mother jailed for restaining junkie daughter

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2011, 10:05 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mother jailed for restaining junkie daughter

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonli...g_to_cure.aspx

How long before the laws are revised and judges use common sense in cases like this.

I would do everything in my power to stop my daughter taking drugs and risking killing herself.

You see pi$$ed up chavs fighting and kicking hell out of each other in the streets and they are let off with cautions or small fines - yet people trying to get a girl off of drugs are jailed for restraining her - COMMON SENSE must previal!

Attitudes need to change towards those who abuse substances, they seem to be portrayed as victims and unable to help themselves

Having spent some time in hospital over the last 24 months i have seen no end of alchies and druggies being repeatedly treated like victims and with kids gloves and staff joking about them being back in again. You see resources, time and people just there to get these wasters back to health so they can go do the same thing time and time again.

Yes provide clinics and help to get off and stay off but do not allow junkies/alchiese to keep doing the damage to themselves and others by their choice and actions - enforce their rehab, not mollycoddle them and treat them as victims!

substance abuse is not a disease, it is a lifestyle choice and is costing us all dearly and those that take a stand end up in jail...

Rant over, soapbox tucked away...for now...
Old 25 January 2011, 10:12 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"During the struggle Tabitha was repeatedly complaining she could not breathe and Francklin could be heard threatening to hit her hard and told her mother to leave because that was what he was going to do.

Tabitha was begging them to stop hurting her. At one stage she managed to get free and grabbed a knife but was disarmed.

At one point a belt was used round her neck and her arms were tied behind her back. She suffered bruises, headache and a sore jaw Police found Tabitha crying uncontrollably."

er... that's not quite how I'd do it ..
Old 25 January 2011, 10:17 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
"During the struggle Tabitha was repeatedly complaining she could not breathe and Francklin could be heard threatening to hit her hard and told her mother to leave because that was what he was going to do.

Tabitha was begging them to stop hurting her. At one stage she managed to get free and grabbed a knife but was disarmed.

At one point a belt was used round her neck and her arms were tied behind her back. She suffered bruises, headache and a sore jaw Police found Tabitha crying uncontrollably."

er... that's not quite how I'd do it ..
Maybe so but are you telling me you would not use the force required to stop your child for leaving buying drugs and shooting up???

She suffered bruises headache and a sore jaw and was crying - not good but better that that a system full of heroin of unknown strength and purity from a dirty shared needle - IMHO

Go out and watch your local high-street on a Friday night and watch men and women battering hell out of each other and see what punishment they get - not likely jail!

Me, i would do whatever it takes!
Old 25 January 2011, 10:18 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

+ 1

I completely agree with you mate

I lived with a friend for a short time a few years ago and her brother was a heroin addict. I have seen and experienced first hand how addiction can destroy a family. He stole from both them and me to feed this addiction and given more 'chances' by his family than most would be prepared to give.

He was found dead in the house by his sister (my friend) one morning and it understandably destroyed a large part of her personality. I, being the last one to speak to him, had to give a statement at his inquest which is not the most pleasant experience of my life.

My best friend is/was addicted to cocaine and in the space of 10 months as a result of his addiction has;

# Lost his job
# Getting divorced
# Lost his house
# Written off both his and his Mrs' car
# Spent 6 months in prison for fraud
# Gone bankrupt
# Developed some 'mental health' issues
# Is currently residing in the basement of his parents house, still jobless

I have seen first hand the affects of drug taking on a family and the parents should be commended. Nothing else.
Old 25 January 2011, 10:21 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Maybe so but are you telling me you would not use the force required to stop your child for leaving buying drugs and shooting up???

She suffered bruises headache and a sore jaw and was crying - not good but better that that a system full of heroin of unknown strength and purity from a dirty shared needle - IMHO

Go out and watch your local high-street on a Friday night and watch men and women battering hell out of each other and see what punishment they get - not likely jail!

Me, i would do whatever it takes!
You would need to keep her calm, use force, but controlled force. Threatening you hurt her ?? sock in her mouth ?

Come on, I agree with the stopping them getting to the drugs, but you have to be careful how you do it ..
Old 25 January 2011, 10:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You would need to keep her calm, use force, but controlled force. Threatening you hurt her ?? sock in her mouth ?

Come on, I agree with the stopping them getting to the drugs, but you have to be careful how you do it ..
Have you been in close contact with a junkie who needs to score - they can be aggressive, impulsive, irrational and plain dangerous to others and themselves. Not everything goes to plan and by the book.
Old 25 January 2011, 10:30 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Have you been in close contact with a junkie who needs to score - they can be aggressive, impulsive, irrational and plain dangerous to others and themselves. Not everything goes to plan and by the book.
Absolutely.

