Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2011, 03:20 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight problem with something I bought of a member

Hi

Just looking for a quick bit of advice really,

I bought 2nd hand coilovers from someone on here around 2.5 months ago, fitted them to the car and they were fine.

Now, when I've asked a garage to adjust them for me they're saying to me the seats on 2 of them are nakered and the rear one is clunking when going over bumps etc

Where do I stand ? do I just need to put it down as a loss in the books ?

thanks
Old 20 January 2011, 03:29 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have identified the problems when you bought them.
You say you fitted them and they were fine and the garage say they are now clunking?
2 1/2 months down the line is too long to expect the seller to take responsibility.
Old 20 January 2011, 03:34 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

thought so !

thanks
Old 20 January 2011, 04:05 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Always the risk of buying second hand, as long as the goods fit the description upon receipt the seller has no responsibility I believe.

I have sold something in perfect working order and in good faith once only for the item to fail 8 weeks later (it was a PC) - buyer tried to get full refund but I stood firm as the unit worked when sold and I couldnt account for how it was used by the buyer during that time.
Old 20 January 2011, 04:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Although it's not helpful it's said that you buy cheap & buy twice ... lesson learnt

TX.
Old 20 January 2011, 06:47 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I doubt you would have any leg to stand on, but you could always have a discussion with the seller they may feel sorry for you and give you something back?
Old 20 January 2011, 11:21 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Would you Paul?

I sold my previous Scooby a while back for £6K. Went on a 3 week holiday, came back to a voicemail message saying that the clutch had gone! Felt sorry for the guy but he took it out for a test drive and there was nothing to indicate a problem. For all I knew he'd been redline launching it every day for 3 weeks - now "how is that my problem"?
Old 20 January 2011, 11:33 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ You probably sold it f*cked

TX.
Old 22 January 2011, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No harm in mentioning it to the seller really.

Les
Old 22 January 2011, 03:37 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Would you Paul?

I sold my previous Scooby a while back for £6K. Went on a 3 week holiday, came back to a voicemail message saying that the clutch had gone! Felt sorry for the guy but he took it out for a test drive and there was nothing to indicate a problem. For all I knew he'd been redline launching it every day for 3 weeks - now "how is that my problem"?
The worse thing that could happen is nothing.
Old 22 January 2011, 03:50 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Bought as seen- if you want a guarantee buynew- if not, take your chances.
Old 23 January 2011, 12:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Seriously can't believe some people.
I used to be in the fork lift truck game and have sold a few in my time.
I was in London one day and I got a call from a guy I sold a truck to over a year ago.
He was moaning that there was now play in the steering and that the tyres needed to be recut and he wanted me to foot the bill. He only paid just over £1k for it as well!
Not sure how you say **** off politely but I did manage not to laugh!

If you buy 2nd hand, it is because you can't afford to buy new. But, in doing so, you accept the risk that it may not last as long as a new item. Deal with it.
Old 23 January 2011, 12:38 PM
DeeH
Scooby Regular

Two and a half months is too long, especially for an item that by its nature is consumable (clutch, shocks, brakes, etc).
Old 23 January 2011, 02:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Would you Paul?

I can understand your scenario, but I had a real bad experience once. I always buy my cars from established car dealers as part-ex. but only once in my life time I bought an AudiA4 privately from a flashy bloke. it looked emaculate. He told me that the car always had regular services, but he didn't keep all the record. I trusted him like a d**k The car drove like a dream for 9 days, but then the timing belt snapped on the tenth day, OUCH!!! He sold me the heap as seen, and when contacting, he asked me to call him again to sort something out. But then he stopped taking my calls. That flashy bloke was very dodgy, indeed.

Lesson learnt.

There is always a risk with second hand cars, car parts etc. One can't do much TBH.
Old 23 January 2011, 02:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I can understand your scenario, but I had a real bad experience once. I always buy my cars from established car dealers as part-ex. but only once in my life time I bought an AudiA4 privately from a flashy bloke. it looked emaculate. He told me that the car always had regular services, but he didn't keep all the record. I trusted him like a d**k The car drove like a dream for 9 days, but then the timing belt snapped on the tenth day, OUCH!!! He sold me the heap as seen, and when contacting, he asked me to call him again to sort something out. But then he stopped taking my calls. That flashy bloke was very dodgy, indeed.

