Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

will my car be written off?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2011, 04:39 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default will my car be written off?

An old fella drove into tHe back of me today. Small shunt but it has deformed my rear bumper and will need a new one plus sprayed up.. As my car is now worth £1000 or less. Do you think it will be written off?

It also looks as though my exhaust has been hit but won't know the damage until a garage looks at it but I'm properly gutted. I have agreed to keep his insurance out of it for the meantime but have informed mine as he wants to pay for the repairs himself so hopefully I'm doing the right thing. Not interested in whiplash etc even though my back in a bit sore, I just want car fixed
Old 22 January 2011, 04:44 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It never just rains for you mate does it. I would imagine it could be written off if you go through the insurance, but I suppose if the guy wants to pay for the repairs out of his own pocket and you can get second hand parts you may keep the cost favorable.
Old 22 January 2011, 04:48 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

It would not be written off for just the bumper unless the rear slam panel has been hit also.
You can also say to the insurance you don't want it wrote off,you have more control with them than most believe mate.
Old 22 January 2011, 04:50 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I think it'll end up going thru the insurance to be truthful as the garage I have used previously for paint work aint cheap but they aren't cheap for very good reason and I wouldn't have anyone else touch the car bodywork wise.
Old 22 January 2011, 04:52 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

When speaking to them don't forget to say YOU want it to go to your garage of choice and not there approved one,most again believe that they have no control on that also
Old 22 January 2011, 04:57 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
When speaking to them don't forget to say YOU want it to go to your garage of choice and not there approved one,most again believe that they have no control on that also
I'm well versed in this one, a whitevan man drove into the side of me 15months ago!
Old 22 January 2011, 04:59 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I'm well versed in this one, a whitevan man drove into the side of me 15months ago!
Not had alot of luck with your motor when it comes to crashes then aye
Old 22 January 2011, 05:01 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Chances are it may be written off .
I had an old XR2 years ago and someone ran in the back of it when the wife was driving it .Only looked like bumper damage to be honest .Drove perfectly fine.They had a look and said by the time they got a new bumper and sprayed it etc it would not be worth it .Got £600 for it and they let us keep the car ,which we ran for another 3 yrs or so .!!!!
Old 22 January 2011, 06:29 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

get a professional to assess your injuries! i know the usual argument will be made but its not your place to assess wether your injuries are short term. also not claiming due to rising insurance quotes etc. etc. will not make any diffrence to your (nor mine) renewal. unfortunately.
Old 22 January 2011, 07:50 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Not had alot of luck with your motor when it comes to crashes then aye
Definitely not mate, just had someone last week put a lovely dent in my passenger door after leaving it unattended in a car park whilst leaving a few blu-rays back that I rented. I couldn't have been away for any longer than 2 minutes.

The most annoying part though is that last month I just put a new power steering reservior, clutch and thermostat in her.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 22 January 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 22 January 2011, 07:52 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 23 January 2011, 04:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I had an MG ZT written off valued at £2200 because it needed a new rear bumper and reversing sensors, no other damage.
I'm guessing the car will be a writeoff
Old 23 January 2011, 06:38 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

a slightly rather dodgy question but if I come back tomorrow with an estimate the fella can't stump up for and we got the the insurance companies. Would I be best to take out my ICE etc before his insurance company gets to it? As i'd rather not give my car away with all the nice bits still attached as I would just replace it with another Alfa anyway.
Old 23 January 2011, 06:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

take as many bits off he car as you can get away with.
Old 23 January 2011, 07:51 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Last year somebody ran into the back of my Mrs Mondeo damaging the bumper only. We were insured with A Plan at the time and when she rang them was told to speak with Helphire as they deal with all 3rd party claims. It took one month for them just to fit a new bumper because, despite the car being booked in, the repairer wasn't even in a position to even look at the car for nearly three weeks.
I imagine the final invoice would have been mostly hire car charges and quite close to being written off.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:23 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

An old fella drove into tHe back of me today. Small shunt but it has deformed my rear bumper and will need a new one plus sprayed up.. As my car is now worth £1000 or less. Do you think it will be written off?

It also looks as though my exhaust has been hit but won't know the damage until a garage looks at it but I'm properly gutted. I have agreed to keep his insurance out of it for the meantime but have informed mine as he wants to pay for the repairs himself so hopefully I'm doing the right thing. Not interested in whiplash etc even though my back in a bit sore, I just want car fixed
Bloody hell James
Not having much luck with that car at this time

If they exhaust is damaged then I'd be inclined to say it will be writtten off.
And the old guy is probably delusioned on how much it'll actually cost to fix.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:45 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Bloody hell James
Not having much luck with that car at this time

If they exhaust is damaged then I'd be inclined to say it will be writtten off.
And the old guy is probably delusioned on how much it'll actually cost to fix.
Mate I know, it is literally somerhing new every week!