And if this family has gone through half of what my friends one did, then the option of diplomacy and tact has long since passed. They lie and beg and its entirely understandable (if not condoneable) that the parents actions may have been become a little agressive when attempting to deal with the situation.

Its only when your parents stop caring and trying to help you that you are truly lost...........
Old 25 January 2011, 10:32 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately when I visited kent a while back my illusions of the beautiful place my dad described to me when he used to go there were shattered. Just seems like some drug infested rat hole with East european fonzie wannabes peddaling drugs on corners.
Old 25 January 2011, 10:52 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Unfortunately when I visited kent a while back my illusions of the beautiful place my dad described to me when he used to go there were shattered. Just seems like some drug infested rat hole with East european fonzie wannabes peddaling drugs on corners.
Despite the shooting in Dover a few nights ago and 3 stabbings in Folkestone yesterday, its not that bad.............................no wait..................yes it is..................................

But to be fair the Refugees are too busy kicking back enjoying the English lifestyle and have no real need to commit crime, its actually the locals that are responsible for most of the crime
Old 25 January 2011, 11:15 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I too have seen what it is like first hand what junkies are like when they need a score.

The ex's brother was a heroin addict and so was his g/f. They lived in their own little world and they didn't care about anyone or anything else outside of their little bubble.

The g/f once took my handbag after a night out, emptied out everything she tought was worth nabbing.
That included some condoms, a glass nail file a few £ left over from that evening and a packet of scampi fries

It would happen all the time. So much so that the ex moved in to his nans house to live there. It wasnt worth even bringing it up with them as they would just scowl at you.

On the mornings you knew they needed to score they were evil, arguing and physically fighting with each other. They would go out and come back an out later for 'a sleep'.

If it were my son or daughter in the situation I would do everything physically possible to stop them from doing it.
I know for a fact they would thank me for it one day.
Old 25 January 2011, 11:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They might have been heavy handed but they dont deserve to be jailed.

A mother should have the right to restrain her child from doing something that it should not be doing and which would undoubtedly cause harm to it.

Like Paul Hapgood I would do all I could to stop my child from getting hold of drugs and would also do my best to get the pusher arrested as well.

Her daughter is obviously uncontrollable and I certainly don't blame the mother and the ex boyfriend for their actions even if they did have to use force.

A graphic illustration of how drug addiction can take hold of you and ruin your life.

Les
Old 25 January 2011, 12:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So now the mother is in jail the daughter has free rain to do as she pleases! I bet the authorities are really proud of themselves.
Old 25 January 2011, 12:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Hang on a minute!

What "drugs" are we talking about here?

This could be a huge over-reaction to catching the kid sneaking a spliff in the garden.

The article says "discovered only days before she was on drugs" now forgive me but if someone has a serious habbit you don't just discover it - its obvious. This would be something to do in a last resort measure not the very first time its realised what is going on.

To me, they handled the situation very badly, effectively attacked and imprisoned the girl and wonder why they get charged? If the police listened to the whole thing then they would no the difference between someone trying to help and someone dealing with that sort of situation in probably the worst way possible - the last resort IMO.
Old 25 January 2011, 12:10 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I have yes and I have had to hold my uncle down to stop him hitting his wife in front of his kids when I was 15 years old.

There is a way to do it, but you have to be careful and calm.
Old 25 January 2011, 12:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I have yes and I have had to hold my uncle down to stop him hitting his wife in front of his kids when I was 15 years old.

There is a way to do it, but you have to be careful and calm.
and when careful and calm fail to work???
Old 25 January 2011, 12:27 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

and when careful and calm fail to work???

Apparently you beat them, tie them up and go to prison for it ..
Old 25 January 2011, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Hang on a minute!

This could be a huge over-reaction to catching the kid sneaking a spliff in the garden.

The article says "discovered only days before she was on drugs" now forgive me but if someone has a serious habbit you don't just discover it - its obvious. This would be something to do in a last resort measure not the very first time its realised what is going on.

To me, they handled the situation very badly, effectively attacked and imprisoned the girl and wonder why they get charged? If the police listened to the whole thing then they would no the difference between someone trying to help and someone dealing with that sort of situation in probably the worst way possible - the last resort IMO.
Ordinary spliffs lead to Skunk which can cause schizophrenia and also lead to A class drugs with the ensuing ruination of a you person' life.

The mother was right to try to stop her.

Les
Old 25 January 2011, 12:35 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Hang on a minute!

To me, they handled the situation very badly, effectively attacked and
imprisoned the girl and wonder why they get charged? If the police listened to the whole thing then they would no the difference between someone trying to help and someone dealing with that sort of situation in probably the worst way possible - the last resort IMO.

That is true, I assumed it was something hardcore because if the way tha parents behaved.

