Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Time out for a long trip? Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2011, 05:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time out for a long trip? Anyone done it?

I've not had more than 2 weeks off at a time for 15 years, but don't presently feel exhausted or dejected. Wife has just become unemployed for the fourth time in 32 months. We've worked our asses off and whilst we don't own our house and can't afford to retire yet, we have 7 times my annual take home income saved. We have a rented house and our only dependent is our beloved cat who can stay with the in laws and does on holidays already. I can arrange time off from my practice, the question is how long...

2,3,6 months? Anyone done this sort of thing? I'm 36 and my wife is 38, better enjoy travelling now rather than hoping to do it in some long off retirement which we may not reach anyway. I keep hearing too many stories of people getting seriously ill or dying just before retirement.

Give up the house and put everything in storage if going for a longer trip? Downside is that we'd need to find another house on our return. Probably wouldn't unless 6 months and I suppose we'd consider selling our cars too if this was the case.

Just gabbling really, ideas? I didn't do the year out thing when younger, now seems like a good time. No plans to have any kids.
Old 23 March 2011, 06:09 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rent a flat in koh tao for chips money and train to be a Dive Master. Then sign up with a dive shop guiding tourists.

Total change of scene
Old 23 March 2011, 06:09 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

John, you have circa £700k in the bank? Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Like you I never did the year off thing and have worked like a dog since age 23. Though my wife and I travelled quite a lot before we had kids it was in 2 week blocks like you.

I really wish I had taken a longer amount of time and travelled more. We talk about it now, I could take 3 months per child unpaid paternal leave.

If you have the opportunity then I would say definitely do it
Old 23 March 2011, 06:20 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I'm in a similar position. Worked for last 12 years with no more than 2 weeks off (probably over xmas period). But don't feel particularly bad for it. Probably the same for alot of other people. Got some savings too.

During the credit crunch I said that if I was made redundant I would go travelling for 3 months or so. My redundancy would have given me about a years salary.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, it never happened.

I say go for it if your job is safe. Why not.
Old 23 March 2011, 06:27 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

I wish i could do it, im 28 and have had 2 weeks in america in the last 4 years so was due a holiday. Been self employed it will be a while before i can do anything like that but envy you and certainly say go for it
Old 23 March 2011, 06:27 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Wow, I'd be booking the plane tickets now if it were me No dependants, plenty of cash in the bank, you will never regret this if you go ahead.

Never done the gap year type thing but have had two separate month long breaks one to Oz and one to NZ. It's never long enough

I'm resigned to the fact that I won't be doing any serious travel now until retired as our first sprog is imminent. If we have the cash I would like to do at least one or maybe two month long trips before school age is reached. West Coast USA really appeals to me. Once retired, for one I intend to have a camper van by then so we can spend as long as we like touring this great country that we live in, and as many foreign jaunts as the pension will stretch to
Old 23 March 2011, 06:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

A couple of months back I had a chap to call and see me one Sunday to buy something I sell and he apologised for being in a bit of a rush but said he was away on a trip the next day. I asked where to thinking he was off to see his mum or something like that and he just said casually "Oh I'm off around the world". And sure enough the next day he loaded up his Moto Guzzi, parked his girlfriend on the back and took off for six months or so - see http://www.guzzioverland.co.uk/

John I would say that 2 months will rush by and you get far more of a life enriching experience if you took longer. But do you have any ideas of places that you would really like to see? S. America would appeal to me. And how would you travel, buy an old yank and do Route 66 of just fly around?

I'd certainly grab the chance but the danger is you would fall in love with some place and never want to come back to the mess that is UK nowadays.

d

Last edited by David Lock; 23 March 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 23 March 2011, 07:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I would like to do the West coast of the USA, some South America, Australasia, Far East. Some flying, some cruising, some driving perhaps. Embryonic idea as the wife only lost her job on Monday, but most of the elements are in place to actually do it.
Old 23 March 2011, 07:13 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely do it. You'll eat into your savings a bit, but the experience will be more than worth it... and when you come back it will be back to the usual, you'll save up again in no time with the memory of a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Difficult to see any downsides to the situation you've described.
Old 23 March 2011, 07:41 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I doubt his take home is £100k per annum

I always look at it like this:

Lying on your death bed, are you likely to be content in the knowledge that you blew £50k or whatever on a proper tour of a few chunks of the world with some amazing memories, or will you wish you had £50k more in the bank.

We're going on a month tour of NZ next Feb. It'll cost just into 5 figures, but so what

As you said, do it while you can.
Old 23 March 2011, 07:42 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Get on with it .
I have often thought I would like to live abroad somewhere .I then think ,would I actually like it to be hot all the time ,and the answer is ,I dont know because I have only ever been abroad like yourself for a couple of weeks at a time .
I dont think there is anything stopping you to be honest .It may be the best thing you,ve ever done .Go for it .
Old 23 March 2011, 08:17 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Do it, opportunities like the one you describe are few and far between.

