Lib Dems get a kicking .....

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2011, 08:52 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Lib Dems get a kicking .....

...... in last nights by-election!!

6th and lost deposit ... Tory boy didn't do too well either, but they were never going anywhere there in all honesty.

Labour with a MASSIVE majority ... 61% of the vote!!

By any measure that is a sure fire message to the Government that at the first time of asking they will be booted out - sadly, it's too late for those sorry souls who voted the current kiddies in ... we now have to suffer the ills of a Tory led country
Old 04 March 2011, 08:56 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes as no surprise. I am very disappointed with this new lot. The cuts are happening too fast and are too severe. Seems everywhere you turn, there are redundancies.
I think the whole lot of them should be kicked into touch, and a new lot brought in.
There are quite a few candidates on here
Old 04 March 2011, 09:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes Pete , after all people from there would only otherwise vote tory or liberal as a matter of course

Mods !!
Old 04 March 2011, 09:01 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Barnsley Central has always been Labour heartland and you know that Pete you wind up merchant. If anyone other than Labour gets in there it will be on the day that Satan goes to work in a snowplough.

Still, you are right that it was a poor show for the LDs who were in second place at the last general election.
Old 04 March 2011, 09:22 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

It doesn't matter who you vote for.......The Government always wins.
Old 04 March 2011, 09:49 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

6th and lost deposit ... Tory boy didn't do too well either, but they were never going anywhere there in all honesty.

By any measure that is a sure fire message to the Government that at the first time of asking they will be booted out - sadly, it's too late for those sorry souls who voted the current kiddies in ... we now have to suffer the ills of a Tory led country
So 61% of the 36.5% of the elctorate that bothered to turn out and vote.

So summing up just 20% or 1 in 5 of those that could vote decided to vote Labour. Not so good now is it.

Chip
Old 04 March 2011, 09:52 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chip

So summing up just 20% or 1 in 5 of those that could vote decided to vote Labour. Not so good now is it.

Chip

20% is a Lewis Landslide
Old 04 March 2011, 12:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Yes Pete , after all people from there would only otherwise vote tory or liberal as a matter of course

Mods !!
The LibDems came SECOND just last year!!! So, what do you mean they wouldn't vote Liberal in any numbers?? Epic FAIL on your comment I'm afraid!!

And what's this call for "MODS!"? You pathetic article!
Old 04 March 2011, 12:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip

Chip
Using your maths, 1 in 500 who decided to vote voted Tory and 1 in 5000 voted LibDems.

That's a right smack in the teeth for the coalition .... they are destroying too much, too soon - and most people can see that.
Old 04 March 2011, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Old 04 March 2011, 01:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Very strange how UKIP'sexceptionally strong performance is being downplayed across the media-surely it should be the headline story.
Old 04 March 2011, 01:43 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Im afraid to say the Lib Dems aren't as popular as they once were in the South West.A lot of Labour voters voted tactically for them,and i cant see that happening again,while a lot of Lib Dem voters are none to happy with teaming up with the Cons.
Old 04 March 2011, 03:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well did anyone ever expect that the Labour candidate would lose in Barnsley.

What is significant of course is that the Lib Dems nearly fell off the island altogether which indicates their observed importance, or lack of it, and also there must be a very strong message to Cameron when it turns out that the UKIP candidate beat the Conservatives from their lowly position in the last election! Nothing to be proud about on Cameron's side for sure.

Les
Old 04 March 2011, 05:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
It comes as no surprise. I am very disappointed with this new lot. The cuts are happening too fast and are too severe. Seems everywhere you turn, there are redundancies.
I think the whole lot of them should be kicked into touch, and a new lot brought in.
There are quite a few candidates on here
Couldn't agree more
Old 04 March 2011, 05:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Very strange how UKIP'sexceptionally strong performance is being downplayed across the media-surely it should be the headline story.
Why? Their performance isn't so strong, it's just the Lib Dems and Tories are so weak.
Old 04 March 2011, 05:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
As for this by-election, the reason for it was the last Labour incumbent was sent to prison. Yet the voters still vote for his party!!!!! Tells you all you need to know about some voters ....

Dave
To be fair the fact he was a Labour politician had nothing to do with his going to prison. He was just greedy as many are no matter what party they represent.

I actually think not voting Labour just because the previous incumbent went to prison would be daft. There are plenty of other genuine reasons not to vote for them!

Your post just smacks of blinkered prejudice to be honest!
Old 04 March 2011, 05:30 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

surely for labour to get that % of the vote the by election must be in a council housing estate . you can envisage the election posters now
VOTE LABOUR WE WILL KEEP YOU ON YOUR SOFA lmfao
Old 04 March 2011, 06:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Vote Labour and bring back the good old days ...... they would only start cutting back when the country could afford it. Rather than killing off the recovery before it's got going!!
Old 05 March 2011, 03:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is obvious Pete that you must have started with a silver spoon and also have never been so poorly placed financially as this country is now, since you just have no idea that when you are so silly to overspend yourself into serious debt, that you have no option but to stop throwing the cash away on useless options and stop borrowing so that you can rebuild your own position even if time are hard,all due to your own fault, while you are recovering.

