Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

great deal from virgin media

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2011, 06:12 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile great deal from virgin media

i just got phone line 50meg broadband and full tv package for 3 rooms for £83 a month
Old 18 January 2011, 06:16 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grand a year! Bargain.
Old 18 January 2011, 06:26 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

better than sky could have done for me so im happy
Old 18 January 2011, 06:40 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

£95 a month, with licence though.

50meg is £35 from Virgin, add a Skype setup and I assume mobiles with minutes for calls, that is 50 notes for TV.
Old 18 January 2011, 06:47 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

yip £35 for broadband £12.50 for phone so £36 for full tv package with 2extra boxes sky cant beat that and you pay for tv licence anyway
Old 18 January 2011, 08:21 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

??

£13.50 for my BB
£24 for Sky
£10 for my calls max!

I make that £47.50 a month

and i have sky in 2 rooms

Bargain

Mart
Old 18 January 2011, 08:31 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Is you bb 50meg for that price
Does your sky package include movies/all sport including espn
My call free just line rental
Old 18 January 2011, 08:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Yeah but virgin tv is ****e
Old 18 January 2011, 10:11 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Freeview.

No ****e on, and £0.00 in as many rooms as you want.
Old 18 January 2011, 10:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You get a free tv license now Chips ?
Old 18 January 2011, 11:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
You get a free tv license now Chips ?
He meant no extra money on top of the TV licence, you fool!

His missus might be paying for the TV licence while he could have bought Freeview boxes for the rooms before the VAT went up? Hope it settles your head, dpb.

LOL

Anyway, I thought BT deal for business was a rip off at something like 45 quids per month for broadband and telephone package? Obviously not. I bet Virgin etc. aren't much different with their charges for business.

Last edited by Turbohot; 18 January 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 19 January 2011, 12:19 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I don't pay a TVLA fee aka tax to the BBC, btw.

Telly to my family is, when we want it, watch it, when we like, in any room with a ethernet cable, or they can watch stuff on on catchup, Iplayer, 4OD etc

Worse people would put array LNBs on there Sky satellite, pointing Europe.
Old 19 January 2011, 12:44 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
i just got phone line 50meg broadband and full tv package for 3 rooms for £83 a month
Suppose it's not too bad if you watch alot of movies/sport and you really need that speed BB.

I find it's not even worth paying the extra with sky for the movies/sport so our bill for tv, phone and BB is around £54 per month (would be £44 but we have multi-room). Granted sky BB isn't as fast, but tbh, I can handle that.

Being fair, the price for either Sky or Virgin for matching specs is about the same, it's just the breakdown that'll be different.
Old 19 January 2011, 06:48 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Need bb 6 kids 6 xboxes all online gaming and i download
Old 19 January 2011, 07:03 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Virgin media boxes can be a bit sluggish when compared with sky but they are light years ahead in terms of stuff to watch. Catch up/on demand tv is so much better than sky, you can choose almost any series and any program and watch it instantly not sure I would want to pay 83 a month, maybe I will call them and see what they can do for me..........
Old 19 January 2011, 07:07 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I upgraded with VM a few months back after a payrise at work. Got 10mb broadband, free calls and XL tv package w/ movies and sports for £65.74 pm. Will be about £68 now with the vat rise bit a good deal really. Supposed to be over £90 pm before haggling starts

Sky can't match it and a BT broadband line round here is awfully slow so would never get a scent speed through Sky via BT.

Happy with the service to be fair...
Old 19 January 2011, 07:33 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got two 50Mb BBI connections, three 20Mb, two STBs with full packages and a phone line with unlimited calls ..

I pay £24.99 a month .. (Damn you movies)
Old 19 January 2011, 09:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I just don't get it, to me these figures are obscene just for watching the "Drug of the Nation"

Virgin BB is great though, I've been a customer for 12 or more years and service has been perfect. Unless you include the yearly call to get my rate down.
Old 19 January 2011, 10:15 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Virgin media boxes can be a bit sluggish when compared with sky but they are light years ahead in terms of stuff to watch. Catch up/on demand tv is so much better than sky, you can choose almost any series and any program and watch it instantly not sure I would want to pay 83 a month, maybe I will call them and see what they can do for me..........
I'm sorry but I disagree the on demand is on when it works! , I had it for 3 weeks and sent it back.

As for being light years ahead their hd selection is poor and if you want it there's no hd channel.

Father in law on his 4th v+ box In the last 6months
Old 19 January 2011, 10:21 AM
michael_scooby
Scooby Newbie

agree the tv isnt as good as sky, broadbands really good though, got a mate who works there so got 505 off, xl tv package unlimited anytime calls and 20 mb bb for around 35 a month
Old 19 January 2011, 10:47 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
I'm sorry but I disagree the on demand is on when it works! , I had it for 3 weeks and sent it back.

As for being light years ahead their hd selection is poor and if you want it there's no hd channel.

Father in law on his 4th v+ box In the last 6months
only had a problem with the on demand once...(broadband stopped working as well for a few hours) I have iplayer, itv player,4OD a stack of on demand in HD plus loads of other stuff, just about every music video all at my finger tips.

I am sure virgin has about a Dozen HD channels but i always forget to change to them because the SD looks so good I don't seem to have the same problem I had with sky either when ever its raining/snowing/windy i dont lose my picture!

