Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Care of the elderly - interesting read

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2011, 04:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Care of the elderly - interesting read

I nearly wept with anger watching the CCTV secret filming of a care worker eating the meal of an elderly lady right in front of her. The old lady was very hungry and could do nothing but watch. http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-15063553.html

This seems well thought out and a way forward http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2194213.html
Old 26 January 2011, 05:09 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Do you spend ALL day trawling the news lol

But I agree, the treatment of our elderly is not great and could definitely be improved
Old 26 January 2011, 05:14 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

The elderly have spent their entire working lives slaving away for this country be it in employment or armed services. They should be treated with the respect and decency they deserve. NOT humiliated and sometimes made to live in poverty.
The Government keep moaning about who is to pay for the care of the elderly. Clearly, The elderly have paid all their damn lives to the government. Time for pay back.
Old 26 January 2011, 05:15 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Camoscooby
Do you spend ALL day trawling the news lol
Yup when not 'takin care' of your momma.
Old 26 January 2011, 05:19 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Yup when not 'takin care' of your momma.
You wish.
Old 27 January 2011, 11:27 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Frosticles
The elderly have spent their entire working lives slaving away for this country be it in employment or armed services. They should be treated with the respect and decency they deserve. NOT humiliated and sometimes made to live in poverty.
The Government keep moaning about who is to pay for the care of the elderly. Clearly, The elderly have paid all their damn lives to the government. Time for pay back.
Sadly, theses people have only paid all their lives for the services that the Government provides on a daily basis.

If we want to ensure that we have sufficient provision for our now greatly extended lives after retirement, I'm afraid the tax burden needs to increase.

This will only get worse, the current system cannot possibly pay for it.

The payment for care is not necessarily the greatest issue though, it's the quality of care. That is a far greater challenge.

Geezer
Old 27 January 2011, 11:40 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

God knows . I doubt this is a regular occurrence tho
Old 27 January 2011, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I nearly wept with anger watching the CCTV secret filming of a care worker eating the meal of an elderly lady right in front of her. The old lady was very hungry and could do nothing but watch. http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-15063553.html

This seems well thought out and a way forward http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2194213.html
Thats an awful story, and it has as much right as anything else to be mentioned on this forum.

Difficult to understand that so called carer's behaviour and I hope she get a stiff punishment for her incredibly selfish actions

Les
Old 27 January 2011, 11:55 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Only because the whole benefits system is one great Ponzi scheme and it's now *creaking*. Unless government (local and national) cuts back drastically then it'll all come crashing down. Then the elderly really would be up **** creek!
Yes, I think that's a fair point.

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Absolutely agree. As shown by Paul's link above! Not sure exactly how you get more of the *quality* back into the system except to take a lot of the *business* side of things out of the system. As has been said, you pay your whole life so that you will get looked after when you retire!

Dave
You pay your whole life so that the country can function, the provision for retirement is pretty small to be honest. Long term care of an ever growing population is a real challenge, and the current system is simply not set up for it.

How about instigating 'Carousel' from Logan's run?

Geezer
Old 27 January 2011, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Yes, I think that's a fair point.

You pay your whole life so that the country can function, the provision for retirement is pretty small to be honest. Long term care of an ever growing population is a real challenge, and the current system is simply not set up for it.

How about instigating 'Carousel' from Logan's run?

Geezer
Well I would not joke about that personally.

I think that such a system of "disposal" could well be instigated in the future by politicians who would be exempt of course.

Les
Old 27 January 2011, 12:17 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Sadly, theses people have only paid all their lives for the services that the Government provides on a daily basis.

If we want to ensure that we have sufficient provision for our now greatly extended lives after retirement, I'm afraid the tax burden needs to increase.

This will only get worse, the current system cannot possibly pay for it.

The payment for care is not necessarily the greatest issue though, it's the quality of care. That is a far greater challenge.

Geezer
Well we can start be reducing overseas aid and put a genuine cap on immigration, not for skilled migrants but the ones with no skills to offer but come to sponge off our society and contribute nothing.

This will reduce the strain on the social services and the NHS so the elderly who have previously contributed and made sacrifices for the good of the nation to be properly cared for.
Old 27 January 2011, 04:12 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Well we can start be reducing overseas aid and put a genuine cap on immigration, not for skilled migrants but the ones with no skills to offer but come to sponge off our society and contribute nothing.

This will reduce the strain on the social services and the NHS so the elderly who have previously contributed and made sacrifices for the good of the nation to be properly cared for.
I don't think people should get so hung up on things like overseas aid, immigrants etc. In the great scheme of things, they don't make that much of a dent in the national finances.

When the pension age was set, life expectancy in the UK mean that very few people lived more than a few years afterwards.

The aged population is now huge, life expectancy has increased by over 20 years, and the problem is getting worse.

The incidence of dementia gets more and more, and people simply cannot look after their parents as they have to work themselves. It is a very bad situation.

I still think the only real answer is to expect people to save for this during their working lives, sad as that may be. If working people contributed towards a fund, then proper state run care homes could be provided that would be regulated.

It will never happen though, everyone seems to think that we should pay less tax and that the government can just magic top notch services out of thin air......

That's not to say that the government makes the most efficient use the tax it collects, but at the end of the day........

Geezer
Old 27 January 2011, 04:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap

Ironically many such workers end up working in the care system. dl
Old 27 January 2011, 05:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

...Whilst back home they wouldnt even contemplate putting thier granny / mum in a nursing home !!
Old 27 January 2011, 06:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I heard part of a programme recently about the UK's inefficient pension providers. However the gist was that because pension funds were split between so many providers who all took a hefty management fee that you ended up with very little bang for your buck. They compared the UK system with another country - Holland I think - where there was just one big pension pool which was managed efficiently and you ended up with a much bigger pension for the same contribution that you would make in the UK. And it was BIG extra. dl
Old 27 January 2011, 07:38 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah - tragic case
How could anyone be so low, poor old dear went to went with a rumbling belly and starved to death basically.

Headline news over here in N.I obvoiusly
Old 28 January 2011, 02:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The government is just me and you. I think people could do more to look after their own parents. Not in every case, but more than we do.