Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Prams FFS....

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2011, 04:46 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prams FFS....

....thought we should probably get some baby stuff as it's less than two months now

Went looking at buggies / prams over the weekend. Like the idea of the travel systems where you have a chassis, then slot in either the push chair, car seat or optionally a carry cot. But it's mind bending the choices out there. It does also seem possible to buy on a budget but are the cheap ones rubbish, I often find the pay for what you get mantra to be true?

Very helpful in the first place we went to and from there narrowed it down the Britax B-Smart 4, Mamas & Papas Sola, or BabyStyle Oyster. Favoured the Britax as it looked really smart and chunky. Was so impressed that I said if they were within a few £ of Internet prices then we'd go back and order however have seen the Britax for £250 and they were £329 (just the buggy )

Then looked on Which? (father in law has lent me his login ), the Mama & Papas and the BabyStyle ones were best buys, the Britax only had a review for the three wheeled version but the consensus was it was too bulky and if you had a small car (missus has a Mitsi Colt) it was a struggle getting it in the boot. However with the other two they recommended the carry cot for newborns as the seats didn't recline enough. The Britax was supposedly lay flat so carry cot possibly not needed. But on the advice of Which? maybe not the Britax after all.....

Help!
Old 07 March 2011, 04:51 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are posting on a car forum about which buggy to buy, you are ****ed already
Old 07 March 2011, 04:58 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

But SNet is the fountain of all knowledge

And I bet that deep down the male contingent do have opinions as it's still a shiny mechanical gadget with lots of options for pimping the ride
Old 07 March 2011, 05:05 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

We bought Graco Travel system. Lasted for out 2 kids no problems. Seat base anchors to rear seat via seatbelts (Or Isofix) Seat just clips in.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:11 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We bought silver cross 3D baby r us had a great deal on. They could be worth a try?
Old 07 March 2011, 05:13 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

WE went for the quinny buzz 4 travel system. Really good although very cumbersome!! The travel cot is good but TBH we hardly used ours (bad birth stuck at home for first few months) but was still a good bit of kit and with the chunky tyres was such a smooth ride for my little boy. The isofix clip in is so good and easy too great for those time when its chucking it down.

If you are close enough etc try Kiddicare and there on hand service and advise is spot on they dont go crazy for expensive to make the money and show you what you need and whats highly rated.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:14 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

We got a Bugaboo Frog with maxi cosi adapters and maxi cosi carseat/isofix base for our 1st.
The frog was 2nd hand and came with all the cot, seat,umbrella etc.. all for £250

Then a quinny Buzz for our 2nd. (same maxi cosi car seat) with small and large seats.

Out of the 2 the Buzz was more modern and slightly more robust... but the Bugaboo was a great little pram/stroller unit...

Just about to list it on the bay..

Last edited by scooby L; 07 March 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...gId=10751&msg=
Old 07 March 2011, 05:25 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately no where near the Kiddicare shop but have seen the web site and it very competitive.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Mrs mum and dad bought us a Graco one. Brilliant 3-1 system, buggy with seat which can be a lie down one, pushchair and car seat. http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us...m%280076974%29

Good quality and decent price too.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Unfortunately no where near the Kiddicare shop but have seen the web site and it very competitive.
Find one in a local shop and have a good look and feel and then buy from Kiddiecare?

CoB - Graco stuff is really good quality and good value for money. If you like and on your way back from Scunny after collecting the car Friday you can pop in and pick up a nearly new M&P cot/bed. it converts between a cot and then to a child's bed - yours for the cost of a beer

I am 5 mins from j15 M1

Last edited by The Zohan; 07 March 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:41 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Thats a nice gesture Paul , we've got a mirror that clips on back seat so you can check on the little one. We're just off j28
Old 07 March 2011, 05:43 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It is a mindfield! Goto a shop that allows you to try them in your car. Travel systems are often the bulkiest and heaviest prams and tke up the most boot space and you'll need all the space you can get what with all the baby clobber when going for visits with the little'n. Then consider the weight of lifting it into the car if your wife isn't built like Fatima Whitbred.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Find one in a local shop and have a good look and feel and then buy from Kiddiecare?

