Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No meat!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2011, 12:01 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default No meat!

My wife tells me that meat has gone so madly expensive we are having lentil curry tonight possibly not that much meat on offer for the near future either

Mind you,she said all food prices have gone mad.Never been to the shops so I have no idea.

How come every flipping,blooming thing from petrol to phone bills,household bills and my lovely meat has gone so expensive when everyone is being made redundant can't buy a house or afford to run a car?

These are really really odd times.I love my beef might well be a Good life job that someone mentioned in a thread
Old 29 January 2011, 12:14 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, all prices are going silly. Thankfully with a bit of effort I can buy veg straight from the farmers round here and the freezer has plenty of meat in it. Just been told I have a full roe deer carcass on its way to me for nowt.
Old 29 January 2011, 12:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get your airgun out , plenty rabbits in the fields !
Old 29 January 2011, 12:32 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least she tells you she is swapping what your eating some of the takeaways near where i work got caught red handed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-12296720
Old 29 January 2011, 12:34 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yep, just a few odd things from supermarket and it's £40 gone. Med size pack of Cheddar £4.99 wtf.......

£20 of petrol in the car and it's still on quarter full.

dl
Old 29 January 2011, 04:02 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Buy stuff from your butcher that is in season and it's cheap.

At the minute that would be, guinea fowl, hare, turkey, venison, grouse, mallard, partridge, rabbit, wood pigeon, pork, probably a few more.

Loads of fish in season now as well, mackerel and mussels being two that are ridiculously cheap at the minute.
Old 29 January 2011, 04:25 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The weekly shop has gone up in our house too. Although we have made the effort to reduce the cost of our lunch at work. Pack of ham, bag of 99p salad (lasts 2 days) loaf of bread and butter. A few quid and it lasts the week.

I know Greggs isn't the most healthy but you can get a ham sub roll for £1.45 and a belgian bun (for the sugar) which is 55p. £10 will last me a week.
Old 29 January 2011, 04:44 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only thing that gets me is i eat healthy yet wind up paying a lot more than those that eat junk.

And they wonder why obesity is a problem.
Old 29 January 2011, 04:53 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

In fairness, Quorn mince isn't that bad in a lasagna type dish. Don't get me wrong, I would always chose real meat but just thought I'd throw in my tuppence-worth as it doesn't have to be nearly as bad as people make out
Old 29 January 2011, 05:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
My wife tells me that meat has gone so madly expensive we are having lentil curry tonight possibly not that much meat on offer for the near future either

Mind you,she said all food prices have gone mad.Never been to the shops so I have no idea.

How come every flipping,blooming thing from petrol to phone bills,household bills and my lovely meat has gone so expensive when everyone is being made redundant can't buy a house or afford to run a car?

These are really really odd times.I love my beef might well be a Good life job that someone mentioned in a thread
Me and the Mrs have noticed this too the last two times we've been to Asdas food shopping. Normally we get 2 weeks shopping for the pair of us for about £80 but it's cost £92 or so the last couple of times. Still not bad considering some spend £100+ a week somehow
Old 29 January 2011, 05:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Only thing that gets me is i eat healthy yet wind up paying a lot more than those that eat junk.

And they wonder why obesity is a problem.
That is an extremely good point that is addressed in the documentary Food Inc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286537/

If you get the chance watch it, it isn't one of those uber biased American things, but presents a set of facts about the American food industry that is quite frightening, one of those being they deliberately make junk food cheap to keep the meat industry happy.

Although it is about America many parallels can be drawn with the UK too.
Old 29 January 2011, 07:00 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by chris-boris
In fairness, Quorn mince isn't that bad in a lasagna type dish. Don't get me wrong, I would always chose real meat but just thought I'd throw in my tuppence-worth as it doesn't have to be nearly as bad as people make out
A better option yet is probably to make meals with less meat than usual, and make the rest up with kidney beans, butter beans, haricot beans (or even lentils). Very good sources of protein and very low fat, but don't quite have all of the right vitamins and minerals that meat do, so always better to have both together.
Old 29 January 2011, 07:42 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not only has the price of the meat gone up but the quality of the meat has gone down. I was looking at lamb in asda the other day and there were 3 packs of lamb shoulder with ferking great cysts on the meat The last thing you want to be eating is a slimey green cyst that smells like death. Also I see a lot more glands being left in these days as well.

I guess that is what happens when you employ chimps on minimum wage to butcher instead of people who know what they are doing.
Old 29 January 2011, 07:50 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Not only has the price of the meat gone up but the quality of the meat has gone down. I was looking at lamb in asda the other day and there were 3 packs of lamb shoulder with ferking great cysts on the meat The last thing you want to be eating is a slimey green cyst that smells like death. Also I see a lot more glands being left in these days as well.

I guess that is what happens when you employ chimps on minimum wage to butcher instead of people who know what they are doing.
Reason why I get all my meat from a local butcher, supermarket meat is very poor by comparision IMO and not neccessarily any cheaper.
Old 29 January 2011, 07:53 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Go to your local butcher. Cheaper and better quality.
Old 29 January 2011, 07:53 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do i sense a bit of hostility there kot

But you are right of course.

