big windfall
Old 25 March 2011, 02:48 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Im counting on some fat sweaty nurse to be wiping my **** when Im 70. Ive paid taxes all my life and hell, Im going to make sure I get it back, one way or another !
Old 25 March 2011, 02:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
If you are happy to live a life of poverty if you reach old age, then pair play. Or maybe you die and your partner can live a life of poverty.

Nice!
You do realise there is more than one way to save for your retirement?

Originally Posted by davyboy
People like you are costing the country money by avoiding paying tax, however little.

Shame on you for getting your mother involved in illegal activities!
Ha Ha Ha - get a grip sunshine.
Old 25 March 2011, 03:06 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
I used to be like that, then someone on my Team at work got cancer - started in the lungs and by the time it was picked up on, it had spread to the brain.

I stopped. Instantly. It wasn't difficult and I never looked back. Several of my other colleagues gave up like this too.

Giving up and the power to do so is truly all in the mind. Nicotine? Pfff.

Picture yourself in five years time, sitting with the doctor and being told what my colleague was told and then imagine saying "well If only I could have quit..... but it was just too hard"
or
"I tried but it was too stressfull"
or
"I just enjoyed them too much"

or

"oh well, 6 months is quite a long while..."

"I'm sorry son, daughter, my love, I have 6 months left to live (because I just couldn't give up smoking)

How about aranging your own funeral and paying for it, pickng out the coffin etc so your kids wont have to?

Enjoy your ****
Old 25 March 2011, 03:08 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Don't know if its true but the government are supposed to make more from **** than the cost to the NHS. I'm not sure it really takes in the wider issues regarding smoking though.
That is actually true. I'm happy for people to spark up. Govt takes over £10bn in revenue from the sale of tabs http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-public...-from-tobacco/ but it only costs the NHS £5bn http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8086142.stm

Personally, I don't have the cash to make up the difference so smoke away please!

5t.
Old 25 March 2011, 03:12 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

I smoke but wouldn't miss it if it was banned. I usually only have 1 or 2 a day - some life assurance companies vew less than 10 a day as low risk. I smoke Malboro Lights which are usually the most expensive on the shelf. I try to pace myself between my mum going to spain and picking up 200 for me so as not to buy in the UK.

Edd scott
Think the government make a nice income from it, in Egypt I can pick up a 20 box for 50p in the uk 7.50, if the Egyptians can make a profit on a 50p packet then the uk government are making some serious money. As shop keepers don’t make much on ****.

Gigsy

I did and I’m booked in to go see the nurse next week I tried the tablets before but they left me a sore throat.

Dave boy

My boss offered to me in a scheme but Ive been around long enough to know not many people will get to enjoy all there pensions some people don’t even get that far, ive got a couple of properties I think my best bet is add to them and just live of the rent. Im 28 nearly 29 have worked since the age of 14 I have a dream to retire in my early 40s if everything goes to plan.

Its crazy retirement age is 65 you wont be able to enjoy your money unless your healthy which is very unlikely in that age 

Quick Reply: 10 silk cut 3.70p, pension where does the money go if i die early?