CoB - Graco stuff is really good quality and good value for money. If you like and on your way back from Scunny after collecting the car Friday you can pop in and pick up a nearly new M&P cot/bed. it converts between a cot and then to a child's bed - yours for the cost of a beer

I am 5 mins from j15 M1

You have PM.

Originally Posted by antc
Thats a nice gesture Paul , we've got a mirror that clips on back seat so you can check on the little one. We're just off j28

Keep em coming
Old 07 March 2011, 06:13 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Me elsewhere....
We got the Mamas & Papas MPX for our little'un (now 3). Easily collapsable chassis which can take either the car seat directly, meaning you don't need to wake the baby when leaving the car; the seating system, which lays flat for newborns or (variable) upright seat with footmuff; or the carrycot, which effectively changes it from a buggy to a proper pram, and all bits can face forward or backwards. All the bits can also be clicked into a collapsable stand for use in the house (we use the carrycot as a cot for our new newborn) so again it makes it easy to bring the baby in from the car asleep. We paid about £385 IIRC, but didn't get the carrycot initially. When we were expecting the new baby the missuse decided she wanted the carrycot, so I bid on eBay for a complete system worth over £600 with everything, including two carseat bases and won it for £23.99 So, now we have two chassis's, seats, carseats, stands, a carrycot and three bases, oh, and a raincover. I wish we'd bought from eBay the first time 'round

It has been superb !

We've also got a Phil & Teds Sport which can carry both the NB and 3yo....

....for when we go walking.

All images Googled, not ours.
I know when it's your first kid you want everything new, and the missuse will probably insist, but when I got the whole M&P system for £24 the realisation that we'd wasted hundreds before hit home. Sure, we got our monies worth out of what we bought and I still say it was and is a brilliant bit of kit. I just wish we'd hit eBay first, as there are thousands of thoroughly decent folk selling perfectly good used prams that are clean and fully functioning.

THIS LINK shows the full system and its versatility

Last edited by corradoboy; 07 March 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07 March 2011, 06:37 PM
scooby1664
Scooby Regular

we got the phil and teds, absolutly pukka its for sale on ebay

Only cus the kids are too old now!
Old 08 March 2011, 09:29 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

I am 5 mins from j15 M1
My thoughts exactly, hence our trip out last weekend to try a few. Have to look at the Graco stuff a bit more closely though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming
Old 08 March 2011, 09:53 AM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the Quinny Buzz. Got it with the Maxi Cosi car seat (and isofix base) and it's been superb. Our boy is 1 now and it still looks / works as good as new. It is quite big though, which I think is the only downside (but on the flipside this makes it quite robust and roomy).

Babies'r'Us was the cheapest when we bought ours, as they often do £100 off.

We were going to get the carry-cot but glad we didn't, would never have used it. Car seat is fine for when they're small and they are never in it for a prolonged period!

Also got a Quinny Zapp for holidays / short strolls and that's been a god-send too.
Old 08 March 2011, 10:27 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

In hindsight I made a mistake the first time around buying a travel as it was left totally redundant after a while. The novelty of them looking so comfy and easy to use wears off after a while when you are lugginh the rest of the house (kitchen sink included!!)
My son only got to about 6 months and I was already googling for reviews on the best stroller!

I knew which buggy I would be getting in place of the huge all terrain 3 wheeleer travel system, but sadly I needed a twin buggy for the next pregnancy.

Even thought I don't plan on having anymore babies (in the near future) I already know which pushchair I would buy.

http://www.3in1pushchair.co.uk/macla...pushchair-2009

I saw this stroller/travel system in Halfords when my daughter was about six months old, and I really had to stop myself buying it! I already had the recaro car seat, and it was a lovely pushchair, but at that time, I already had a stroller for when it was needed.

