Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog breeding

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2011, 01:04 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog breeding

Serious question folks.....anyone any info on it?
I have a 3 year old American bull dog , just come into season and wanting to breed her this year.
We was going to just buy a pup for her but may aswel breed her and keep a pup
Anyone know when there supposed to be put with a dog
Cheers
Old 21 March 2011, 01:37 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andissti
Serious question folks.....anyone any info on it?
I have a 3 year old American bull dog , just come into season and wanting to breed her this year.
We was going to just buy a pup for her but may aswel breed her and keep a pup
Anyone know when there supposed to be put with a dog
Cheers
I would say that three years of age is about the right age.

Do you have contact with any breeders who you know are reputable?
Old 21 March 2011, 02:07 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Is your dog a pedigree? Do you have any KC papers?

Join a breed club for your breed, they will be able to advise you on the health problems of the breed.

What checks have you undertaken? Many pedigree dogs are heart echo dopplar tested, hip scored, elbow scored and some are checked for cystinturia.

Once you know if your pet is suitable to breed from, you need to get in touch with the owner of a stud dog. The fee for providing the stud service varies breed to breed. Some stud fog owners may exercise the option to have the first pick of the litter.

It's easiest to find a stud dog to use if your bitch is a good example of the breed or done well at showing.

Additionally, make sure the breeder who supplied your bitch did not place any breeding restrictions on your bitch. If they did, you will not be able to breed without their permission. If there are conditions not to breed, you would not be able to register a litter with the Kennel Club, therefore making them of no interest to anyone seeking a pedigree dog.

Ask yourself if you have time to look after a litter of pups. They will need feeding four times per day after weaning. At eight weeks of age they would be old enough to go to their new homes (6 weeks if non-pedigree). Once they have gone, you will still be responsible for the pups should the buyer be unable to keep the pup.

Also consider what you will include with each pup to their new families, such as food which they have been eating, a record of innoculations and working schedule, if you have micro-chipped them. Some breeders also interview potential owners and do home visits to make sure the potential home is suitable.

I must admit that I don't think the American bulldog is a breed recognised by the kennel club over here.

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 21 March 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 21 March 2011, 03:55 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys , looking after them is fine my missis is home , kc....won't accept the breed yet as there isn't enough of the in the country.
She is abr registered though so I might phone them for stud dogs