The guys at Larne Coachworks are checking it out now, the exhaust seems fine but they have it up on the ramps looking for any damage.

Being stuck in larne for an hour or two is grim but being stuck in Larne without a wallet is suicidal!
Old 24 January 2011, 10:48 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Being stuck in Larne without some form of a weapon for protection would bother me to be honest
Old 24 January 2011, 10:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I expect that if they wrote it off you would get very little cash back for the car. Certainly better if you could persuade the bloke who hit you to pay for the repair himself so that he can save his NCB and his driving record.

If it is written off you should certainly remove all the extras, they won't affect the car's value to the insurance company.

Les
Old 24 January 2011, 10:59 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Likely written off mate. assuming your car is worth 1K and lets face it insurance will undervalue it anyway.

Bumper, paint and labour likely to be best part of 600.00-700 and this assumes no damage under the bumper once removed - creases to boot floor, etc.

Might be worth it being written off then buying the car back from the ins company for next to nothing - £200.00 est. and repairing yourself if you really 'love' the car. second-hand bumper, prep it yourself and get it painted - you could easily get away with £ 200-250.00

IMHO
Old 24 January 2011, 11:31 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Getting a quote drawn up now, bad news is the boot floor has been damaged although apparently they think it can be fixed. the bumper beam support yoke needs replaced and then the bumper itself. The only good news is that the exhaust is grand.

Once i've added in the cost of a rental car I doubt the fella will want to pay for all that out of his own pocket.
Old 24 January 2011, 11:35 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Being stuck in Larne without some form of a weapon for protection would bother me to be honest
Back home safe thank ****, it really is a fooking dump!
Old 24 January 2011, 12:30 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Back home safe thank ****, it really is a fooking dump!

Did they provide a quote?

Noting boot floor & bumper, write off seems likely. As has been suggested this would likely be a Cat D total loss, so you can keep the salvage (ie the car!) if you request this from the insurer. Make sure the garage tell the assessor (or you do) if it goes through insurance. As for taking bits off, won't really matter if you are keeping it, although I'd be inclined to take the ICE out. If you weren't keeping the salvage they may take some extra cash off for this.

Good luck anyway!

Andy
Old 24 January 2011, 04:45 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Well got the quote, it was £750 roughly in total. Went down to the fellas house who hit me and he's agreed to pay it without much fuss! Felt sorry for the guy he was very shaken up by the whole incident, his wife tried to pin some of the blame on me as apparently it looked as though I was going to run the red light but I put a stop to that straight away other than that everything went easy.
Old 24 January 2011, 05:52 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Hope he coughs up. I had something similar years ago (was stationary at a junction and rear ended) and the guy took 3 months to fully pay for the damage.
Old 24 January 2011, 06:30 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Hope he coughs up. I had something similar years ago (was stationary at a junction and rear ended) and the guy took 3 months to fully pay for the damage.
I suspect there is a reason he doesn't want to go thru insurance other than ruining his NCB but if he doesn't cough up within a reasonable time period, I'll get the insurance companies involved.
Old 25 January 2011, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Best way as long as he pays I reckon.

Les
Old 26 January 2011, 08:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Well i'm now pretty miserable to be honest. the fella in the back of my car suddenly has got a "bad back" so we've got no choice but to go through the insurance companies. My car is get binned I think

Lesson duly learnt, do not give co-workers lifts to work. It isn't worth the hassle.
Old 26 January 2011, 08:07 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Well i'm now pretty miserable to be honest. the fella in the back of my car suddenly has got a "bad back" so we've got no choice but to go through the insurance companies. My car is get binned I think

Lesson duly learnt, do not give co-workers lifts to work. It isn't worth the hassle.
That's a bit of bugger, mate.

Can't you just knee-cap your co- worker to take his mind off his back, and thus keep your car?

Old 26 January 2011, 08:13 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

the thought has crossed my mind. I can't say i'm shocked to be honest, the youth love a bit of claim culture.

I felt terrible telling the old man tonight that we'd have to go thru the insurance now because of this, he isn't a well man and i doubt he needs something like this on his mind.

Quick Reply: will my car be written off?