Going down the moneylenders and increasing your debts is the very last way out of it!

Its a very simple and logical action when you think about it.

Les
Old 05 March 2011, 11:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I cut my knees on the backstreets of Middlesbrough, Les - there were no Silver Spoons where I came from!! So, do me the honour of not suggesting otherwise.

I was bankrupt once, I know the value of money .... I also know that it costs a lot to extract yourself from debt, but that cost needs to be paid. As Labour had to pay the cost to save the country.
Old 06 March 2011, 09:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
The Labour party allowed him to stay on in the HoC after being found guilty rather than making him quit immediately thus trousering even more tax payer money in salary etc. Me thinks your response smacks more of "blinkered prejudice" than mine, especially as that byelection would have returned Illsley to office if he'd been allowed to stand again!

Dave
Let's try again. I said the fact he was a member of the Labour Party had nothing to do with his going to prison. i.e. the Labour Party did not tell him to dip his hands in the till so as to speak. Your counter argument is that they allowed him to stay in the HoC after being found guilty which still has absolutely nothing to do with him commiting the crime.

You have given no reasonable argument as to why people shouldn't vote for a different Labour politician despite the fact your intiial post implied exactly that - they shouldn't vote Labour because the previous incumbent was a thief and then implied they are thick because they are doing so.

In conclusion your implication therefore is that the Labour Party had something to do with him commiting the crime as otherwise why would people voting for another Labour candidtae be so wrong. So if you could produce your evidence for this accusation I would appreciate it otherwise I suggest you knock it on the head as what you are saying is technically libellous.
Old 06 March 2011, 01:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I cut my knees on the backstreets of Middlesbrough, Les - there were no Silver Spoons where I came from!! So, do me the honour of not suggesting otherwise.

I was bankrupt once, I know the value of money .... I also know that it costs a lot to extract yourself from debt, but that cost needs to be paid. As Labour had to pay the cost to save the country.
I had a similar upbringing too Pete so I know what you are saying well enough.

I agree with your second paragraph except that I query the final sentence.

Why did NL hjave to overborrow for all those years when they started their term in '97 with the economy in top order. Why are you saying they had to save the country unless you mean from themselves under the circumstances! How can running up a national debt of over £1 Trillion as well as the PFI's which will need to be paid off over many years in a very expensive exercise as well as a complete failure to regulate the greedy bankers be regarded as "saving the country"?

Tell us what NL actually did with all that borrowed money to in fact benefit this country and its people!

Les
Old 06 March 2011, 03:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Tell us what NL actually did with all that borrowed money to in fact benefit this country and its people!

Les
Les, let's not forget that the Tories agreed with ALL of NL spending plans and borrowings!! In fact (in an attempt to get elected) they said they would INCREASE spending!!!
Old 07 March 2011, 12:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Les, let's not forget that the Tories agreed with ALL of NL spending plans and borrowings!! In fact (in an attempt to get elected) they said they would INCREASE spending!!!
I'll bet that they were not expecting a note from the NL financial secretary to his successor to say that there was no money left!

Les
Old 07 March 2011, 12:40 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

So do you think we would be any better off under Labour then Pete? They brought the country to its knee's & blamed it on the banks - to be fair the banks are at fault & should be asset stripped & the money ploughed back into the economy, then either made public owned entities run by the civil service or closed.

All politicians are *****, even your beloved Labour party. Most of them are millionaires & out of touch with reality, as per your other thread.

Seems like you have your pants up in a bunch about the govenment, trouble is, no matter who were to be in power for the current term would have to be making some serious cuts. I'm all up for petrol protests & detest the cost, but unfortunately there really is fork-all I can do about it, its one of those given's in life:

Politicians are *****
Prices will rise
Taxes
Death

pissing & moaning isn't going to do a lot. You had your vote on GE day, Labia lost, get over it.
Old 07 March 2011, 07:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I did NOT vote for Labour ... !!!!

But I'm an intelligent person - and, as such, can see that Labour was not at fault for the worldwide crisis - some simpletons cannot see that. I understand that they want to blame someone for their bad financial choices, but, I'm sorry, Labour simply created a bouyant economy for some to make their wealth.

Some made hay while the sun shone, some sat on their 4rses and complained about things ... as they are complaining now - about missed chances, missed gifts, missed opportunities. Like it was someone elses fault they didn't make anything of themselves.

Those who did, did ... those who couldn't, didn't.

Guess who are the ones moaning about Labours 13 years of plenty?? Yes, SPOT ON!! The Loooooooosers!!

Last edited by pslewis; 07 March 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07 March 2011, 10:17 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

You didn't answer my question, would we be better off under Labour now?
Old 08 March 2011, 02:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He won't have an answer for that.

Les