I have never used the V+ part because I have every program and series I could ever want , even though your father in law has had to have 4 boxes he is still sticking with virgin, that speaks volumes!
Old 19 January 2011, 10:53 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It would be interesting to see if people actually get the 50meg that they are paying for.

I only have 20 meg and that doesn't get close to 20 on some days. A speed test averages at about 13 meg, but to be honest, that is good for what I use it for, well most of the time.

Virgin tend to throttle the bandwith after I have downloaded so much data, so after then its stupidly slow to download anything. And the 20 meg might as well be replaced by a hampster on a wheel.

BUT, I cannot fault the tv service at all. I use oon demand all the time, because 'normal' tv is crap, and when you pick from the tv choice menu most US programs are broadcast in HD so you get the choice of either HD or not.
I suppose not many people know that though.
You can also record two programs, and watch a third, or watch something you have recorded, or pick from the on on demand features. You can also set a program to record and then watch it from the record function.

In my opinion it does have better usage than the sky box.

I don't have the full movies and sport package, I have the standard XL package, two boxes, the phoneline with unlimeted calls to 01 and 02 numbers and 20meg broadband for less the £50.
Old 19 January 2011, 11:02 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
It would be interesting to see if people actually get the 50meg that they are paying for.

I only have 20 meg and that doesn't get close to 20 on some days. A speed test averages at about 13 meg, but to be honest, that is good for what I use it for, well most of the time.

Virgin tend to throttle the bandwith after I have downloaded so much data, so after then its stupidly slow to download anything. And the 20 meg might as well be replaced by a hampster on a wheel.

BUT, I cannot fault the tv service at all. I use oon demand all the time, because 'normal' tv is crap, and when you pick from the tv choice menu most US programs are broadcast in HD so you get the choice of either HD or not.
You can also record two programs, and watch a third, or watch something you have recorded, or pick from the on on demand features. You can also set a program to record and then watch it from the record function.

I don't have the full movies and sport package, I have the standard XL package, two boxes, the phoneline with unlimeted calls to 01 and 02 numbers and 20meg broadband for less the £50.
50meg is not restricted at peak times for major downloading, have you actually told virgin about your slow speed? I contacted them via twitter with a problem I had and I had a virgin media guy out the next afternoon, I was very impressed!

I currently have 10mb and it speed checks at a constant 9.9 to 10.1 every time I have checked, where as my BT line at work that is 500 metres from the exchange goes from 2mb to 8mb
Old 19 January 2011, 11:05 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

50meg is not restricted at peak times for major downloading, have you actually told virgin about your slow speed? I contacted them via twitter with a problem I had and I had a virgin media guy out the next afternoon, I was very impressed!

I currently have 10mb and it speed checks at a constant 9.9 to 10.1 every time I have checked, where as my BT line at work that is 500 metres from the exchange goes from 2mb to 8mb
Yes, I have spoken to them. They said that I download too much data. It is in their terms and conditions that under these circumstances it is standard practice.

It doesn't bother me too much, I can only download and watch so much ****.

Old 19 January 2011, 11:21 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

IMO Virgin TV is MILES better than Sky, so much to choose from, so much music, so many films, so many tv series all at my fingertips, I very rarely watch 'live tv' nowadays

I have to admit though my V+ box is a bit of a stinker
Old 19 January 2011, 11:21 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get full speed on two 50Mb modems at the same time . all the time ..

Yes, I have spoken to them. They said that I download too much data. It is in their terms and conditions that under these circumstances it is standard practice.

It doesn't bother me too much, I can only download and watch so much ****.

Well thats crap, firstly there is never enough ****.. and secondly 13Mb is not 20Mb ..
Old 19 January 2011, 11:44 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I get full speed on two 50Mb modems at the same time . all the time ..

Well thats crap, firstly there is never enough ****.. and secondly 13Mb is not 20Mb ..
Well maybe you can tell me my best course of action... You are the man from Virgin Media
Old 19 January 2011, 11:58 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

only had a problem with the on demand once...(broadband stopped working as well for a few hours) I have iplayer, itv player,4OD a stack of on demand in HD plus loads of other stuff, just about every music video all at my finger tips.

I am sure virgin has about a Dozen HD channels but i always forget to change to them because the SD looks so good I don't seem to have the same problem I had with sky either when ever its raining/snowing/windy i dont lose my picture!

I have never used the V+ part because I have every program and series I could ever want , even though your father in law has had to have 4 boxes he is still sticking with virgin, that speaks volumes!
He's only with then because he's in his first year so doesn't speak volumes at all.

He's going on sky HD when his time is up.
Old 19 January 2011, 12:01 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Wrong!

50mb is restricted now through newsgroup port numbers and bittorrent
Old 19 January 2011, 03:15 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

All Virgin packages are currently half price for six months plus you can get £100 cashback via Quidco.

XL everything (didn't see if you had additional HD activated boxes so just used HD ready) =

Monthly cost

Your bundle £28.56

Virgin phone line £12.24

Your extras £20.00

Total £60.80

£60.80 for first 6 months = £364.80
£85.30 after that = £511.80
Total = £876.60
Minus Cashback (£100) = £776.60

Quick Reply: great deal from virgin media