Thanks Tories!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2011, 06:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Thanks Tories!!!!

Higher Rate Tax threshold dropping.

750,000 more people to be dragged into 40% Tax!

I'm cheesed off at the 50% rate myself ... but, still, the Tories are penalising improving yourself! Even at the realtively low pay levels of £42,000!! Shocking!!

You voted for it ... I hope you are satisfied?

Those who are better off include the single non working mother!!
Old 31 January 2011, 06:37 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this post has given me great satisfaction knowing my area manager will get screwed over he recieves NOT EARNS more than 42k nice to know him and 749999 others will now be in the same boat as the rest of us WORSE OFF shame they cant bring in a 99% tax bracket for the bankers bonuses , the defecit would soon be payed off then
Old 31 January 2011, 07:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shame there isnt one of those that the tories did, clothes tax, tax on restaurant/take away food, 2.5% increase in vat (and no not this time around either!), plenty more taxes they hit us with, doesnt matter which government but the condems are putting us into a deep recession, thats for sure

Tony
Old 31 January 2011, 07:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Dave - tax receipts went up as the economy was booming, as well you know!!

Everyone was better off, everyone moved house, everyone bought cars/TV's etc.

So, of course, the Tax take was higher!!!

You are attempting to use smoke and mirrors and you are above that!

The Tories are about to send us to hell in a handcart ... they haven't a clue, the little Eton Silver-Spoon Boyz!

We need real men, for a real problem!

Last edited by pslewis; 31 January 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 31 January 2011, 07:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Dave - tax receipts went up as the economy was booming, as well you know!!

Everyone was better off, everyone moved house, everyone bought cars/TV's etc.

So, of course, the Tax take was higher!!!

You are attempting to use smoke and mirrors and you are above that!
It was a credit/asset boom pslewis....your smoke and mirrors metaphor would be more apt to describe Labours boom years; all borrowed money. By definition unsustainable and not based on the REAL economy growing and generating REAL wealth.
Old 31 January 2011, 07:34 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

What are the thresholds dropping to?
Old 31 January 2011, 07:46 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Ciaran
What are the thresholds dropping to?
I'm with Pete on this one. Take a look at this. Giving with one hand and taking with the other. Sneaky buggers

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm
Old 31 January 2011, 07:47 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

£42k relatively low pay? Sod off Pete.

Just sod off.
Old 31 January 2011, 07:57 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm cheesed off at the 50% rate myself
Thank **** the Tories for abolished this rate
Old 31 January 2011, 07:58 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

To be fair it is a complete joke. Now more than half my wages in 40% perfect that will teach me to have a good job. All I need now is intrest rates to rocket to realy ruin my year
Old 31 January 2011, 08:00 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
£42k relatively low pay? Sod off Pete.

Just sod off.
Just ignore him mate. Its always been a tactic of his to fish for a bite using salaries. By his reckoning, the average wage is £50k

The fact that a £42k salary brings you into the 40% tax band is proof in itself that it is not a low wage
Old 31 January 2011, 08:09 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by rossyboy

The fact that a £42k salary brings you into the 40% tax band is proof in itself that it is not a low wage
If you look at the link, over 35k brings you into 40% tax band.
Seems a bit unfair that someone earning up to 150k is in the same tax band.
Old 31 January 2011, 08:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You need to add the allowance to that £35,000 .... gives you something like £42,000.

Which, really, is a low wage!

I saw (on TV) a woman with 6 children and 1 on the way who was getting £25,000 a year from our taxes ..... then had her bills paid, rent paid and free everything else - I would say that she was (if working) on the equivalent of around £45,000 Gross.

Therefore, £42,000 is not a high wage ... and shouldn't attract 40%!!
Old 31 January 2011, 08:28 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

You need to add on the tax free personal allowance of £7k ish to that £35k. You wont pay tax at 40% until you earn that £42k

Thats why Pete stated £42k in his original email.
Old 31 January 2011, 08:29 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

beat me to it....
Old 31 January 2011, 08:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

a few of years ago a newspaper interviewed a couple of city bankers/lawyers and the general consensous between them was that the average UK wage was about 75K

so a bonus of 200K is only just over double the average wage, -- not much really, they are usually in work by 7.00am
Old 31 January 2011, 08:52 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Higher Rate Tax threshold dropping.

750,000 more people to be dragged into 40% Tax!

:
And the personal allowance amount is rising making the other 29 million tax payers better off as well you know. So tax the better off and give it to the less well off, isnt that what Labour were supposed to do Pete.

As for me , I too am a 40% tax payer and I have never had it so good

Chip
Old 31 January 2011, 09:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

LOL at this thread. You are all arguing over income tax when the real problem is that we are about to doble dip into Recession 2 The Sequel thanks to these Tory idiots and hence many won't have a job to argue about their 40% tax band over.
Old 31 January 2011, 09:02 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
LOL at this thread. You are all arguing over income tax when the real problem is that we are about to doble dip into Recession 2 The Sequel thanks to these Tory idiots and hence many won't have a job to argue about their 40% tax band over.
And your solution to this Labour mess is?
Old 31 January 2011, 09:04 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I saw (on TV) a woman with 6 children and 1 on the way who was getting £25,000 a year from our taxes ..... then had her bills paid, rent paid and free everything else - I would say that she was (if working) on the equivalent of around £45,000 Gross.

!

And whose fault is that then Pete?

Chip
Old 31 January 2011, 09:14 PM
CSW_Scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
You need to add on the tax free personal allowance of £7k ish to that £35k. You wont pay tax at 40% until you earn that £42k

Thats why Pete stated £42k in his original email.
It doesn't get added, the first 7k is tax free, you pay 20% on anything between 7 and 35k and then 40% on anything up to 150k. After that you pay 50% on anything over 150K.