However, from what I have read on here, one persons spliff is as bad as someone elses heroin.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 25 January 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 25 January 2011, 12:46 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Ordinary spliffs lead to Skunk which can cause schizophrenia and also lead to A class drugs with the ensuing ruination of a you person' life.

Les
+1

Regardless of the 'poison' - the outcome is often the same
Old 25 January 2011, 12:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
The g/f once took my handbag after a night out, emptied out everything she tought was worth nabbing.
That included some condoms, a glass nail file a few £ left over from that evening and a packet of scampi fries

Not the Scampi Fries............... the B!tch !!

Old 25 January 2011, 12:50 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

I thought that too lol

Some people.....................................:Suspic iou
Old 25 January 2011, 12:51 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

Originally Posted by Camoscooby
I thought that too lol

Some people.....................................:Suspic iou
I know! The bitch!
Old 25 January 2011, 01:15 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you get that from the Daily Mail? "Ordinary spliffs lead to skunk" doesn't make sense.

Unless you really know your plants or have grown it yourself from a confirmed source, you won't really know what strain your smoking. "skunk" as become the term for the ill-informed for nearly all strains of weed whereas its really just the name of one strain - which isn't even that strong.

An occasional puff of weed does not turn you into a heroin addict overnight. Again, another poor scare tactic which does nothing other than to make anxious parents panic even more when the issue arises - probably a contributory factor in the behaviour of the mother in this instance.

The mother and the other chap involved were out of order. "junkie" daughter - on what basis is this girl a junkie or "drug addict". I'm sorry but you don't just notice someone is addicted to drugs - jsut the same you don't just notice someone addicted to alcohol.

EDIT - found pictures of said girl on the Daily Fail website. Have to say she does look like she's been using - she has that look about her. If thats the case then perhaps it was the actions of people at their wits end. The comment that the mother "only just found out days before" doesn't ring true. Must have been going on for some time.

Last edited by EddScott; 25 January 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 25 January 2011, 01:27 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Did you get that from the Daily Mail? "Ordinary spliffs lead to skunk" doesn't make sense.

Unless you really know your plants or have grown it yourself from a confirmed source, you won't really know what strain your smoking. "skunk" as become the term for the ill-informed for nearly all strains of weed whereas its really just the name of one strain - which isn't even that strong.

An occasional puff of weed does not turn you into a heroin addict overnight. Again, another poor scare tactic which does nothing other than to make anxious parents panic even more when the issue arises - probably a contributory factor in the behaviour of the mother in this instance.

The mother and the other chap involved were out of order. "junkie" daughter - on what basis is this girl a junkie or "drug addict". I'm sorry but you don't just notice someone is addicted to drugs - jsut the same you don't just notice someone addicted to
alcohol.
That's all true, in my opinion. Although with addictions, you would notice someone who had a 'problem' with heroin a lot sooner than someone who had a 'problem with cannabis.

That said, you don't get any physical need for smoking cannabis, you don't go out looking for a score, and the behaviour from these two drugs are very different.

I also agree that the whole - cannabis leads to harder drugs is a load of rubbish. Someone who enjoys getting high off cannabis, is not living the same life as a heavy drug user.
Old 25 January 2011, 01:57 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

A Certain irony in that a parent with good intentions trying to stop her daughter from taking drugs is imprisoned yet all the parents who ignore the misuse or in some cases supply drugs/alcohol to their kids who then commit violent acts face no recriminations or responsibility...
Old 26 January 2011, 10:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The mother and the other chap involved were out of order. "junkie" daughter - on what basis is this girl a junkie or "drug addict". I'm sorry but you don't just notice someone is addicted to drugs - jsut the same you don't just notice someone addicted to alcohol.

EDIT - found pictures of said girl on the Daily Fail website. Have to say she does look like she's been using - she has that look about her. If thats the case then perhaps it was the actions of people at their wits end. The comment that the mother "only just found out days before" doesn't ring true. Must have been going on for some time.
As I understand it, Skunk is a version of marijuana which has been genetically changed to increase the effects and the speed of those effects on the body.

"An occasional puff" as you say would not harm of course but it does not stay like that does it? Some people spend the whole day stoking up the "high" that they are on , and it is a matter of common sense that is most likely to lead to class A drugs. Yopu cannot deny that.

How badly did that girl need her drugs do you think, and why?

I really dont need to read the Daily Mail to be able to form my own opinions, and neither would I. Are you a reader to be able to try to accuse me of that.

I am glad to say that I have never been tempted into using mind altering drugs, I like a drink and have so far been able to control my intake of alcohol, dont see that changing either.

You carry on as you please of course but please be more careful about your accusations in fiuture.

Les
Old 26 January 2011, 10:55 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Les
shut up, that is complete tripe if i ever heard it, your showing your age now pal!

EVERYONE i know smokes weed, from 14 year old little brothers to my mates dad who is head of manufacturing for audi and lives in germany through the week, my dentist smokes weed, my boss does, 99 percent of people under 50 round here that I speak to smoke at least once a week.