Lesson learnt.

There is always a risk with second hand cars, car parts etc. One can't do much TBH.
Good points, and generally why you will pay more from a dealers than a private sale. If you are preapred to do that then you get a little more protection. It obviously depends on many variables as you'll know Swati,

Age of car
Value
Knowledge of said car - cars in general
etc, etc.

I've only bought one car from a forecourt, my first one. That cost me £400 after a couple weeks of drivng due to a buggered cam seal which required a new pulley as well. As a new driver it took the gloss off it a bit, especially as you expect more than 2 weeks reliable driving from a forecourt car.

Now, I'm very scrupulous when looking at cars private and always have a knowledgeable head with me
Old 23 January 2011, 03:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Good points, and generally why you will pay more from a dealers than a private sale. If you are preapred to do that then you get a little more protection. It obviously depends on many variables as you'll know Swati,

Age of car
Value
Knowledge of said car - cars in general
etc, etc.

I've only bought one car from a forecourt, my first one. That cost me £400 after a couple weeks of drivng due to a buggered cam seal which required a new pulley as well. As a new driver it took the gloss off it a bit, especially as you expect more than 2 weeks reliable driving from a forecourt car.

Now, I'm very scrupulous when looking at cars private and always have a knowledgeable head with me
True, COB.

Once bitten, always shy! I shan't go for a private sale ever, if I can help. Nor shall I buy from the dealers that are dodgy. My current car is from a very well-known and a reliable dealer. The only pain is that via them, I keep getting new deal invitations from main VW people. This moiders me a bit, but I can put up with that. At least I have a reliable workhorse
Old 24 January 2011, 10:02 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Seriously can't believe some people.
I used to be in the fork lift truck game and have sold a few in my time.
I was in London one day and I got a call from a guy I sold a truck to over a year ago.
He was moaning that there was now play in the steering and that the tyres needed to be recut and he wanted me to foot the bill. He only paid just over £1k for it as well!
Not sure how you say **** off politely but I did manage not to laugh!

If you buy 2nd hand, it is because you can't afford to buy new. But, in doing so, you accept the risk that it may not last as long as a new item. Deal with it.
Thats just a d*cks reply

IMO they were sold to me f*cked, I've barely done 1000 miles in the time they've been on, the only reason I didn't notice as I'm not that clued up on coilovers, I bet a mechanic woulda spotted it straight away ! As soon as they were adjusted from the height they were sold to me at the condition became apparant

Not much I can do now though...............

Does anyone know if I can get coilovers refurbed ?
Old 24 January 2011, 10:11 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stef_2010
Thats just a d*cks reply

IMO they were sold to me f*cked, I've barely done 1000 miles in the time they've been on, the only reason I didn't notice as I'm not that clued up on coilovers, I bet a mechanic woulda spotted it straight away ! As soon as they were adjusted from the height they were sold to me at the condition became apparant

Not much I can do now though...............

Does anyone know if I can get coilovers refurbed ?
Why is it? He sold it and after a year after the buyer was asking for the seller to replace things that naturally wear out??

With all due respect, if you knew nothing about what you were buying then you should have taken someone with you for a second opinion. When buying second hand it is always 'BUYER BEWARE'

Chance you take with second hand parts I'm afraid.......

What make are the coilies? This will be the difference between finding parts for the refurb or not being able to find them.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:17 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Why is it? He sold it and after a year after the buyer was asking for the seller to replace things that naturally wear out??

With all due respect, if you knew nothing about what you were buying then you should have taken someone with you for a second opinion. When buying second hand it is always 'BUYER BEWARE'

Chance you take with second hand parts I'm afraid.......

What make are the coilies? This will be the difference between finding parts for the refurb or not being able to find them.
I wasnt on about his story I was on about they way he seemed to react to my post

and I agree asking for something after a year is rediculous

Coilovers are Cusco, any help ?