So it affects 700,000 people to the value of £600 approximately! And anyone that was already at the old threshold pays it earlier costing them £600 too.
Old 31 January 2011, 09:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
And your solution to this Labour mess is?
You want an honest answer. Well for a start not putting VAT up at the same time fuel is rising and at the same time you are cutting student grants and at the same time you are hacking away at the public sector.

Why? Because it shatters consumer and consequently business confidence at a time when any recovery was already a fragile one. To be honest the 2.5% rise in VAT will not see the rise in revenue the government think it will as there is no more money in people's pockets so they just won't spend the extra becuase they can't.

No, if you want to cut how about pulling our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan immediately, it's America's war, let them fight it. Stop all overseas aid. Stop taking asylum seekers ... oh dear it is against human rights, well tough. Cut benefits to a bare minimum and make those without a job work for that benefit. If they really wnat to get tough that is the sort of thing they need to do not take the easy option of crippling the recovery by putting VAT up and playing the tough man. They won't do it because it would be political suicide and their jobs and power are more important than the country.

Oh and for your information this isn't just Labour's mess. I am f**king sick of people like you telling everyone that. THERE WAS A F**KING WORLD RECESSION!!! Sure Brown and Labour didn;t help with the position they put us in, but it is not JUST their fault and if it gives you some sick crumb of comfort to think it is then you need to get real!!!

This lot are in danger of making Brown look like a f**king hero. Osbourne is a goon of the frst order and you can only cut back if you keep the economy growing, it's a basic rule of not even econimics, but comon sense yet he seems devoid of any of that like most politicians!!

F**k me this place is a joke sometimes as are half the f**king posters!!!
Old 31 January 2011, 09:25 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie
It doesn't get added, the first 7k is tax free, you pay 20% on anything between 7 and 35k and then 40% on anything up to 150k. After that you pay 50% on anything over 150K.

So it affects 700,000 people to the value of £600 approximately! And anyone that was already at the old threshold pays it earlier costing them £600 too.
I thought that was the way it worked. I just deleted my post as I wasn't sure when two of them pounced to say it worked different to the way I was thinking

You want an honest answer. Well for a start not putting VAT up at the same time fuel is rising and at the same time you are cutting student grants and at the same time you are hacking away at the public sector.

Why? Because it shatters consumer and consequently business confidence at a time when any recovery was already a fragile one. To be honest the 2.5% rise in VAT will not see the rise in revenue the government think it will as there is no more money in people's pockets so they just won't spend the extra becuase they can't.

No, if you want to cut how about pulling our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan immediately, it's America's war, let them fight it. Stop all overseas aid. Stop taking asylum seekers ... oh dear it is against human rights, well tough. Cut benefits to a bare minimum and make those without a job work for that benefit. If they really wnat to get tough that is the sort of thing they need to do not take the easy option of crippling the recovery by putting VAT up and playing the tough man. They won't do it because it would be political suicide and their jobs and power are more important than the country.

Oh and for your information this isn't just Labour's mess. I am f**king sick of people like you telling everyone that. THERE WAS A F**KING WORLD RECESSION!!! Sure Brown and Labour didn;t help with the position they put us in, but it is not JUST their fault and if it gives you some sick crumb of comfort to think it is then you need to get real!!!

This lot are in danger of making Brown look like a f**king hero. Osbourne is a goon of the frst order and you can only cut back if you keep the economy growing, it's a basic rule of not even econimics, but comon sense yet he seems devoid of any of that like most politicians!!

They sure are picking easy targets and the wrong ones. Looks like working class is getting it in the neck and johnny rich is laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 31 January 2011, 09:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
and I have never had it so good

Chip
I suppose you blame Labour for that too!!!!!
Old 31 January 2011, 09:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Really, we are doomed with that dozy thick mummies boy Osbourne ..... he has £millions in the bank of inherited money - so has Cameron - and every one of the other Tory cronies in the cabinet.

Do they know what it's like to do a days work? Do they FKCU!!
Old 31 January 2011, 09:48 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
a few of years ago a newspaper interviewed a couple of city bankers/lawyers and the general consensous between them was that the average UK wage was about 75K

so a bonus of 200K is only just over double the average wage, -- not much really, they are usually in work by 7.00am
Is that a joke?

75 k is NOT the average wage.

Getting to work by 7am means you 'deserve' a 200 k bonus? I'm not saying they don't 'deserve' it but such a rationalization is absurd.
Old 31 January 2011, 10:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I think he was saying that they were living in a world of high salaries and therefore had a certain perspective.

I guess I am the same ... tonight I was talking to a Technical Author who is on £140,000 a year (for a 4 day week).

So, to me, in my world .... £42,000 is a very small wage for anyone to live on.

Different perspectives, different viewpoints.
Old 31 January 2011, 10:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Why is it always the government that gets blamed for everything ?

The one constant is the population, I suppose I see it like diets, you can call people "Big Boned", you can blame hormones or make any multitude of reasons why someone is fat, the basic premise is that calories taken in is greater than calories used and you put on weight, reverse it and you lose weight, same with the government, they can only work with what they have, garbage in, garbage out and when you take into consideration some of their poor decisions you can see why its a double whammy.

I agree with F1 as well, he has it bang on and I do think that the Tories are makign a better stab of it, as a country we need some home truths, we need a kick up the **** to get back to work, to not sponge off others for a living and this is why we are about to get our ***** kicked globally in business by the Chinese and Indians, we may "think" we are better than them but they are hungry for success, they dont carry any dead wood and the people are used to working very hard for a living.

You could put any goverment in no 10, a dream team of the worlds best politicians, economists, strategists and whatever and they would still end up with the same conclusion, that we are up **** creek.
Old 31 January 2011, 10:02 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Quick Reply: Thanks Tories!!!!