Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone into or know anything about technical drawing (for kids)

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2011, 01:38 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone into or know anything about technical drawing (for kids)

My son, (11 Y/O) has expressed a keen interest in technical drawing recently, as he is thinking about his GCSE soon, he was asking me what would be the best option to study for in this field with maybe a view to architecture.

I have said that Maths, science would be the obvious choices, but these are compulsory anyway but what others would give him the required knowledge or skills to carry forward with the drawing/designing side. I wasn't sure about art as all we did during art was make silly shapes out of clay and generally not much else.

Also can anyone recommend any entry level equipment that might be good for him to learn with? I have seen some cheapish drawing boards on EBAY for around £30 or so.

And basically any other advice I can pass on to him.

Many thanks.
Old 15 March 2011, 01:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the way things are going, IT or computing would be a good one to add as well (if there is one of those) most drawings are computer driven now. If he likes doing it could get him a drawing package on the computer and let him have a play
Old 15 March 2011, 01:45 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Have a look at google sketchup, its free to use and download and is pretty good for any basic drawing requirements I have. I doubt it would be recognised by any of the exam boards but might give him enough insight into that sort of programme to be able to progress from in due course.
Old 15 March 2011, 01:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Have a look at google sketchup, its free to use and download and is pretty good for any basic drawing requirements I have. I doubt it would be recognised by any of the exam boards but might give him enough insight into that sort of programme to be able to progress from in due course.
That's great, I'll let him know that he can download that, that's the kind of thing I'm after.

Is it all computer based now, or do you learn both methods- paper + computer?
Old 15 March 2011, 01:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

personaly i'd move towards computers, 99% of drawings are doen that way now, even sketch's
Old 15 March 2011, 01:52 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Good quality squares, 60/30 & 45 degree, a decent pair of compasses, and propelling pencils with assorted refills are all I've ever used, although as Tidgy says it's almost all computer driven these days.

In terms of software, I would have a look to see if Autodesk do any personal/home use packages.
Old 15 March 2011, 01:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If he wants to become an Architect, then he needs to be learning to draw on computer.

You can get a basic AutoCad LT for a few hundred quid.

He should be looking to go to college at 16, and do a BTEC in Building studies. Followed by a HND in Building studies at University or directly onto a Designated Architecture course at Uni.

It takes a while though. Prepare him for studying at Uni till he's 24/25.

My mate did this (at Newcastle University) and has done very well for himself. Within 12months of starting, he was running his own team, and now is an Associate with several design projects running beneath him.

Also tell him that the hours are long..............very long. Expect to start work at 7am and finish after 7pm. No overtime. You can start at 9 and finish at 5pm if you want. But you'll always be at the bottom of the ladder.

My mate is just about to start building his own house (designed by himself) and has talked about getting a Gallardo to sit inside the Garage.
Old 15 March 2011, 02:07 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
My mate did this (at Newcastle University) and has done very well for himself. Within 12months of starting, he was running his own team, and now is an Associate with several design projects running beneath him.

he's done very well for himself indeed that sort of thing is far from the norm
Old 15 March 2011, 02:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

autocad is the way to go, but prob a bit too advanced at 11
Old 15 March 2011, 02:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
autocad is the way to go, but prob a bit too advanced at 11
Not really, I'd have thought. Basic skills are picked up quite easily. Always best to learn on the systems that any future job would be using.
Old 15 March 2011, 02:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

he's done very well for himself indeed that sort of thing is far from the norm
Yep. He's one of those who will be very successful at what ever he does.
Old 15 March 2011, 02:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Not really, I'd have thought. Basic skills are picked up quite easily. Always best to learn on the systems that any future job would be using.

at 11? i agree its def the package to aim for but at 11, just playing around with something is fine. but considering the cost of autocad i dont think it is justified.
Old 15 March 2011, 02:34 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If he wants to become an Architect, then he needs to be learning to draw on computer.

He should be looking to go to college at 16, and do a BTEC in Building studies. Followed by a HND in Building studies at University or directly onto a Designated Architecture course at Uni.

It takes a while though. Prepare him for studying at Uni till he's 24/25.

Also tell him that the hours are long..............very long. Expect to start work at 7am and finish after 7pm. No overtime. You can start at 9 and finish at 5pm if you want. But you'll always be at the bottom of the ladder.

My mate is just about to start building his own house (designed by himself) and has talked about getting a Gallardo to sit inside the Garage.

Thanks for the info, I have explained to him that he will be studying until he is in his mid 20's and he is fine with that, well he will be until he discovers how nice ***** and beer are. Saying that though he is very much into his school work for a lad of his age, and is doing work that is one and sometimes two years ahead of his year.
Old 15 March 2011, 02:39 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Also look at solidworks, I think student editions are around £79.
http://www.ntcadcam.co.uk/solidworks-education.html

Last edited by Ray T; 15 March 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: link added
Old 15 March 2011, 02:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

at 11? i agree its def the package to aim for but at 11, just playing around with something is fine. but considering the cost of autocad i dont think it is justified.
See what you're saying now.