It may seem a little more expensive than a stroller (depending on what you would pay for one) but if you shop about you can get the full three in on e for a good price.
To me this would have been the perfect solution.
Like I said, looking back, I amd pretty much all parents end up getting a stroller not long after you have bought the 'main' buggy, and this is the best of both worlds.

Also, you can pic up accesories for this stroller on ebay at really good prices, and capital seating on ebay do really good prices on the matching car seat.
I have had all my seats from him and have never had any problems at all.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 08 March 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08 March 2011, 10:36 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1664
we got the phil and teds, absolutly pukka its for sale on ebay

Only cus the kids are too old now!
That's what I had when my second came along. Excellent pushchair, especially if you have children close together as we did.
I used to use the back seat as a luggage compartment when my son was happy to walk.
It did many a trip around silverstone with a cooler in the back
Old 08 March 2011, 11:00 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good help here for you:

http://chris.602.org/baby_owners_manual/
Old 08 March 2011, 11:41 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

We went with Mothercare Xcursion - where you can drop the car seat into the frame and it comes with a lie-flat section too

Got it for £270 from being £400!

I would love one of those Spinny Quinny ones but they're £750 - FFS - you can buy a car for that much lol
Old 08 March 2011, 11:58 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

We just bought a Silver Cross 3D travel system.

The push chair was £299 but then Toy R Us threw the car seat in for free (£80).
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us...arcoal(0069639)

Didn't like any of the Graco ones. Didn't feel like they would last very long.
Very good prices though.
Make sure the one you chose will fit in your car. Sounds stupid but you need to check.
Also, the weight of it will be very important. If mrs can't lift it, thats another £300 down the drain.
Old 08 March 2011, 12:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
We just bought a Silver Cross 3D travel system.

The push chair was £299 but then Toy R Us threw the car seat in for free (£80).
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Travel-and-Pushchairs/Travel-Systems-and-Pushchairs/Pushchairs-and-Strollers/Silver-Cross-3D-Pram-Travel-System-in-Charcoal(0069639)

Didn't like any of the Graco ones. Didn't feel like they would last very long.
Very good prices though.
Make sure the one you chose will fit in your car. Sounds stupid but you need to check.
Also, the weight of it will be very important. If mrs can't lift it, thats another £300 down the drain.
This was the saving grace on the Graco one we have Chris, it weighs **** all. If it does the job for x amount of time before giving up I'll be happy, especially considering the quite low outlay on a safe 3-1 system

If money was no object then I would have preferred something more high end like Silver Cross
Old 08 March 2011, 03:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Wasn't having a dig or anything. May be the one we tried in toys r us was a 'well used' example.

I'm sure ours would be trashed in a few months anyway! rolleyes:

We just liked the silver cross as it felt really solid and was easy to fold.
Although if we had had to pay for the car seat seperately, I suspect we would have bought something else. £300 was the budget and I was sticking to it! There was also a voucher in the toy r us magazine which saved us another £15!
Old 08 March 2011, 04:13 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Wasn't having a dig or anything. May be the one we tried in toys r us was a 'well used' example.

Although if we had had to pay for the car seat seperately, I suspect we would have bought something else. £300 was the budget and I was sticking to it! There was also a voucher in the toy r us magazine which saved us another £15!
What colour? We went with the Henley.

We got that offer if we signed up to the members thing we got £60 off which the women serving us kindly told us, but no free car seat
Old 08 March 2011, 06:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Bugger, a bargain/voucher/saving that I missed

Although I have just purchased a caterpillar cuddly toy thing from Toys'r'us for £14.99 from £29.99... all 4 feet of it for baby Gilbert
Old 08 March 2011, 07:57 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

hi mate ive not read all the replys but ive got a number for a lady which lives near us and has a mamas and papas pramette with the matching baby car seat, its immaculate she said it was their "spare" lol

she wants £100 ono for the pair, its in the black and grey poker dot design and its really nice.

my parents have bought us a new one so its no use to me, bear in mind its probably sold.

Last edited by Jamo; 08 March 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Prams FFS....