F1 cheers will have to grab it for a watch, there is a similar one involving steroids, ok totally different league but like food inc really opens your eyes as to how the government and food/pharmaceutical companies are all in bed together.

Bit like them trying to clamp down on herbal supplements, only because they don't want people staying healthy, afterall that doesn't make money.

It's a messed up world.
Old 29 January 2011, 08:44 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Mr P used to be a butcher back on the days before he hit the spanners, he has commented several times lately at how poor the cuts are and the price is just stupid for the quality, or lack of!

I'm not a big meat fan anyway, but I still buy it, reluctantly though I might add.
Old 29 January 2011, 09:16 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingofturds

Are you serious about the cysts mate? I'm no expert but I'd imagine that would make you pretty ill? I'd have pointed it out the manager
Old 29 January 2011, 09:19 PM
oobyJu
Scooby Regular

although a meat eater it's true that lentils are very good for you do the same job as meat without all the health risks and are really the only way to feed the whole planet adequately so i'd hang on to her mate she seems to want you to live longer lol
Old 29 January 2011, 09:40 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Well,the lentil curry was corking bladdy hot

I love fish,thanks for the pointers on stuff in season.

£15 for sunday joint.Think Lamb= price of gold,free range chicken £12

Don't get me wrong,love to go to butchers but aren't they a lot more expensive again??

And we do eat super healthy,wife is an ace cook and would make meals for a few nights from one joint plus veg etc

She just objects to the mad prices
Old 29 January 2011, 09:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

This morning....

2 large pork chops,
1/2kg lean steak mince,
7 spicy lamb kebabs,
4 chicken breasts,
6 rashers dry cured smoked bacon.

£15 at local butchers.

Another £40 at Asda for a load of frozen veg, some (large) salmon fillets, 15 pork sausages, 8pts milk, 2lt soya milk, 1 wholemeal loaf, cleaning products and a few odds'n'sods.

£55 for the week for a family of 4, fresh meat, frozen veg (better than fresh), 3 meals a day.
Old 29 January 2011, 09:50 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

£55! I do £100 a week for 3 of us!
Old 29 January 2011, 09:58 PM
dazh66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Ditto, missus shops online with Tesco and never below £100. This week was £110 inc £4.50 delivery
Old 29 January 2011, 10:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davyboy
Similar here, about £80, but that's just for 2 of us.

I do like a nice bit of Fillet Steak though, and King Prawns
Old 29 January 2011, 10:02 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

if us brits owe so much and america owe 3 trillion portugal spain greece owe 50 quidzillion austrailia and japan turkey and a million other countries owe money to who ? lets all shake on it and call it quits !

iain
Old 29 January 2011, 10:07 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazh66
Ditto, missus shops online with Tesco and never below £100. This week was £110 inc £4.50 delivery
Same here, I never manage to spend less the £80 on us four.

I agree about the frozen veg, the fresh stuff never lasts, and it's much healthier to eat frozen than stuff that's been left wallowing for days. I used to make soup with the stuff that wasn't used, but I only have enough plastic pots to put the stuff in to freeze it.
Old 29 January 2011, 10:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
This morning....

2 large pork chops,
1/2kg lean steak mince,
7 spicy lamb kebabs,
4 chicken breasts,
6 rashers dry cured smoked bacon.

£15 at local butchers.

Another £40 at Asda for a load of frozen veg, some (large) salmon fillets, 15 pork sausages, 8pts milk, 2lt soya milk, 1 wholemeal loaf, cleaning products and a few odds'n'sods.

£55 for the week for a family of 4, fresh meat, frozen veg (better than fresh), 3 meals a day.
Not just me and Nat that can manage on a reasonable shopping budget then.

Was reading a paper at work which compared a typical basket of groceries. Asda one was about £8.71 and the Waitrose one was £14 odd for the same stuff. That could explain a lot on a full shop over say couple days of groceries...
Old 29 January 2011, 10:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The mince cooks up into either a chilli or bolognese which feeds us for two days. The 4 chicken breasts are made into a couple of kievs for one day, maybe a tarragon cream sauce for the other 2. Had the kebabs tonight, probably salmon tomorrow. Pork chops grilled with a little garlic and topped with Stilton, mmmm ! She and the kids have cereal for brekkie and we have plenty in. I have a fry up during the week. Lunch is usually a sandwich of some kind. We almost NEVER throw away any food, that would irk me dreadfully.
Old 29 January 2011, 11:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The mince cooks up into either a chilli or bolognese which feeds us for two days. The 4 chicken breasts are made into a couple of kievs for one day, maybe a tarragon cream sauce for the other 2. Had the kebabs tonight, probably salmon tomorrow. Pork chops grilled with a little garlic and topped with Stilton, mmmm ! She and the kids have cereal for brekkie and we have plenty in. I have a fry up during the week. Lunch is usually a sandwich of some kind. We almost NEVER throw away any food, that would irk me dreadfully.
Nope us neither. Almost losing everythig in 2008 made us very aware of what stuff costs so we try to not waste anything, even now

Quick Reply: No meat!