Insurance Help on Rented Flat

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2011, 01:25 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Help on Rented Flat

Hi all

Hopefully someone can help where we stand. My wife rents out her old flat and the toilet leaked (mains water) all over the toilet and hall area carpet.

The tennant has pulled up the carpet and dumped the underlay.

Her buildings insurance does not cover carpet, and her tennants contents are saying because it was not laid by the tennant, they aren't liable either (NBS insurance btw).

Now - it transpires today after I went to get the carpet to dry it out, that the tennant has actually CUT a big chunk off to get it up!! And to top it off she's gone and chucked it away with the underlay.

My wife is sorting the cistern with a new one now so it doesn't happen again (though this had been a drip which was repaired by British Gas in the morning, the fix then failed and then caused all this damage and they had to go back to rectify).

So two things really, since the tennants agreement states "To keep the interior of the property in a good and clean state and condition and not damage or injure the Property" and she has plainly damaged the carpet by cutting it that this would make her and therefore her insurance liable? (either that or claimable from her deposit).

Secondly, surely the work of the British Gas (Dynorod Plumbing - who my previous experiences with on our own home have been completely useless) engineer which caused all this means my wife also has the potential to claim against them?

Anyone got thoughts or know where we stand?

Many Thanks
Neil
Old 28 January 2011, 01:31 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

tenant insurance wont cover is as she will be contence only i was told by our insurance when we had flood that if you get a house turn it up side down what ever drops is contence what ever stays like flooring is building its hard work.
Old 28 January 2011, 01:58 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yeah but the wifes buildings insurance says carpets is contents!

Plus theres the issue that the tennant willfully damaged the carpet without asking?!
Old 28 January 2011, 02:02 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

yeah there a pain the **** insurances none of them will pay if they dont have to, yeah tenant shouldnt off ripped carpet up unless it was that wet it run the risk of give her health problems with the damp but the way your saying its not like a full on flood i would ask her to pay and if not at end of year hold deposit back take some photos of what she has done
Old 28 January 2011, 02:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who fitted the carpets? All houses I've rented in the past, the carpets have been marked on the 'check' list on the tenancy agreement.

From what I've read I'd be chasing british gas myself. If the 'flood' and resultant damage was caused by the failure of one of their repairs (BG coming back to repair it is an admission of fault imo) then its down to them to sort out the damage.

Also the tenant shouldn't have touched the carpet and should have left it for your wife to decide what to do.

all imho of course

Last edited by BLU; 28 January 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 28 January 2011, 03:24 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

And your opinion is exactly what mine is lol!
Old 28 January 2011, 03:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Hi all

Hopefully someone can help where we stand. My wife rents out her old flat and the toilet leaked (mains water) all over the toilet and hall area carpet.

The tennant has pulled up the carpet and dumped the underlay.

Her buildings insurance does not cover carpet, and her tennants contents are saying because it was not laid by the tennant, they aren't liable either (NBS insurance btw).

Now - it transpires today after I went to get the carpet to dry it out, that the tennant has actually CUT a big chunk off to get it up!! And to top it off she's gone and chucked it away with the underlay.

My wife is sorting the cistern with a new one now so it doesn't happen again (though this had been a drip which was repaired by British Gas in the morning, the fix then failed and then caused all this damage and they had to go back to rectify).

So two things really, since the tennants agreement states "To keep the interior of the property in a good and clean state and condition and not damage or injure the Property" and she has plainly damaged the carpet by cutting it that this would make her and therefore her insurance liable? (either that or claimable from her deposit).

Secondly, surely the work of the British Gas (Dynorod Plumbing - who my previous experiences with on our own home have been completely useless) engineer which caused all this means my wife also has the potential to claim against them?

Anyone got thoughts or know where we stand?

Many Thanks
Neil
do you have Landlords insurance, or did you leave it as tha same when you lived there
Old 28 January 2011, 05:32 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

No she didn't realise she needed it. Buildings insurance is forced on her by the local authority so she has no choice in that and thought the tennants contents cover would cover the rest.
Old 28 January 2011, 11:42 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

The tenant's insurers won't pay for it - it's deliberate damage, and that assumes there's a liability cover in the first place.

It's a contractual issue rather than an insirance issue. Take it off her deposit.