Why have none of theese people turned into class a monsters who kill for fun?

alocohol is worse for you both physically and mentally but the government fire their "drugs advisors" if they speak the truth!

weed could be taxed and make tens of millions for the condems coffers but the general public have blinkered views like yours so it will never happen!

I know weed dealers who wont sell to coke heads or smack heads, only felow hard working people who like a smoke at night. weed is alot more prevalent that you think, that why cheshire police feel the need to fly a chopper every two days looking for grows to stem the flow of weed but meanwhile forgetting its easier in this town to get an ounce of coke laid on for a week than it is to get a quarter of nice skunk cash, and that is wrong!

while cheshire police bust people who sell two ounces of weed a week the coke dealers are left alone, how does that work?
Old 26 January 2011, 11:00 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

As I understand it, Skunk is a version of marijuana which has been genetically changed to increase the effects and the speed of those effects on the body.

"An occasional puff" as you say would not harm of course but it does not stay like that does it? Some people spend the whole day stoking up the "high" that they are on , and it is a matter of common sense that is most likely to lead to class A drugs. Yopu cannot deny that.

How badly did that girl need her drugs do you think, and why?

I really dont need to read the Daily Mail to be able to form my own opinions, and neither would I. Are you a reader to be able to try to accuse me of that.

I am glad to say that I have never been tempted into using mind altering drugs, I like a drink and have so far been able to control my intake of alcohol, dont see that changing either.

You carry on as you please of course but please be more careful about your accusations in fiuture.

Les
skunk is stronger than "normal" weed but all that means is we smoke less for the same effect, better for your lungs and wallet.

I like a smoke but can control my "habbit" just like you control the alcohol.

Skunk is to spirits like hash is to a pint of fosters, same effect just less physical substance to take!

people that say weed leads to other drugs have no idea what they are talking about, dealers and peer pressure from your group of mates lead to experimentation, not thc itsself!
Old 26 January 2011, 11:09 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Les
Err, I don't think so Les. The girl was 18 and therefore it isn't really anyone's place to make her decisions for her, especially not the kind of decision made in the article. What would be justified IMO is if the daughter had made the conscious decision to be tied up herself in order to go cold turkey in the case of a heroin addiction etc. I'm not even sure of the legalities of that (where the daughter could clearly change her mind later on) but it does seem reasonable, and I'm sure it's been done many times. That Daily Mail story, on the other hand, just seems a bit crazy and OTT.
Old 26 January 2011, 11:21 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
shut up, that is complete tripe if i ever heard it, your showing your age now pal!

EVERYONE i know smokes weed, from 14 year old little brothers to my mates dad who is head of manufacturing for audi and lives in germany through the week, my dentist smokes weed, my boss does, 99 percent of people under 50 round here that I speak to smoke at least once a week.

Why have none of theese people turned into class a monsters who kill for fun?

alocohol is worse for you both physically and mentally but the government fire their "drugs advisors" if they speak the truth!

weed could be taxed and make tens of millions for the condems coffers but the general public have blinkered views like yours so it will never happen!

I know weed dealers who wont sell to coke heads or smack heads, only felow hard working people who like a smoke at night. weed is alot more prevalent that you think, that why cheshire police feel the need to fly a chopper every two days looking for grows to stem the flow of weed but meanwhile forgetting its easier in this town to get an ounce of coke laid on for a week than it is to get a quarter of nice skunk cash, and that is wrong!

while cheshire police bust people who sell two ounces of weed a week the coke dealers are left alone, how does that work?
I agree with you in the most part.

However I have seen people who have smoked cannabis get easily led astray onto other things. BUT, that has been mostly down to the company they keep, and not so much the fact they have gone looking for a stronger buzz.

Out of all my friends, I have only ever known one of them ever try harder drugs, and that was at some high flying corporate event where snorthing the white stuff was considered a normal everyday 'pick me up'.
Men in white suits drinking filtered coffee and snorting coke in the posh gents.......

How ironic is that?

It really isn't all as black and white as you smoke dope, therefore you are a druggy. '****' and alcohol are also a drug. So if you induldge in alcohol the same way someone induldges in cannabis, does that mean that you are both druggies? Or just trying to unwind in your own way after a hard day (or week) at work?

I think and being totally honest I personally found it (past tense) much easier to moderate the amount of cannabis that I smoked, to the amount of alcohol I drank as the effects of alcohol happen much slower than cannabis.

I have never seen anyone starting a fight down the local chippy because he's had a spliff and got the munchies, but I have seen a fair bit of the **I have had so much to drink, I think I am Superman, and i'm gonna smash your face in** going about after closing time.

Quick Reply: mother jailed for restaining junkie daughter