My worry would be that if I spent a significant amount of time away from work I would realise how insane it is and refuse to return!
Old 23 March 2011, 08:32 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if it is just a change of scene

I friend of mine took advantage of a reciprocal agreement between the NHS and the New Zealand health system and did a life swap for 6 or 12 months

Took over a GP practice in Christchurch, really enjoyed it (with wife and 3 kids) and came back refreshed -- a few years ago

in fact he is thinking of another sabbatical at the moment
Old 23 March 2011, 08:33 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Are you still here?!

I've only managed three weeks at a time. Did the West coast of the US in 08 then in 09 I did Route 66 by myself, best thing I've ever done! I'd jump at the chance to do it again, would love to spend longer doing it.

Go on, get out there it's ace!
Old 23 March 2011, 08:41 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

John, I always try to solve these dilemmas by trying to look at how I am likely to view my decision with the benefit of 20+ years of hindsight. Unfortunately, I never realised this until recently so have made load of honking decisions in my youth

You have identified the opportunity to do this and identified that now is a good time for a number of reasons. So ask yourself, are you more likely to look back in 20 years time and think:

A: "I wish [wife] and I had never taken that [insert time] out"

or

B: "I wish [wife] and I had taken that [insert time] out"

Only you can answer that question for yourselves. However, I would hazard a guess for most people the likely split is 20 years time will be ITRO

A=20%
B=80%
Old 23 March 2011, 08:47 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Are you still here?!

I've only managed three weeks at a time. Did the West coast of the US in 08 then in 09 I did Route 66 by myself, best thing I've ever done! I'd jump at the chance to do it again, would love to spend longer doing it.

Go on, get out there it's ace!
Across America is one I've thought about doing recently. Would love to do route 66. I've probably seen one too many films... is it as good as it seems?
Old 23 March 2011, 08:57 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

How about six month work in Aus to pay for six months tour round Asia ?

Doubt you'll come back !

dunx

P.S. I did the year out thing several times... but only round this country for a "break" from the tedium...
Old 23 March 2011, 09:15 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

I know its been mentioned a few times already, but tour New Zealand. After the world cup you would get some good prices too. They like their scoobies as well..... You can thank me for this suggestion when, or if you ever decide to come back.
Old 23 March 2011, 09:19 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Shrouds don't have pockets
I can think of quite a few people who have saved and saved for retirement only to have their partner pass away, or they get some age-related infirmity, or even that they just cannot bring themselves to actually break into their savings...
If I were you I'd be packing now.
Old 23 March 2011, 09:24 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy

Lying on your death bed, are you likely to be content in the knowledge that you blew £50k or whatever on a proper tour of a few chunks of the world with some amazing memories, or will you wish you had £50k more in the bank.

We're going on a month tour of NZ next Feb. It'll cost just into 5 figures, but so what

Jesus, how many folk you paying for
Old 23 March 2011, 09:40 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
Jesus, how many folk you paying for
Just 2!

Flights £2.5k
Car Hire + Fuel £1.5k
Hotels £3.0k (£100 a night avg)
Food/Drink £1.5k (£50 a day)
Other Stuff £1.5k (scenic flights etc)

Total £10k

Some contingency built in there, but wont be far off the total.
Old 23 March 2011, 11:44 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Across America is one I've thought about doing recently. Would love to do route 66. I've probably seen one too many films... is it as good as it seems?

It's not quite hit 66 in Chicago and drive till you hit LA, some of it is a right ***** to find and a fair amount is Interstate. That said, I love driving and just taking in the scenery. For me it was a massive kick up my own ****, got me out doing stuff for myself which I needed to do. Plus now when I look at a map of the US I can say I've driven across there!
Old 23 March 2011, 11:54 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Which one of you is infertile?

Old 24 March 2011, 07:20 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy

Oh, I'm pretty sure it will be about that figure Rossy

Anyway, most people have hit the nail on the head. As my wife keeps saying nobody lies on their death bed and says 'I wish I'd worked harder/saved more money'.

The regrets are always places you haven't been or people you haven't spent enough time with.
Old 24 March 2011, 08:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't hang about...just do it.

Les
Old 24 March 2011, 08:52 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

John, you are a successful doctor and are in the position to do this without bankrupting yourself. Please, go for it, come back with a 1,000,001 memories and tell us the stories!!

Good luck

Andy
Old 24 March 2011, 10:25 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

As COB says but can you also post pics of saucy young ladies from around the world?
Old 24 March 2011, 10:38 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Poor *****. Home alone.
Old 24 March 2011, 10:54 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

We would miss ***** a lot.
Old 24 March 2011, 10:58 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
We would miss ***** a lot.

We're bad enough when we go away for 2 weeks!

Quick Reply: Time out for a long trip? Anyone done it?